Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Columbia County Area, RC Enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

Default Batteries

So I have been trying to find some good batteries. Been hit or miss for me with the HobbyKing stuff.

So I ordered a couple of these
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=130

$40 each at 6500mah 60c constant 120 burst.

Quality looks good, haven't yet tried them.

When the 4s are back in stock - called and said should be another week. I will order some of too. Prices aren't too bad $69.00 for 60c

check out their site, I think this guy has it right about standardizing C rating.
SMC has been around for ever, that had some of the best NiCads back in the day

on a side note, my battery problem, may be one of my chargers, it's giving me problems today and I have been pretty on top of battery maintenance. Luckily I have a 2nd charger that seems to be fine.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default pics

Thought I would snap a quick pic before she gets de-virginized today!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wow! That EB48 is one nice looking buggy for sure! Can't wait to hear your report after burning some packs through her with a little tweaking here and there. They are supposed to be a great handling rig for sure.

And Woody....on the bearing thing : I didn't check the motor bearings , but the motor and ESC didn't get it all that bad. I did how ever go through every single bearing on the chassis. I lost all 4 outside 8X16mm axel ( outter hub ) bearings and both of the small 8X10mm lower steering post bearings. Most were completely seized.....or grinding extrelemy bad. All diff bearing were still good.

That mud was like chocolate milk......it found it's way into everything. That dirt has a strong clay base to it......but it also has some top soil / silt mixed in. It can grind the crap out of anything it touches if it's there for to long.

And hey....if you get to drive the EB48 today.....come back and give a report on it please. I'm sticking with my Mugen's for this year , but i'd be interested in seeing how the EB48 holds up over time.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Woody...two of those packs end up weighing 630 grams...not sure if that will throw the weight off or not.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys.....I wanted to post this for Gary. He sent it to me late last night , and wasn't sure if he knew how to post a pic. That body is SICK!! He's painted some nice ones......but I gotta say , this one takes the cake!
Attached Thumbnails Columbia County Area, RC Enthusiasts-garys-rc8.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trying again here......

Deleted that pic....to big and was screwing the thread up.

Last edited by JEFFRO503; 02-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the pic Jeff. Gary actually made it out there today, and I must say that is the best paint job I have seen on a RC car yet!.

The pics actually doesn't do it justice, it looks even better in person.
Those rivets.. man I thought for sure they where stickers. Had some some good shading going on some of the lines. Lot going on, but it wasn't too over the top.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by streetsports
Woody...two of those packs end up weighing 630 grams...not sure if that will throw the weight off or not.
I didn't think about that, I don't think he sells any other 4s with lower Mah.

Well time to do some more research and see...
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

Well the EB48 is definately a light car. It's not much heavier than my losi SCTE. Mostly just extra battery and motor weight.

setup wasn't quite where I wanted it, even with turning the DR down to 70% I had plenty of steering, but I think that's because I like the rear to be a little more planted. I will probably run it like is for now and get used to the buggy before I change anything. I might drop 5wt all around in the shocks though. Still want to play with the gearing too. I still had a little too much grunt, Not sure if I want to gear up(temps were not an issue) or just smooth it out with ESC.

Car flies nice, except when you put on the brake too hard coming off the large quad, landed on the front arm, and busted it. Its a known issue with these arms especially in the colder weather. However Tekno has already made new arms to address it. I will be ordering those shortly.

NO WAY am I'm giving this car a bad review, just figuring out setup still and what little quirks it has.

Last edited by RC_Woody; 02-24-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Good insight on the car Woody. my front Mugen arms are known as the weak point on it as well. Doesn't help driving in colder weather either. With the total rebuild I just did on this Mugen , there won't be any second guessing on where my diff and shock oils are at. I ended up going 45 in the front and 40 in the rear on the shock oils. And on the Diff's I ended up re-doing them with a 5/7/3 combo.

Hopefully if next Sunday is nice , I'll come out for some driving. I'll be working every day including Saturday as of right now.

Glad you like the first drive with that EB48. Should be a great buggy from everything I have heard.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Default pics

Well my picture taking sucked today, I guess I should spent more time taking pictures.Here is a couple ok shots, giving you the idea of how big the jump is. I know Darrell and Craig got even higher a couple times, but no camera in hand

Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Damn.....that thing is a hucker!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Woody....what Motor/ESC combo did you put in that thing? RX8 / ??

I went with a Reedy 2100KV / RX8 combo in my Mugen and she hauls the mail just fine on Darrel's track. I even had it turned down some on the radio running a 15t pinion /46 spur.

Final gear ratio on the EB48 is what? My Mugen is some where around the 3.8 ratio , where I know Gary's buggy is up around 4.3. I think the Kyosho , Serpent , X-ray and maybe 1 or two others run the same gearing as my Mugen. Just curios to see what the EB48 is running.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JEFFRO503
Woody....what Motor/ESC combo did you put in that thing? RX8 / ??

I went with a Reedy 2100KV / RX8 combo in my Mugen and she hauls the mail just fine on Darrel's track. I even had it turned down some on the radio running a 15t pinion /46 spur.

Final gear ratio on the EB48 is what? My Mugen is some where around the 3.8 ratio , where I know Gary's buggy is up around 4.3. I think the Kyosho , Serpent , X-ray and maybe 1 or two others run the same gearing as my Mugen. Just curios to see what the EB48 is running.
I'm running 17pinion/44 spur - 4.1 drive ratio(close to associated) with rx8/ tekin T8 2050 buggy motor. FDR - 10.6. I have my current limiter set at 70 or 80%(smooths out acceleration, without effecting top speed)
Like I mentioned before though, I'm still playing around, this was just the maiden voyage.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC_Woody
I'm running 17pinion/44 spur - 4.1 drive ratio(close to associated) with rx8/ tekin T8 2050 buggy motor. FDR - 10.6. I have my current limiter set at 70 or 80%(smooths out acceleration, without effecting top speed)
Like I mentioned before though, I'm still playing around, this was just the maiden voyage.

Oh yeah....that 2050 is way plenty for out there!

I'm hoping my new soldering station shows up tomorrow. I bought anew one from a dude on here that shipped it out a few days ago. I also ordered a new Tekin Hotwire because I didn't have one. I'd like to put on a different ESC if my new radio/RX has issues with it like my old M8 did. If it does.....sounds like I may need to box it up and send it to tekin for a repair. Reading through the Tekin RX8 thread.....seems like there must of been a big bad batch of ESC's that came out. A lot of people sending them back in.....which has back logged them for 6-8weeks for a return.

I have a couple spares , so I should be good to go this next weekend if the weather is good.

And oh man....since I did my total tear down and rebuild.....I found so many things put together wrong and without any locktite it was crazy. My two rear hubs were one hole off from each other as well. Steering ackerman was set in the wrong holes.....bunch of little things. Should drive like a whole different buggy now ( better ).....and I even liked it before!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.