Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Max Rackstraw

Reds R5R v5.0 or Picco P3TT?

Old 05-19-2021, 07:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Reds R5R v5.0 or Picco P3TT?

Hey everyone, ive been looking at some budget nitro engines for my kyosho mp9 tki4 to take racing. The two engines i have had interest in is the Reds R5R v5.0 and the Picco P3TT although i dont know which is the better option. The more popular of the two (at least on youtube) seems to be the Reds engine, however i have heard from a couple of people on youtube that it lacks power and "feels" as though you want to lean it out to keep up. The other option, the Picco engine, doesnt seem to have had many reviews at all which is worrying, i have found a thread on this forum about peoples opinion on it and it seems to be a little mixed, some have good results with lots of power and some other guy had the crank (which is not DLC coated, neither is the Reds) rust within a couple tanks after break in!.... but that could just be down to poor fuel quality or storage i suppose. Anyways, i am wondering if anyone who finds this thread has had experience with both these engines, or has any advice at all. (and yes i am also aware that the reds engine is manufactured by picco for reds so they are probably very similar). p.s. i am looking for good low end and midrange power, not as bothered about top end and would take a good low-midrange engine over a top end engine.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

No brainer dude....Picco. Balanced crank, dlc, and ceramic rear bearing.
R5R is good too. It doesn't lack power at all. Depends on the pipe. If you pair it with the picco 2133 it's a monster at bottom and top...especially bottom. The 2166 is the next best option (same as REDS 2143).
It's a good truggy motor with that pipe.

Btw...in have both motors and both pipes.

The picco 2099/ reds 2104 is a smoother pipe with better runtime than the others above. 2133 has the worst runtime but makes stupid power.

You can't go wrong with either but they are so close in price just get the Picco.

Oh...the REDS had a 2 piece head design also...
Old 05-25-2021, 01:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Kyosho Kid! (seen you on a few threads haha). Yeah going for the picco then, sounds good. Gonna get the picco 2133 pipe too, thanks for the recommendation

Edit: i forgot to ask, ive heard people have trouble with different manufacturers turbo glow plugs in the picco engines. The picco glow plugs seem to be out of stock everywhere where i am for a month... So was wondering if any other manufacturers plugs would work alright?

Last edited by Max Rackstraw; 05-25-2021 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Forgot a question
Old 05-25-2021, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I wouldn't get that 2133 unless it's in a truggy. Also...side note...that pipe is thin/soft. Gets dented easy. Not as solid as thr 2166/2134 and 2099/2104
You can run REDS or OS. Same thing....TS4=P4 and TS3=P3.

Yea the picco plugs are hard to come by and are slightly smaller but I've run reds plugs with no problem. They have the same seat.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

In that case i reakon ill go with the 2166 pipe. Durability is important and to be honest the track im running probably wont need all that much power, it will be more than adequate with the 2166 and as for the plugs, ill just get the os plugs or reds (either is available) until i can get those picco ones! Thanks for the good information
Kyosho Kid likes this.