Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4 >

New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Initiate

does anyone know if a p5 standard button will work on the plus 4
Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcjunke
Not sure. I would think so with the same bore size.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcjunke
no , they are completely different cases and the od of the sleeves are .3mm different . plus 4 19.2mm , p5 19.5mm
you can try the new p5xl
killer engine
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Will the old P5 Odonnel heads work on the plus 21-4? I have a brand new one just lying around.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default 21-5k

hey guys I just bought a brand new nova plus 21-5k im in break in stage with the heat good whats a good pipe for that thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by crookdaddy
hey guys I just bought a brand new nova plus 21-5k im in break in stage with the heat good whats a good pipe for that thanks
You can run a 9901/9853 w/41021 header or a JP3. Both work really well with this engine.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
IMO, if the engine changes tune, like goes rich when refueled, the LSN is too rich and you HSN is too lean.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good....my +4 ran for over 12 gallons before I had any issues, and it ran hard and reliably. Couldn't ask for a better engine.

The bad, it is not running now! It is very broken at the moment actually...

The ugly....well take a look at the pictures below. Note to all who have a +4, change the rod BEFORE you get to the 10 gallon mark!

Acually all is not as bad as it seems, I already have another piston/sleeve combo and I had JUST bought a new rod before I went to the track this afternoon for practice, how fortuitous. The case is fine as is the carb of course, and the crank shaft made it through as well. The front of the crank shaft is a bit worn where the bearings ride, but not too bad. The turbo button that was in is good as is the head, so once my rod arrives I will be good to rebuild.

Now one other bad part is that my BOCA rear ceramic bearing took a few hits and the 2-3 of the bearings have chips in them so my original Nova rear bearing that only has about a gallon through it will be going back in. The front TKO ceramic bearing is good, I pulled the seal (it never has leaked) and inspected the bearings very well, it is still tight and the bearingsa look good.

I will chaulk this up to a lesson learned. The engine has been terrific and the rod actually did not even snap in two to punch a hole in the block, I got really lucky. It will be re-assembled and re-broken in soon. I figure on getting another 10 gallons through the engine and then it will probably be time for another +4 or maybe even a Toro Nero, I will stick with the Nova's though as I think that they are one of the best engines on the market now.

So with that on to the carnage....

The egine
Attached Thumbnails New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4-joey-001.jpg   New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4-joey-002.jpg   New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4-joey-003.jpg   New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4-joey-004.jpg   New Novarossi .21 offroad Plus 4-joey-006.jpg  

Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Eastside777
Will the old P5 Odonnel heads work on the plus 21-4? I have a brand new one just lying around.
they will but they are totally unnecessary with the new nova head design
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 PM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by USP45

The good....my +4 ran for over 12 gallons before I had any issues, and it ran hard and reliably. Couldn't ask for a better engine.

The ugly....well take a look at the pictures below. Note to all who have a +4, change the rod BEFORE you get to the 10 gallon mark!

Acually all is not as bad as it seems, I already have another piston/sleeve combo and I had JUST bought a new rod before I went to the track this afternoon for practice, how fortuitous. The case is fine as is the carb of course, and the crank shaft made it through as well. The front of the crank shaft is a bit worn where the bearings ride, but not too bad. The turbo button that was in is good as is the head, so once my rod arrives I will be good to rebuild.

Now one other bad part is that my BOCA rear ceramic bearing took a few hits and the 2-3 of the bearings have chips in them so my original Nova rear bearing that only has about a gallon through it will be going back in. The front TKO ceramic bearing is good, I pulled the seal (it never has leaked) and inspected the bearings very well, it is still tight and the bearingsa look good.

I will chaulk this up to a lesson learned. The engine has been terrific and the rod actually did not even snap in two to punch a hole in the block, I got really lucky. It will be re-assembled and re-broken in soon. I figure on getting another 10 gallons through the engine and then it will probably be time for another +4 or maybe even a Toro Nero, I will stick with the Nova's though as I think that they are one of the best engines on the market now.

The egine
Wow!! 12 gallons is better than most!!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Prophet

12 gallons is pretty long for a rod

rods usually break due to being overheated and losing the tempering of the aluminum . happens around the 320 mark

The egine
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yea I figured that. Engine was great all evening until the main, it ate a plug. I do not know if I had a blockage or what because the temps were good today, I was looking for lean due to the coils being burnt, but the first two tanks were around 250 for both tanks with good smoke before it broke. I think that it might have really overheated in the main for whatever reason but I was 8 minutes into the main when it happened and I had run two 10 minute quals both times coming off of the track at 245-250.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Yea I figured that. Engine was great all evening until the main, it ate a plug. I do not know if I had a blockage or what because the temps were good today, I was looking for lean due to the coils being burnt, but the first two tanks were around 250 for both tanks with good smoke before it broke. I think that it might have really overheated in the main for whatever reason but I was 8 minutes into the main when it happened and I had run two 10 minute quals both times coming off of the track at 245-250.
not talking about temps when it broke , it could have happened at anytime in its life
Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

has anyone tried using the tsais t32 pipe on a nova 21 plus 7bt? i'm fairly new to matching pipes and engines, tanx
Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

After running Ninjas and the avaliability for the motor and parts are bad. Im thinkind about getting a plus 4. What are the plus and minus's on this motor. What pipes do people recommend and what glow plugs seem to be working best. I see the Nova plugs are hard to get are there others that work as well. Also what kind of run time are people getting. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.