Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree223Likes

REDS Engines (Mario Rossi)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:13 AM
Suspended

Yes the carb design on the reds and picco based engines is not great, as far as a buggy engine, if you want probably the best buggy engine available, 100% the o.s adam drake edition...
or o.s on a budget is the flashpoint combo, only 390 with pipe.. thats a damn good deal and getting good reviews.

Protek will be bringing out a new samurai engine soon, be worth the wait as low cost with DLC crank..

just remember if your a beginner, you also dont want to be pouring through expensive engines while learning...
also:get adam drake to run any engine you buy through his EBIS system.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by xlrsd
So I have a general question about buggies and nitro engines, but I own an Eight X, so I thought it would be best to post here. I am currently about to purchase a new engine, and I am torn. What my question is, is you always see Reds engines in the TLR pictures of their buggies. The Corsa Lunga model, usually. Those things have 3.5 horsepower, according to official distributors, in a .21 engine! And all the other brands like Picco, O.S, and the like, typically only put out between 2.5-2.7 horsepower. So what’s the deal here? Is an engine that puts out 3.5 hp practical for a buggy? And why are all the other brands so much lower in horsepower, if that’s not the preferred amount?? I ask this, because I only buy a new engine, once every couple of years, so I wanna get the best that I can right now, and price tag isn’t necessarily a concern for me. I wanted to post this and hopefully get some opinions/answers on this topic from you all. Because I’ve always heard that when choosing an engine, you want to go with more horsepower than torque in an engine, because you can always gear for torque, but there is no way of “gearing” more horsepower. Horsepower is not “gearable”. So what is everyone’s thought on this? Will a Reds Corsa Lunga be super legit in an Eight X buggy, or is that just overkill? Because I am definitely leaning towards the Reds, but again, don’t know what the deal is with such the drastic difference in horsepower from other typical mills you see in nitro buggies. Again, just looking for some thoughts/opinions/advice on this conundrum before I pull the trigger. Thanks for all your input in advance!!

Chad
The hp figures is at best exaggerated and many time fictional, so you can't use the numbers they show to tell you anything useful, except maybe when you compare withing the same brand.
Originally Posted by Matt Piva

your asking a very political question. You will get people who love reds and some that will say they suck. I personally am on the negative side of that answer as I’ve had terrible luck tuning picco based engines and I’ve had a few. I’ve read a lot of people say tuning these days are much better but I still see people say they are among the more difficult to tune and I believe that and would steer clear of an engine that takes a very expert tuning finger. You sound like your still getting the ropes of things and a lot of people will agree when I say get an O.S. Especially if you can afford it, they tune very very easy and usually don’t require a ton of tuning and they have incredible track records (especially if they have a dlc coated crank) and they have a lot of very high quality drivers. I don’t want to talk about what happened at the worlds with reds and os but let’s just say there top driver put a reds head on an o.s. Engine and that driver was having trouble with the reds and wasn’t willing to risk another worlds flame out so he used the very very solid performing o.s. And he almost won with it and had one of the best engines on track.
Different brands tunes differently and people sometimes have a hard time to adapt or they take bad advice instead of working with it them self.
The carb on the OS though is the strong point, but it pretty much ends there as well...
And you toke a great example of pro's that doesn't know much more then to drive well, I forgot now how many times he has done the same thing from different brands, so considering all that didn't have any problems it's a hint of what was wrong in the equation.
So though the carb on these engines might be slightly different to tune, it's not always the carb that makes it difficult, but as that's where the adjustment screws are people tend to think so.
am likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:50 AM
am
Tech Master

Mayfield were at a raci in France not to long ago. He then ran another fuel cuase his was not avalible there at the moment..He did 10 minutes with his enignes and were very very satisfied with that and his Italian made engine package. First time he has ever ran that long on fuel he said. I was not there but have pictureres of his pitplace with that fuel.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

to be honest, brotha, that’s what I have heard the most, negatively speaking about Reds, was the difficulty in tuning. So thank you, it sounds like this is across the board opinion wise. You may have swayed me back to an O.S. So let me ask, which OS would you believe is the absolute best for a buggy? I’ve heard the Speed V2, but I don’t know if that’s still the case. Any suggestions on what is considered the “best, fastest” engine for a buggy?
I've had OS engines that were absolute dogs to tune. What I have learned, much like electric motors, some are better than others, even tho same model. For instance, I had an original XZB Speed, which was a beast, never needed much attention, always ran, got a couple of seasons out of it and pinched it twice. I got another, same engine, just wasn't the same.

I switched to Reds and overall the engines have been great to me. Any issues are usually explainable and/or usually my fault.

I'd recommend see what others at your track are running and if you can get local help and support, and stick with that engine choice.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by am
Mayfield were at a raci in France not to long ago. He then ran another fuel cuase his was not avalible there at the moment..He did 10 minutes with his enignes and were very very satisfied with that and his Italian made engine package. First time he has ever ran that long on fuel he said. I was not there but have pictureres of his pitplace with that fuel.
Yes, the fuel is critical in the overall tuning when you start to push the engines. I can easily mix two fuels with 20-30c difference in engine temp and at least 2 minutes difference in runtime. That will have a pretty big impact in how you can set up the rest of the equipment, and people seems to forget to actually test different things to make it work.
If a thousand people are running an engine without tuning issues and you got them, try different things, and only listen to people who say that you should at least try something different even if what they suggested didn't work. I'm not saying some engines aren't more sensitive, but it's not rocket science, it just takes a bit more time sometimes.
RCTecher12 likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Info on the New Scuderia:

tobamiester and Pedro Jesus like this.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Info on the New Scuderia:

Just got mine

mtbkym01 and 8ight-t_sbs like this.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

to be honest, brotha, that’s what I have heard the most, negatively speaking about Reds, was the difficulty in tuning. So thank you, it sounds like this is across the board opinion wise. You may have swayed me back to an O.S. So let me ask, which OS would you believe is the absolute best for a buggy? I’ve heard the Speed V2, but I don’t know if that’s still the case. Any suggestions on what is considered the “best, fastest” engine for a buggy?
I’m really not comfortable talking about O.S. Engines in this thread, good chance I will get eatin up by a few drivers that love reds. But I love my spec 2 lol and Adam drakes B21 is probably a nasty engine with overall the best things going on tuning wise and power. That would be my next engine or a maxima b2 (or b4 maybe now that it’s probably been updated to the B4) but in general if I was u I would check out alfanna909 on here and see what he’s selling as he has a new engine posted every other day and they are always really really solid engines with someone u can trust is selling exactly what he says. Him or frank have such a long history and know a lot so I rather buy those guys engines used then a new engine I have to break in 100% everyday without question and I don’t even know them..
Old 04-21-2019, 05:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tobamiester
Just got mine

That thing looks sick! Like it! Is the heat sink low profile on that engine? Or the same high profile sink?
exheliguy likes this.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:06 PM
Tech Lord

That thing looks sick! Like it! Is the heat sink low profile on that engine? Or the same high profile sink?
Its about the same as previous engines.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I’ve been thinking about giving this new engine a try, there’s only one thing I don’t understand about reds, they are top shelf engines and not cheap, almost every reds engine I’ve seen the red anodizing on the head looks pink and faded in a short amount of time, wish they would change that, I’m having a tough time spending $500+ on a engine pipe combo that’s gonna look very old once that red starts fading
exheliguy and gerry6112 like this.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by TRUGGYRACER1
I’ve been thinking about giving this new engine a try, there’s only one thing I don’t understand about reds, they are top shelf engines and not cheap, almost every reds engine I’ve seen the red anodizing on the head looks pink and faded in a short amount of time, wish they would change that, I’m having a tough time spending $500+ on a engine pipe combo that’s gonna look very old once that red starts fading
The S-series engine, the 721 is an all new engine. Can't guarantee how the appearance will be, long term; but maybe thats something thats been addressed. Not many engines on the market these days that are not black, grey, silver since practically everyone I know runs OS. I've seen Nova's loose their colors over time. Could just be a factor related to heat...
Old 05-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys im looking at a handfull of brands inc the scudera mentioned here.

any one used this engine and what was your experience?

bottom , mid , top end.. Etc

idle , holds tune... Etc
thanks in advabce.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

Reminds me of all the trouble I went through on my brand new wrx engine when they installed the dust gasket backwards and the engine wouldn't go above 130F. No help at all from Alex and reds team.

Never buying reds.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Niz55
Reminds me of all the trouble I went through on my brand new wrx engine when they installed the dust gasket backwards and the engine wouldn't go above 130F. No help at all from Alex and reds team.

Never buying reds.
What are you calling a dust gasket? Did you ask on here for help with your motor by chance. Post some pics of the issues, someone is surely able to help you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.