Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Murnan Modified Motors Offroad >

Murnan Modified Motors Offroad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Murnan Modified Motors Offroad

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bjanzen
Uriah,

Just to update you...... I have had some cold weather here.... In the 50s. I richened the needles about a turn and put a sock over the cooling head. Have about 3/4 of a gallon through it now. Have been running for 15 minutes at a session each day and temps are 230-240. Took it out last night to oil the clutch bearings and I can turn it over by hand without too much trouble.

Question is this....... How do I "protect the pinch" at this point? Planning to finish the gallon off before the race this weekend...... Should I lean now or just keep doing what I am doing? Should I pre-heat or just idle til it warms up? Don't want to wear it too much now, right?
It is important to warm the engine slowly, or pre-heat the engine.
Starting a cold engine, and revving it will kill the PS fit, and wreak havoc inside the engine. Pre-heating is always best.

You can also kill the PS fit by running the engine in cold weather, without covering the head properly.

You should be ready to race the engine this weekend. Just make sure you see some smoke coming from the exhaust, and you will be fine.

What fuel are you running?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for that..... I thought pre-heating was only for initial few tanks to protect the rod. I will baby it with pre-heating from now on then ;-)

I am currently running 25% Byrons but will switch to 30% for the weekend. It is still burbling...... Will lean it some more on Friday...... Will keep it a tad rich til gallon 2

Barry
Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for that..... I thought pre-heating was only for initial few tanks to protect the rod. I will baby it with pre-heating from now on then ;-)

I am currently running 25% Byrons but will switch to 30% for the weekend. It is still burbling...... Will lean it some more on Friday...... Will keep it a tad rich til gallon 2

Barry
Personally, I only preheat my engines during initial break in. After the first quarter gallon, or so I just start them. You will be fine either way.

You going to Dalton this weekend? I'm going to come play.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Grinder
Personally, I only preheat my engines during initial break in. After the first quarter gallon, or so I just start them. You will be fine either way.

You going to Dalton this weekend? I'm going to come play.
Yes.... Doing GCS this weekend at Dalton. Nick says he will be helping me if need be. Looking forward to seeing you...... I would happy to let you tune on it :-P
Old 04-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Grinder,

It was nice meeting you yesterday. Sorry I never got back around to let you tune on the Bonito...... Just had enough time to do my last qualifier, get the track blown off for the mains and then I was back to back in 3 and 4.

Did really enjoy the motor. Ran VERY WELL.... Obscene amount of power must be there. It is already more than my old motor and still plenty rich and temps in the 230 degrees range.......

Have just over a gallon through it...... Can't wait for it to drop! :-D

Barry
Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Grinder,

It was nice meeting you yesterday. Sorry I never got back around to let you tune on the Bonito...... Just had enough time to do my last qualifier, get the track blown off for the mains and then I was back to back in 3 and 4.

Did really enjoy the motor. Ran VERY WELL.... Obscene amount of power must be there. It is already more than my old motor and still plenty rich and temps in the 230 degrees range.......

Have just over a gallon through it...... Can't wait for it to drop! :-D

Barry
Nice to meet you too. I marshaled, and watched your main. The engine looked good.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Grinder
Nice to meet you too. I marshaled, and watched your main. The engine looked good.
I saw you down there in the second corner..... Was wondering if you were listening to it. I flubbed that main up bad. My buddy was asking why I do well in qualifying and choke in the mains..... Oh well...... It is just a hobby and I have fun with it.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

All the decision making is finally over and the new motor is on the way, thanks murnan... cant wait to run it.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BMenard17
All the decision making is finally over and the new motor is on the way, thanks murnan... cant wait to run it.
So...... Which one did you decide on???

Told you Uriah was a great guy...... You will love his motor....
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

So...... Which one did you decide on???

Told you Uriah was a great guy...... You will love his motor....
Bonito
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

Bonito
WOW! Go for the gold! You won't be disappointed.......
Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

If ya cant beat em join em
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

If ya cant beat em join em
Or.... Why settle for less.... When you can have the best?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Attended the Roar National Warmup race at LCRC in Oakland Mills Pa. this past weekend with our Murnan Modified engines.
Track was large and high speed, but I actually had to turn down the epa on Gunnar's radio and soften the clutch as the Novarossi 4BTT was insane power on his buggy. I believe we were also the only buggy to be going 11.5 minutes between pit stops in the 45 minute final. Too much power AND great runtime?!?!? Never thought I would say that, lol!
After four rounds of qualifying on Saturday he sat in 6th, but with a great drive won his semi final race, starting second for the final behind Billy Easton.
Gunnar made an early pass on the first lap and would hold that position for about 5 minutes where a few mistakes set him back. He eventually fell to 5th place, but soon regained his composure and climbed back to third, within sight of the leaders, however at the 27 minute mark suffered a broken cvd bone that would end his charge.
The Murnan Bonito in our truggy also ran flawless, placing him fifth in qualifications, however experienced a servo failure in his semi that would force us out of the final.
So a little bad luck for us mechanically, but the Murnan Modified Motors ran flawless, provide reliability and ridiculous performance with outstanding runtime!
So happy we chose Murnan, you should too!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

i just picked up a murnan p5 what plug do u run will p3 be ok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.