Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
RcRenew.com engine resizing and epoxy crank re-filling >

RcRenew.com engine resizing and epoxy crank re-filling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

RcRenew.com engine resizing and epoxy crank re-filling

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

Lance, got your email with the tracking info. Thanks for the quick service man. Cant wait to get this thing back in the car and ripping
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Lance
The 3 sets have arrived. Looks like they were held up this end in customs/dispatch. I should have time to run the Bonito in before our next meeting and will post some feed back after the race.
Thanks Dave
Old 08-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sounds good thanks guys. Keep me posted

Lance
RcRenew
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Thanks

Thanks Lance for taking care of my babies and for the quick turnaround.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

Got the Orion in the mail yesterday! You are the man lance. Will let you all know how it does
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
Got the Orion in the mail yesterday! You are the man lance. Will let you all know how it does
Get ready for a whole new animal

You shoould see a huge power increase as well as better mileage.

Keep us posted.

Take care,

Lance
RcRenew
Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lee_double2000
Thanks Lance for taking care of my babies and for the quick turnaround.
No problem. I Appreciate the work guys.

Lance
RcRenew
Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Default Argus vs B5 Comparison

As promised, having now raced this Argus 52 a few times here is my comparison to the Werks B5 which I raced for about 6 months. Please keep in mind that so far I only have about 1 gallon thru the Argus, both were modded for performance and mileage, and in the end this is only MY OPINION! Both were run on Cold Fusion Fuel 30%, an M2C 4-shoe variable flywheel clutch system with 2/.95 & 2/1.0 springs and an Answer RC vented clutch bell, the B5 on a Werks 2013 pipe & the Argus on an Aplus 0801 pipe, and both mounted up in my Hot Bodies D8T truggy sporting Sweep's Square Armor treads (there, I think that about covers all the particulars and sponsors lol!)

Low end grunt: Advantage Argus. The B5 pulls good on the low end, but geared the same the Argus has more snap and initial on-power feeling. With the Argus there were absolutely NO jumps that I couldn't clear with very little run-up, and I found myself not worrying about having to "set-up" the truggy for each jump as I did with the B5...just pull the trigger and jump with no worries.

High Speed: Advantage Argus. The B5 is a very fast engine, and was quicker than any other engine I'd had before...until this Argus. It's wicked fast, and at only 1 gallon I know that there's much more coming. I'm also still running it on the rich side a bit until it drops it's cajones...I can't imagine how fast it will be then!

Tuneability: Advantage Argus. This engine is not only very easy to tune, but it keeps it's tune consistantly. The only negative so far is that at start-up the Argus is very cold-blooded and takes a while to warm up on the box whereas the B5 ran pretty evenly right at start-up. And yes...I religiously preheated them both with a Competition Heat head warmer! Once warmed up, the Argus idles very consistantly and I have had NO flame-out issues with it whatsoever. The B5 would occasionally flame-out for no apparent reason, but as we know this is usually circumstantial and not always the engine's fault.

Mileage/Run-time: Advantage B5 (so far). I was consistantly getting 11 1/2 to 12 minutes per tank with the B5. Now granted I'm not pushing this Argus hard yet, and haven't really leaned it out to it's max, but at 1 gallon I'm easily getting 10+ minutes which I expect will increase over time.

Power Band: Equally smooth on both engines. Neither of them hits like a light switch, but I seem to drive smoother and under more control with the Argus because it allows me to jump so effortlessly.

Conclusion: Now that I've rambled on for way too long...I'm in love with this Argus! Look...I'm just your average club racer who has to really work hard to make an A-main at any event, but I appreciate being able to focus all my attention on bettering my driving skills and not having to worry one bit about my engine's performance...and I get this with the Argus. I'm not saying it's the best for you...but it certainly is for me! This is just my unsolicited and objective opinion. If you're considering an engine of this type and price range you certainly should consider checking out the Argus 52. Look me up at a track somewhere in NorCal and I'll be happy to let you take it for a test drive...but be prepared to get hooked! Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll answer them as honestly as I can.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

How many times can a motor be pinched?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgeezer
As promised, having now raced this Argus 52 a few times here is my comparison to the Werks B5 which I raced for about 6 months. Please keep in mind that so far I only have about 1 gallon thru the Argus, both were modded for performance and mileage, and in the end this is only MY OPINION! Both were run on Cold Fusion Fuel 30%, an M2C 4-shoe variable flywheel clutch system with 2/.95 & 2/1.0 springs and an Answer RC vented clutch bell, the B5 on a Werks 2013 pipe & the Argus on an Aplus 0801 pipe, and both mounted up in my Hot Bodies D8T truggy sporting Sweep's Square Armor treads (there, I think that about covers all the particulars and sponsors lol!)

Low end grunt: Advantage Argus. The B5 pulls good on the low end, but geared the same the Argus has more snap and initial on-power feeling. With the Argus there were absolutely NO jumps that I couldn't clear with very little run-up, and I found myself not worrying about having to "set-up" the truggy for each jump as I did with the B5...just pull the trigger and jump with no worries.

High Speed: Advantage Argus. The B5 is a very fast engine, and was quicker than any other engine I'd had before...until this Argus. It's wicked fast, and at only 1 gallon I know that there's much more coming. I'm also still running it on the rich side a bit until it drops it's cajones...I can't imagine how fast it will be then!

Tuneability: Advantage Argus. This engine is not only very easy to tune, but it keeps it's tune consistantly. The only negative so far is that at start-up the Argus is very cold-blooded and takes a while to warm up on the box whereas the B5 ran pretty evenly right at start-up. And yes...I religiously preheated them both with a Competition Heat head warmer! Once warmed up, the Argus idles very consistantly and I have had NO flame-out issues with it whatsoever. The B5 would occasionally flame-out for no apparent reason, but as we know this is usually circumstantial and not always the engine's fault.

Mileage/Run-time: Advantage B5 (so far). I was consistantly getting 11 1/2 to 12 minutes per tank with the B5. Now granted I'm not pushing this Argus hard yet, and haven't really leaned it out to it's max, but at 1 gallon I'm easily getting 10+ minutes which I expect will increase over time.

Power Band: Equally smooth on both engines. Neither of them hits like a light switch, but I seem to drive smoother and under more control with the Argus because it allows me to jump so effortlessly.

Conclusion: Now that I've rambled on for way too long...I'm in love with this Argus! Look...I'm just your average club racer who has to really work hard to make an A-main at any event, but I appreciate being able to focus all my attention on bettering my driving skills and not having to worry one bit about my engine's performance...and I get this with the Argus. I'm not saying it's the best for you...but it certainly is for me! This is just my unsolicited and objective opinion. If you're considering an engine of this type and price range you certainly should consider checking out the Argus 52. Look me up at a track somewhere in NorCal and I'll be happy to let you take it for a test drive...but be prepared to get hooked! Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll answer them as honestly as I can.
Hello RC Geezer, just to make sure that there is no confusion here amongst people reading this, I think that it's probably a good point to re-iterate that you are comparing a non-stock B5 that was modified by someone else to a Argus that was also modified. The B5 that you have is not a stock engine as we sell it and we obviously have no control over what effects aftermarket modification have on the engines performance, run time or anything else. This is also the reason that we (our Pro drivers) only compete with box stock engines and also why we require that our team drivers run 100% box stock engines as I mentioned to you over the phone I think it was 6 months ago.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by joey91473
How many times can a motor be pinched?

An engine can be resized 2-3 times and still be reliable and dependable. With a medium resize they usually last anywhere from 3-5 gallons , some guys have lasted longer but these are the typical results.

Lance
RcRenew
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcgeezer

Thanks for the detailed review And yes the runtimes will increase after you are fully leaned out and race tuned.

Thanks,
Lance
RcRenew
Old 08-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Werks
Hello RC Geezer, just to make sure that there is no confusion here amongst people reading this, I think that it's probably a good point to re-iterate that you are comparing a non-stock B5 that was modified by someone else to a Argus that was also modified. The B5 that you have is not a stock engine as we sell it and we obviously have no control over what effects aftermarket modification have on the engines performance, run time or anything else. This is also the reason that we (our Pro drivers) only compete with box stock engines and also why we require that our team drivers run 100% box stock engines as I mentioned to you over the phone I think it was 6 months ago.

The person behind the needles can also play a big role in how things play out in an engines lifespan !

Last edited by Maximo; 08-24-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: more politically correct
Old 08-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Frank, Matt ,Terry your Piston/sleeve sets were received today, and have been Serviced and have shipped out . All turned out great. and were in great shape.Tracking has been E-mailed to you.

Thanks again,
Lance
RcRenew
Old 08-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Werks
Ron, good to hear from you! That's exactly why in my 1st paragraph I point out that BOTH engines were modded. I didn't then nor do I now think it's important to compare and contrast the modders...that's for another thread some day somewhere...this is strictly my comparison and opinion of how both engines perform for me. And you're right about the Team only running stock engines, as that's the main reason I had to relinquish my Werks sponsorship.

Neal, wouldn't you say that's true for anyone running a nitro engine? I'd venture to guess that there are lots more of us "novice or amateur" tuners out there than there are you "professional" tuners who's business it is to know these engines inside and out. Again...just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.