Wiki Posts
Search

Help Save Portland Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveC
Not as easy as it sounds and the hobby shop cannot afford a move at this point in time.
Have fun. I don't think anyone is thinking this through completely. If it was really as easy as everyone seems to think, don't you think someone would have done it already? Not trying to be a smart ass, just pointing out that it is not easy. And if you want a bigger track for 1/8th scales, I can understand that, but you will kill the electric racing in my opinion. I know a lot of people that will not run on the track when the 1/8th scales are going. Take it for what it's worth.
Never said it was easy, fun never is. Not saying a large track for 1/8 scale either. I myself will never race indoor gas again. Nobody races electric with the 1/8 scale outdoors either, that's suicide for your car. If the "club" wants to succeed then moving sounds like the only option. I didn't know the club was going to be formed to save the hobby shop.

Years ago I raced at the Hillsboro fairgrounds and there was no hobby shop to support it. Stayed opened for a long time. It was still around when I quit racing there so I never knew what happened to it. Just saying, if there are 40+ people willing to pay club fees then why not start fresh?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Legend

Have you looked at the economic outlook lately, George? Not sure who would move into that building or how much they could afford to spend updating it.
Not unusually for the new tenant to spend 50 grand + ...
Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Entirely true. I hate to agree with George on anything, but very very true. I spent most of my life doing commercial remodels for new tenants in Alaska. When a new tenant moves in, they sign multi year leases, and the landlord usually helps out on the remodels. The landlord gets an improved property and a long term commitment on the lease, the new tenant gets a nice new building to run a business out of. That may very well be why the landlord is not willing to work with the club idea.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redman
.... I didn't know the club was going to be formed to save the hobby shop.

...Just saying, if there are 40+ people willing to pay club fees then why not start fresh?
Not trying to save the hobby shop, that's not what I am campaigning for. Just trying to keep the racing alive and give the potential new owner a chance to make something of the place. Without the track and dedicated racers, the hobby shop is destined for failure. I still think that a club along with the hobby shop is the best situation, but I may be in the minority. If the club wants to persue other options, then they certainly have the right. It will just be without me. In some people's opinions, that may be a good thing. Not sure.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
The new tenantt will do a whole lot of remodeling and improvements on the property when they move in ...
A "whole lot" of remodeling would most likely require seizmic upgrades to the structure - and lead to a lot of other nastiness this particular land owner won't want to "dig in" to.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Why would it be without you Dave? Seems like every racer in the Portland metro and beyond is needed. I would sign up if it was for more than a 5 month deal.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In the whole scheme of things, the land is what is valuable, I wouldn't be surprised if the club/Amain were the last tenants in the actual building (whenever that is), it could very well be leveled, the landlord could have other plans for the land already.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Not unusually for the new tenant to spend 50 grand + ...
Yeah, not unusual in a good economy. But this isn't a good economy, especially for moving a business or starting one up. For at least the next year, not likely in my opinion. And from some of the stuff I have read, could be the end of 2010 before it gets much better. And with the history of the building and other issues, this is not prime lease property. Have you seen all the vacant buildings in our area on McLoughlin Blvd. Probably vacant for a reason and not going to change anytime soon.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Sorcerer001
A "whole lot" of remodeling would most likely require seizmic upgrades to the structure - and lead to a lot of other nastiness this particular land owner won't want to "dig in" to.
Not even about the building , rather its the location .

I`v seen properties in worst shape . They remodel and you would not even recognize after their done....
Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Either I'm missing something or confused. Why does "starting up a business" continue to be discussed when talking about a club-operated track?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

We currently pay the insurance for my mother in laws property in St. Helens. It used to be a service station and the biggest holdup in trying to sell it was the cost of cleaning up the old leaking underground oil tanks. I think the A-main location used to be a service station as well.

That place is in need of a complete leveling and I cannot guess how much that would end up costing. I'm guessing it would be cheaper for a possible tenant or owner finding an existing location that fits their needs.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Yeah, not unusual in a good economy. But this isn't a good economy, especially for moving a business or starting one up. For at least the next year, not likely in my opinion. And from some of the stuff I have read, could be the end of 2010 before it gets much better. And with the history of the building and other issues, this is not prime lease property. Have you seen all the vacant buildings in our area on McLoughlin Blvd. Probably vacant for a reason and not going to change anytime soon.
I know....... we can turn it into Acrop 2 during the week to pay the bills and then race on the weekends! Of course this would be a club for the ladies and with the money Tim and Dave could earn in tips it would easily keep the place afloat.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tomdav
We currently pay the insurance for my mother in laws property in St. Helens. It used to be a service station and the biggest holdup in trying to sell it was the cost of cleaning up the old leaking underground oil tanks. I think the A-main location used to be a service station as well.

That place is in need of a complete leveling and I cannot guess how much that would end up costing. I'm guessing it would be cheaper for a possible tenant or owner finding an existing location that fits their needs.
Bingo, we have a winner! Can you say DEQ? A job I had during the summer one year worked next to a site that was going through DEQ oil cleanup. Cost them in excess of $1 million to clean it up. This might not be that extensive, but would easily be into the six figures.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by redman
Either I'm missing something or confused. Why does "starting up a business" continue to be discussed when talking about a club-operated track?
It doesn't have to be, I guess. It continues to be talked about because I think that is the best solution for this location and saving the indoor racing program. In my humble opinion, if this doesn't happen at this location to keep the racing program going right now, then the indoor racing scene in the Portland area will die. Simple as that. I don't think the club will have the funds or the correct people to get a move done to a new location.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

From Tim's post it seems like there isn't going to be another option unless the shop is purchased and kept open. It may be time to look into something else before the inevitable happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.