Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Does Ebis break in depreciate a new motor? >

Does Ebis break in depreciate a new motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

Does Ebis break in depreciate a new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowLST2
You have to be pretty incompetent to really ruin an engine these days. The way they’re manufactured these days, you’d have to be pretty dumb to screw it up. So the excuse that this method will save someone from screwing an engine up is BS. Most of the guys that do this don’t understand what is breaking in during the initial phases of an engines life anyway, it seems. I suppose racing does induce tunnel vision. Not much of a surprise there. People will do anything to win.

Don’t worry guys. I’m outta here.
that’s not totally true, I personally hate breaking in an engine and knowing to a certain degree I’m not doing it right because in theory breaking an engine isn’t as easy as just running it in off others notes. You can really be sure that guys like Adam drake (and the people like tessemen who trust him) have spent a lot of time with a lot of testing techniques that build a report on what works. If Adam drake has invested this kind of time you know he’s not doing it with it in the back of his mind that it might not be doing anything, it’s absolutly doing something. My last engine I tried breaking in I did everything I could to be right, at half a gallon my 100$ front Swiss bearing wore out from how I broke it in. Now I have to find a decent cheap bearing replacement and send it to someone or beg someone at the track to do it for me for a price I’m sure. Personally I wouldn’t even double think it, if your confident then have one engine u do and one he does and keep a report of what seemed to be better. Like I’m said I’m sure these are the things Adam drake and many others have done with not only 1 engine but I could only imagine hundreds. I have to put more faith in those expertise and experience then I have in my last experience. But I’m not saying you couldn’t do a better job I’m just saying if u are not confident just send it in
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Tech Lord

You have to be pretty incompetent to really ruin an engine these days. The way they’re manufactured these days, you’d have to be pretty dumb to screw it up. So the excuse that this method will save someone from screwing an engine up is BS. Most of the guys that do this don’t understand what is breaking in during the initial phases of an engines life anyway, it seems. I suppose racing does induce tunnel vision. Not much of a surprise there. People will do anything to win.

Don’t worry guys. I’m outta here.
Well, you can ruin any new engine if not using it with kindness. There are 1001 methodes how to break in an engine, EBIS is just number 1002, nothing more and nohing less. But there are more advantages doing it the oilbath way but I think that is explained to you many times already.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Matt Piva

that’s not totally true, I personally hate breaking in an engine and knowing to a certain degree I’m not doing it right because in theory breaking an engine isn’t as easy as just running it in off others notes. You can really be sure that guys like Adam drake (and the people like tessemen who trust him) have spent a lot of time with a lot of testing techniques that build a report on what works. If Adam drake has invested this kind of time you know he’s not doing it with it in the back of his mind that it might not be doing anything, it’s absolutly doing something. My last engine I tried breaking in I did everything I could to be right, at half a gallon my 100$ front Swiss bearing wore out from how I broke it in. Now I have to find a decent cheap bearing replacement and send it to someone or beg someone at the track to do it for me for a price I’m sure. Personally I wouldn’t even double think it, if your confident then have one engine u do and one he does and keep a report of what seemed to be better. Like I’m said I’m sure these are the things Adam drake and many others have done with not only 1 engine but I could only imagine hundreds. I have to put more faith in those expertise and experience then I have in my last experience. But I’m not saying you couldn’t do a better job I’m just saying if u are not confident just send it in
Not trying to dismiss your post or anything but.. what exactly makes you think your break in method wore out a bearing? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by timjs
Not trying to dismiss your post or anything but.. what exactly makes you think your break in method wore out a bearing? It just doesn't make sense to me.
the engine was new and popped the front bearing shield off. My guess was it was a little to lean and u can’t do that with an engine that’s new.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Matt Piva

the engine was new and popped the front bearing shield off. My guess was it was a little to lean and u can’t do that with an engine that’s new.
For a guy who needs help to replace a bearing I would not draw own conclusions of how it has happened. If the seal popped off then highly is was not mounted right.
mtbkym01 likes this.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

heres my findings on front bearing failure .... running an engine grossly over rich on low speed needle will push excess oil through path of least resistance which is the front bearing when piston is sealed during combustion cycle . as oil seeps out upon a pressure pulse it will suck in on a vacuum pulse . front bearing failure ...... tuning is an art

ive heard of a few issues with people and front bearings falling apart after EBIS break in .... my guess .... the person performing break in is using an oil that deteriorates rubber and only further increases deterioration with heat .

i personally believe castor oil is the best for heated slave break in .......

my .02 cents
token likes this.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So everyone that touts this as being such a great thing as it saves time and fuel, yet it costs the same as a gallon of fuel. Not to mention any EBIS engine not sold through a factory authorized outlet will have a warranty. But I suppose you guys are above warranties.

Oh yeah - It’s all about trust... Yeah, okay.
I dunno if what I said was really clear or understandable to everyone.
I’m saying some random people on eBay or Facebook will say this motor has been broken in ebis or this motor only has 1 gallon on it. Etc. if you don’t know the person and are buying a engine used or claimed to be ebis broken in or this engine only has 4 tanks on the box etc. your trusting them that there telling the truth.

If you buy a engine from from rcrenew or drake new and have them break it in then I think this is added value.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

I offer EBIS break in, and have broken in well over 100 engines. No complaints yet. HMU if you want more info. [email protected]
Old 05-03-2019, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stephen_bess
I offer EBIS break in, and have broken in well over 100 engines. No complaints yet. HMU if you want more info. [email protected]
I can attest to how good Stephens EBIS service is. I purchased an older motor from him, and it has been flawless. He has also broken in two new engines for me, one Nova based and one OS based. And they have run flawless as well. The older motor I bought has many gallons on it, never been pinched, and still runs perfectly.
Just my 2 cents...
Old 05-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Ive definately ruined a few engines during run in by having the engine so rich it made the front bearing fail. But i have never had a problem with any engine i have had broken in on an EBIS machine so i can recommend EBIS.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston
heres my findings on front bearing failure .... running an engine grossly over rich on low speed needle will push excess oil through path of least resistance which is the front bearing when piston is sealed during combustion cycle . as oil seeps out upon a pressure pulse it will suck in on a vacuum pulse . front bearing failure ...... tuning is an art

ive heard of a few issues with people and front bearings falling apart after EBIS break in .... my guess .... the person performing break in is using an oil that deteriorates rubber and only further increases deterioration with heat .

i personally believe castor oil is the best for heated slave break in .......

my .02 cents
good point and makes more sense, hopefully when I get my engine back it will have that half gallon threw it and I can just tune it to run right and have fun with it. Breaking in engines just flat out sucks. I hated it so much that after that I just bought used engines on here only from guys that are known to be good with there os engines and it’s been headache free driving. The whole process of breaking in a engine correctly is much harder then people are saying it is, either these guys have so much experience doing it or they just wing it and throw away engines at 4 gallons like the pros do. 5 years ago I was told by a pro he doesn’t even care, he puts the engine on the box for 2 slow tanks 2 more on track then runs it hard and throws away the engine after a few gallons. Savage but you really don’t see bad breakin immediately I’m guessing it’s probably down the long haul 4-8 gallons you see the engine not holding tune and failing. I personally use an engine as long as possible, when they get to that very end I tune them to kill and I learn by pushing the engine to failure what I can do. I know forsure I have a great tuning finger as I’m surrounded by top guys that say I’m solid in the tuning department. Still didn’t save me during breakin.
jersey likes this.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:20 PM
am
Tech Master

I have only broken in aprox 15 engiens now and have no printout and evryone is very very staiesfied with my work, guess i am a hack then..
Old 06-06-2019, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (99%+)

Anyone know where I can buy. EBIS machine?
Old 06-07-2019, 05:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIGTIME
Anyone know where I can buy. EBIS machine?
Good luck finding one, sounds like everyone that made them aren't anymore. The only way it seems like you're gonna get one is buying one off someone that doesn't want it anymore.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JakeS924
sounds like everyone that made them aren't anymore.
Only one person has made the genuine EBIS, his name is Richard. And this thread is hilarious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.