Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

RC car engine does not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 12:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by xlrsd
glad you got it going! I don’t think you need to invest in a heating bag. But definitely a reliable and hot heat gun, or “hair dryer”! Yes, the extra 5 to 10 minutes spent heating up the engine, is a bit of a time killer. But, it will make it easier to start, this saving the pain in your hands, a lot! Not only that, warming the engine prior to starting will add some extra life to your engine, meaning it will even last a few extra gallons doing so. So you will thank yourself in the long run for taking the time to warm up your engine each time you start. Also, now that you’ve got the engine running, I’m assuming your broke it in properly. This will help take away from that initial “pinch” the engine has, and also make it easier to start. You’ll prolly notice that the more fuel you put through the engine, the easier and easier it will get to start. Just have to “wear” it in a little. But, definitely heat before starting! Saves a lot of headache!
Thanks for the reply. I've decided to buy a heating bag, because if I use the heat gun at home, by the time I get to somewhere I can drive the RC car the engine has already gotten cold. And with the heating bag I can heat the engine anywhere I am. I've decided to buy this model: SkyRC Nitro Engine Heater. What do I need for this to work? I'm thinking it's a battery and the battery charger, but I really don't know.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VicenteChimenes
Thanks for the reply. I've decided to buy a heating bag, because if I use the heat gun at home, by the time I get to somewhere I can drive the RC car the engine has already gotten cold. And with the heating bag I can heat the engine anywhere I am. I've decided to buy this model: SkyRC Nitro Engine Heater. What do I need for this to work? I'm thinking it's a battery and the battery charger, but I really don't know.
I didn’t realize you didn’t have electricity available where you were running your RC car. My bad. Then yes, an engine head warmer is ideal, as it will take a battery and a charger, and you can do it anywhere. Yes, you will need a batter and a battery charger for that. I would look at the engine heater, and see what it has for a lead, or plug for the battery, and then buy a battery with that type of lead on it as well. Or else you will need a soldering station as well, to install the right lead on a battery. My advice is to go with a high voltage battery for the engine heater, or it will not work to it’s full capability if you don’t. A 14.8v to be exact. With the heating bag method of heating engine heads, I would suggest a good 10-15 minutes of heat before you start. They take a lot longer to heat, and aren’t as hot.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Wink

Originally Posted by xlrsd
I didn’t realize you didn’t have electricity available where you were running your RC car. My bad. Then yes, an engine head warmer is ideal, as it will take a battery and a charger, and you can do it anywhere. Yes, you will need a batter and a battery charger for that. I would look at the engine heater, and see what it has for a lead, or plug for the battery, and then buy a battery with that type of lead on it as well. Or else you will need a soldering station as well, to install the right lead on a battery. My advice is to go with a high voltage battery for the engine heater, or it will not work to it’s full capability if you don’t. A 14.8v to be exact. With the heating bag method of heating engine heads, I would suggest a good 10-15 minutes of heat before you start. They take a lot longer to heat, and aren’t as hot.
Thanks for all the help and tips. I'll get an engine warmer, a battery and a battery charger then, thanks very much.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:40 AM
Tech Lord

At any camping shop or truck stop you can find 12v hair dryers....