.21 engine problems

Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Crazycajun322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 134
Default .21 engine problems

so heres the problem. i fire up my buggy, and it idles perfectly, not a hiccup. i tap the throttle, it revs up fine, but once i hit the throttle with a little more bite, when i let off, it just cuts the engine. i thought it was running lean because of the weather, plus its cold, so i richened it up alot, same issue.
Crazycajun322 is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM
  #2  
Suspended
iTrader: (202)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Crazycajun322 View Post
so heres the problem. i fire up my buggy, and it idles perfectly, not a hiccup. i tap the throttle, it revs up fine, but once i hit the throttle with a little more bite, when i let off, it just cuts the engine. i thought it was running lean because of the weather, plus its cold, so i richened it up alot, same issue.
sounds like bad plug
inferno13 is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:27 PM
  #3  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Crazycajun322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 134
Default

thats what i thought at first too, but i stuck the glow starter back in after it sat for a minute, and it fired right back up. i must've done this 20 times while fooling with the needles
Crazycajun322 is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
offr0aden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: An Offroad track near you!!
Posts: 1,097
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Crazycajun322 View Post
thats what i thought at first too, but i stuck the glow starter back in after it sat for a minute, and it fired right back up. i must've done this 20 times while fooling with the needles
Have you checked your clutch springs / what type of clutch are you running. I've had clutch springs at idle work fine - once I got going and tried to drive / brake the engine would die due to the shoe dragging. Could even have a broken spring.
offr0aden is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 PM
  #5  
Suspended
iTrader: (202)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Crazycajun322 View Post
thats what i thought at first too, but i stuck the glow starter back in after it sat for a minute, and it fired right back up. i must've done this 20 times while fooling with the needles
try leaving the glow ignighter on it when you run it
inferno13 is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:35 PM
  #6  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Crazycajun322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 134
Default

its just a standard ofna 3 shoe. never had any problems like this. Granted, my buggy was sitting on a shelf for about a month and a half, so anything could've happened to th car, but before i started it again, i took the engine apart and gave it a thorough cleaning.
Crazycajun322 is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:37 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Crazycajun322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 134
Default

Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
try leaving the glow ignighter on it when you run it
ya ill try that, but it just got dark, and its about 35 degrees outside, so i might just wait till tomorrow
Crazycajun322 is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
  #8  
Suspended
iTrader: (202)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Crazycajun322 View Post
ya ill try that, but it just got dark, and its about 35 degrees outside, so i might just wait till tomorrow
i bet if you leave the ignighter on it will run perfect, just because the plug lights up and starts the engine does not mean its good, either plug is bad or you need a hotter plug.
inferno13 is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:59 PM
  #9  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Crazycajun322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 134
Default

Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
i bet if you leave the ignighter on it will run perfect, just because the plug lights up and starts the engine does not mean its good, either plug is bad or you need a hotter plug.
Ya i see what you mean. I run O.S. #8's recommended by my LHS, and they have worked pretty well so far. do you think the cold has affected the plug too?
Crazycajun322 is offline  
Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (45)
 
boomgagem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, GA
Posts: 1,577
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Check the clutch/bearings as well.
boomgagem is offline  
Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 PM
  #11  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Crazycajun322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 134
Default

turns out it was the plug. runs good now, although its bitter cold outside so its been acting up a little bit, but nothing out of the ordinary
Crazycajun322 is offline  
Old 12-02-2010, 04:41 PM
  #12  
Suspended
iTrader: (202)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Crazycajun322 View Post
turns out it was the plug. runs good now, although its bitter cold outside so its been acting up a little bit, but nothing out of the ordinary
inferno13 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.