Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Oregon Senate Bill 71, bad news for RC Airplanes and who knows who else. >

Oregon Senate Bill 71, bad news for RC Airplanes and who knows who else.

Oregon Senate Bill 71, bad news for RC Airplanes and who knows who else.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Oregon Senate Bill 71, bad news for RC Airplanes and who knows who else.

Fellow RCers,

I don't try and get political, but this is worth noting. There are some attempts too limit use of RC Airplanes and possibly other RCs and the uses of cameras mounted on them. They want to classify RC Airplanes into the same category as DRONES used by the Military.
This info was passed along from My Battery lady Joan, and from RUSS at Coyote Hobby.

"This information rolled across my desk from a local modeler. It is definitely worth taking a moment to look at. Could have far reaching effects on our hobby and not just drones. Word has it that this Oregon Senate Bill 71is being looked at by 17 other states. The first link below is an excellent YouTube video of the Senate Bill itself, the second is an complete list of local and state officials for Oregonians to use.

For those of you out of state, I included you as this may eventually effect us all, consumers and manufacturers alike."

If this seems like an over-exaggerating attempt to limit RCers, please copy the following letter and address it to your local Senator.

Also, feel free to invite them flying so they can see its not harmful.

Below is a letter written by the RosWell flight crew.

Fill it and find you Representative.

[MONTH, DAY, YEAR]

[SENATOR/REPRESENTATIVE] [FULL NAME]

900 Court Street NE

[SUITE NUMBER, BEGINNING WITH “S” or “H”]

Salem, OR 97301

Dear [SENATOR/REPRESENTATIVE] [LAST NAME],

As one of your constituents living in [CITY], I am writing to you to express my strong opposition to

Senate Bill 71. This bill purports to limit the use of “drones,” but would in fact criminalize recreational

activities enjoyed by many Oregonians, from dedicated hobbyists to children who have done nothing

wrong, except for receiving a gift that their parents purchased at a local mall.

This bill defines the word “drone” so broadly that it could potentially ban all radio-controlled aircraft.

The hobby industry generates $1.5 billion annually and supports many local businesses right here in

Oregon, and this proposal would eliminate one of its fastest-growing segments.

Senate Bill 71 makes no allowance for people who legally possess these systems already. Upon being

signed into law by the governor, it would immediately make criminals of these hobbyists, because there

mere possession of a radio-controlled “drone” is a Class B Misdemeanor. This is plainly a violation of

their constitutional right to due process, as well as a violation of their basic property rights.

Furthermore, passage of this bill would be damaging to Oregon’s broader economy. Boeing subsidiary

Insitu, located in Hood River, is a leading manufacturer of drone aircraft for the United States military.

With their product transformed into contraband overnight, they would no doubt be forced to shut down

or relocate to another state.

At the same time, business and community leaders around Bend are working hard to win approval from

the Federal Aviation Administration for Oregon to serve as one of six test sites for new drone aircraft,

prior to their integration into the National Air Space in 2015. If successful, this effort could secure a

foothold for our state in what will be a major industry for the next several decades. Senate Bill 71

would completely undermine these efforts.

Oregon has always been a leader in technology. Our future lies in nurturing the high-tech pioneers who

will create the jobs and industries of tomorrow. This bill turns its back on that proud history. It is anti-technology, anti-economic-growth and anti-rights. It has no place in Oregon law.

Sincerely,

[SIGN HERE]

[YOUR NAME]

Check out the following Video:

http://roswellflighttestcrew.typepad...er-drones.html

Seems a little Excessive. Just wanted to share with Fellow Oregon RCers.

MOmo

Last edited by MOmo; 02-06-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for sharing. I thought this was worth pulling out (along with drone = anything above the ground with the capability of recording images... AKA there are drones at Toys R Us in the airhogs section..)

Originally Posted by bill 71
(2) Any person who suffers injury to person or property caused
by a drone operated in violation of section 2, 3 or 4 of this
2013 Act is entitled to damages from the person or public body
that committed the violation of not less than $5,000 and an award
of reasonable attorney fees. + }
Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

What's the progress of this bill so far, is it still being examined? I joined in on a petition against it and sent the same to some state reps when I first heard about it, but I don't know if they've made any changes to it since then. If this ever does go thru under the original guidelines then that Bixler 2 I just got is gonna get pretty dusty!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

A couple months ago, Oregon had a couple public meetings involving the bill but never saw any reports or minutes from the meeting afterwards
Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Gouldzilla View Post
A couple months ago, Oregon had a couple public meetings involving the bill but never saw any reports or minutes from the meeting afterwards
I just hope this bill gets roadblocked. I had plans of gettin a ham license and explorin fpv with my new bixler
Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Washington had a similar bill but it got shot down. I think Wisconsin has one that got announced just a few weeks ago. At my work, we are trying to pay close attention to this bill because we will have to start warning people that they wouldn't be able to fly anything with cameras in Oregon. People wouldn't be able to fly something simple like the AR Drone because even if you get caught having anything with a camera attached in your possession would be considered illegal if the bill passes
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

The others side of it is there are alot of people out there that are using this technology in dangerous ways. They are trying to fly far enough away to the point of not being able to see it. This is very dangerous. What if the camera cuts out? What if the battery dies? What if you hit a low flying airplane or helicopter? If people would follow the rules outlined by the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) most of these issures would disappear.

Then there are the camera systems people are buying to use for FPV. I get people in all the time flaming the system is powerful enough to be able to transmit 4-5 miles away if not further. By FAA guidelines, this is illegal. The average RC transmitter can't transmit that far.

The way I look at it, it is because of stupid people that these bills are being introduced trying to kill out fun

Last edited by Gouldzilla; 05-20-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

amen chris gould......u hit the nail on the head