Search

Touring Car Tire Advice - General Asphalt Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Touring Car Tire Advice - General Asphalt Tire Recommendation

Hey gang,

I have been building / racing buggies since I was a kid. I am trying something new and recently bought a car for having fun on the roads for a bit and save my buggies for the dirt. I decided on a TB03 in the end. I was totally torn between a TA05, TA06, and TB03. I realize in racing realms the TB03 may be on the bottom there as far as performance, but definitely on top in terms of reliability and simplicity in the drivetrain. I figure if I can max out the abilities of this car I can justify getting something belt driven purely for tracks. For now, I just want to have fun with this chassis.

So... I have always had low turn brushless motors in my buggies (well, at least the past 5 years) and feel I am capabale of driving a high powered buggy so I went with the same for my TB03 which is a 6000kv motor. Wow is it fast! I have been tweaking the chassis and upgraded all of the steering components to get it driving straight at speeds, just in time to find the stock tires cooked to the foams in 4 battery packs. I do realize I need a slower motor, but am having fun with this so I will leave it for now. I bought a set of HPI Nitro drift tires to see how that would work and it is "fun" but not sure that is what I was looking for, the tires are still too hard.

So.. With that part explained, I am wondering what you guys would run for a tire that I don't plan to race with, but want to beat the snot out of on 20 year old asphalt. I know X-Patterns are a good all around tire and that is what I was thinking of getting, but am wondering if you guys might recommend something that might last a while longer at the expense of performance? I might be looking for something that doesn't exist, I figured I would ask the locals.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

A slick with a high rating like a 36? might work pretty good.. Dunno though
Old 04-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

If you're running on dusty, unsealed asphalt, you should definitely be getting more than 4 runs--even with a 6000kv motor
Here are some things to consider:

1. For your situation, an uber-sticky tire isn't your best bet--as they will quickly glaze over AND wear out quickly. 32-36c will work best.
2. Soft inserts can help, but not a lot--as the tire needs adequate support to maintain a consistent contact patch.
3. A soft wheel allows the tire to conform to the road surface and absorb bumps. But a firm wheel forces the tire to work.

*What you're after is a balance b/t insert size/shape/density and rim stiffness.

Most companies shift this balance towards more performance and quicker wear. This allows them to make more from less--and to sell more tires.
If you'd like something a little more specialized than the garden-variety premounts, RCSpeedshop.net has a ton of premounted options that fit your bill.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions...

Brett

Last edited by DIALED; 04-16-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For racing, listen to Brett (DIALED).

For bashing, you might find something here:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/110car.html

I've had some of these http://www.hobbypartz.com/51c00-02020-yellow.html in my tire box for a couple years, but haven't gotten around to running them yet.

-Mike
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DIALED
If you're running on dusty, unsealed asphalt, you should definitely be getting more than 4 runs--even with a 6000kv motor
Here are some things to consider:

1. For your situation, an uber-sticky tire isn't your best bet--as they will quickly glaze over AND wear out quickly. 32-36c will work best.
2. Soft inserts can help, but not a lot--as the tire needs adequate support to maintain a consistent contact patch.
3. A soft wheel allows the tire to conform to the road surface and absorb bumps. But a firm wheel forces the tire to work.

*What you're after is a balance b/t insert size/shape/density and rim stiffness.

Most companies shift this balance towards more performance and quicker wear. This allows them to make more from less--and to sell more tires.
If you'd like something a little more specialized than the garden-variety premounts, RCSpeedshop.net has a ton of premounted options that fit your bill.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions...

Brett
Thank you for the replies guys! I should say that with my motor and chassis, you can't really help but slide so my initial set of tires I did spend plenty of time driving like a yahoo sideways with the throttle pegged. I have spent about a pack (5000mah 40c) with the new HPI Super Drift 4402 tires, and it is fun in it's own right, but I do want to learn to drive on a track and maybe show up one of these days hopefully not in anybody's way, and not clueless either.

I may just try a set of XPatterns and try to not drive like a tool and see how long they last and go from there. The pavement I am driving on (for now anyway) is just the usual suburbia stuff in front of your house.

Thanks again for the replies
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeepnMike
Thank you for the replies guys! I should say that with my motor and chassis, you can't really help but slide so my initial set of tires I did spend plenty of time driving like a yahoo sideways with the throttle pegged. I have spent about a pack (5000mah 40c) with the new HPI Super Drift 4402 tires, and it is fun in it's own right, but I do want to learn to drive on a track and maybe show up one of these days hopefully not in anybody's way, and not clueless either.
Drifting is actually good practice, if you set up some obstacles to drift around. It really develops the ability to read what the car is doing, and develops finer throttle and steering control. Even just drifting around a man-hole (heh) cover, or a rock placed on the ground works.

I may just try a set of XPatterns and try to not drive like a tool and see how long they last and go from there. The pavement I am driving on (for now anyway) is just the usual suburbia stuff in front of your house.

Thanks again for the replies
X-Patterns are a bit spendy for shredding on pavement. And they will wear fast if you spin the tires.

-Mike
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For high power bashing in a parking lot, I would seriously consider trying a set of Nitro foams. They should fit directly to your car, they wear well, and they grip.

My brother loved to rail around his Nitro 4-Tec, but he went through the 1/10th scale rubber tires very quickly. When he tried hards they wouldn't hook up and all he did was drift around. Softs or mediums hooked up, but they didn't last. When he tried some nitro foams the whole situation improved dramatically. I would suggest something like a 30shore rear and maybe a 35 shore front. All you have to do as they wear is screw or shim the shock collars down to maintain your ride height.

Give it a try
Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

not sure where your at, but I think Fantasy World has some 40's left over. or if you really want to play, I have a box of used rubber tires you can have. and no i won't ship. you need to come get them. I live in Auburn.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skypilot
not sure where your at, but I think Fantasy World has some 40's left over. or if you really want to play, I have a box of used rubber tires you can have. and no i won't ship. you need to come get them. I live in Auburn.
PM sent. Thanks a million!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

skypilot came through and donated an entire box of tires to get me started. He gave me some great advice and pointed me to a great track to meet some of you guys and learn and practice. I should have a clue on how to drive somewhat right by the time I go through all of these tires learning.

Thanks so much again Ritchie!! That was extremely cool and generous of you! I will try to forward the same generosity when I can.