Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northeast Racing Forum
Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT. >

Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree21Likes

Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stickboy007
There was actually an interesting RCCA article on that topic recently, Eric. It sounds like a good idea in principle, but it still leaves two problems open - more advanced drivers dropping down to novice or amateur to get more wins, and less advanced drivers entering the amateur or expert classes because they don't want to be classified as a novice. That is actually quite similar to noobs starting in 2wd mod and advanced drivers staying in 17.5, and also raises the question of who gets to be the arbiter of who else is novice, amateur, and expert.

I don't see any reason why both classes can't be populated with both novice and experienced drivers. No matter what class you race in, there will be top drivers and not-top drivers. Why single out 2wd buggy for this? How many people are in 4wd SC when what they clearly need is a trip to the psychiatric ward? How many experienced drivers run 17.5 SC without other people complaining about it? I didn't see anybody complain when Montoya left F1 for "lessor" motorsports like NASCAR and then Indy. He wanted to drive different stuff, so let him drive different stuff.

I say let the racers race what they want. Once you start compartmentalizing people by skill level and/or dictating what motors they should or shouldn't run, it creates a class system between people that shouldn't exist in the first place.
Deciding who gets to race with whom is really what the qualifiers are for.....no? If 20 dudes enter the 'buggy" class, half of em are not experienced, that means they'll be in the B-main.
Also, comparing F1 to NASCAR is like comparing a Picaso to a Rorschack that I made in my toilet last night after Taco Bell.

I really don't think there's any need for the different classes on smaller tracks anyway. Look at the times of Mod versus 17.5 at RCHR and Wolcott indoor........same same. Look at the 17.5 verus Mod times at ROAR Nats or Chode-O-Rama.........no same.

Novice racers should be in Sportsman. As for who is to decide when a Novice is ready to move up into which ever class their vehicle designates.......that's up to the race director......always has been.

All I'm saying is Mod Buggy has always been the shizzle in RC racing. It was the original class........way back when there was nothing else. Mod Truck comes along. Cool. SCT 2wd comes along, then 4wd SCT, then we all split those two vehicles into 3 different classes.....then we gotta add 17.5 buggy. Was there an overflow of too many folks in Mod Buggy? Did someone have a grudge with keeping things the same. 17.5 buggy basically all but eliminated Mod buggy at many tracks.
As Boomer said earlier.........Stock Blows.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dieselpower
Deciding who gets to race with whom is really what the qualifiers are for.....no? If 20 dudes enter the 'buggy" class, half of em are not experienced, that means they'll be in the B-main.
Also, comparing F1 to NASCAR is like comparing a Picaso to a Rorschack that I made in my toilet last night after Taco Bell.
That's my point. You don't need split racers out beforehand into novice and expert classes, because qualifiers will sort them out for you. As for your other comment, I do not partake in motorsport snobbery. Each form of motorsport has something to offer.

I really don't think there's any need for the different classes on smaller tracks anyway. Look at the times of Mod versus 17.5 at RCHR and Wolcott indoor........same same. Look at the 17.5 verus Mod times at ROAR Nats or Chode-O-Rama.........no same.

Novice racers should be in Sportsman. As for who is to decide when a Novice is ready to move up into which ever class their vehicle designates.......that's up to the race director......always has been.
Honestly, I think Sportsman class is a gray area. There are no doubt drivers I've raced against who I have felt should be in Sportsman, but if I'm honest with myself, that is really more out of frustration with them than anything else. The experienced drivers want to put in clean runs without lapped traffic getting in the way, but the reality is that lapped traffic is part of the game, like it or not. I did not start off in Sportsman. I started off in mod 2wd buggy, mod 4wd buggy, and mod 4wd SC. I broke lots of stuff and no doubt got in the faster guys' way more than I should have, but I did this to get more track time on a given day. If I can only race one day per week and have to drive an hour to get to the track, I want my money's worth, and focusing on one car in one class did not give me the raw track time I needed to develop my driving skill. If the races were larger, then I surely would end up in the B or C main, exactly as I should have, based on how qualifiers sort out drivers by skill way better than a race director can.

All I'm saying is Mod Buggy has always been the shizzle in RC racing. It was the original class........way back when there was nothing else. Mod Truck comes along. Cool. SCT 2wd comes along, then 4wd SCT, then we all split those two vehicles into 3 different classes.....then we gotta add 17.5 buggy. Was there an overflow of too many folks in Mod Buggy? Did someone have a grudge with keeping things the same. 17.5 buggy basically all but eliminated Mod buggy at many tracks.
As Boomer said earlier.........Stock Blows.
I think you're forgetting that 17.5 buggy is the modern incarnation of 27T stock from "back in the day." Stock has been around almost as long as mod. Let's also not forget that the power output of DC mod motors is actually closer to a modern stock motor than to a modern mod motor. That's a very important point. Power output of a brushed 12TD is in the 200-250W range, which is not much higher than the torquier stock motors (~190W), and is much lower than a 7.5 brushless which is in the 400-500W range.

I decided to switch from mod 2wd to stock 2wd buggy initially because I didn't think I was good enough for mod at the time, but I ended up staying in stock because it is more fun and challenging in my own view. As Slayer duly pointed out, your line matters much more in stock than in mod. You have to view the track differently, and I like that variety. I don't discriminate between classes, because I race almost everything anyway. Nobody can call me a wimp for running a slow class, because I also run the fastest of fast - 4wd mod buggy. You might consider taking a less high-minded approach toward stock vs. mod. They are two sides of the same coin and each have something to offer, no matter your skill level.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Not sure why this topic keeps coming up on this thread??? When is the last time anyone has had an issue at one of our club or trophy races. Motor/battery of the week?? really? Which one of our racers is that? I haven't seen it...

Put this topic to bed already, enough...
Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

YEA...........what he said!! LOL If you wanna run mod, run it! But stop hatin on the guys who enjoy stock racing! Just like we said, its a completely different style of racing! Unlike mod, you gotta work to be fast!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The Slayer
YEA...........what he said!! LOL If you wanna run mod, run it! But stop hatin on the guys who enjoy stock racing! Just like we said, its a completely different style of racing! Unlike mod, you gotta work to be fast!
I say we start a class for every motor, tire, chassis and battery on the market!!!! and if that's not good enough how about sub classes by body color and drivers hair cut
Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Y'all are completely missing my point. Stock (or 17.5) buggy class completely dilutes or erases the Mod Buggy class at club levels. Run whatever you want. I don't care. The numbers don't lie. I had traveled down to RCHR a few times in years past with my trusty ole B4 loaded with a 10.5 only to find there was no class for me to race in.
As far as motorsport snobbery.......whatever, going around in circles is slightly different than F1 and requires less skill. (again, my opinion. Don't get your BVDs all bunched up again)
As far as me "hatin" on the guys running stock buggy. I'm not. I'm hatin on the class itself.
Furthermore, I wish I had the time to race once a week and would surely be down there more if I could. Life gets in the way and yes........I hate spec/stock/17.5/novice......whatever the hell you wanna call it. It makes more work for the race director, it creates more dissention in the ranks and it detracts from other classes.

Every friggin year there's a new motor that comes out that's deemed illegal. I wonder why that is? Those are my points, my opinions and I'll drop it.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

2wd buggy has been plenty healthy at RCHR. We generally run mixed for the club races and separate stock and mod classes for the trophy races, with a good turnout for both. It could be that you were here before we started mixing the two for club races. I care more that 2wd buggy remains healthy than whether it is stock or mod.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to be successful in NASCAR. Just ask Montoya. I like F1 just as much as the next guy (I'm probably a bigger Senna fan than everybody on this thread combined), but trivializing other forms of motorsport only shows how little you know about them.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Guys, thanks for coming out to race this past Wed Night!

Results & Videos on RCHR.BIZ

As always, all the videos are posted up on our YouTube Site and our Facebook Page. Subscribe or give us a like so you always get the latest videos as soon as they are posted!

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/rchrvideos/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RCHRBIZ
Old 08-01-2014, 06:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

SNL POINTS!!!

Overall Points Results
Driver Total Points
Vega, Reinaldo 155
Lawson, Eric 90
Mosley, Kevin 87
Blanck, Will 60
Roy, Jeff 57
Vena, Michael 52
Benedict, John 44
Evan Sharky, 42
Kennedy, Jay 34
Howe, Donald 31
Blanck Will, 30
Schenck, Tom 25
Wazocha, Blake 24
Drapp,Larry 23
Wazocha, Eric 22
Dupuis,Shawn 18
Dupuis, Shawn 14
Burrell, Al 13
Slayer, 9
Buslewicz, Luke 8
Savage, Nick 7
Martin, Jeff 6
Shea, Benjamin 6
B,Al 6
Such, Jeff 6
Taylor, Adam 6
Buskewicz, Luke 4
Shea, Benjiman 4
Sherwood, Tom 4
Schenck,Dan "Hammer" 4
Zalonski, Tom 4
Kaminski, JP 4
Kane, Nate 3
Gonzalez, Tim 3
Haynes, Isaac 3
Collings, Trevor 2
Buslewicz, Aiden 2
Avino, Rick 2
Delgado, Eddy 1
Dupuis,Brian 1
Isaac Haynes, 1
Zalonsri,Tom 1

Points Results By Race Class
2wd Modified Buggy

Driver Total Points
Vega, Reinaldo 71
Lawson, Eric 47
Schenck, Tom 25
Vena, Michael 25
Benedict, John 22
Kennedy, Jay 21
Blanck, Will 17
Evan Sharky, 16
Dupuis, Shawn 9
Wazocha, Eric 9
Slayer, 9
Buslewicz, Luke 8
Drapp,Larry 8
Blanck Will, 5
Shea, Benjamin 5
Sherwood, Tom 4
Burrell, Al 4
Buskewicz, Luke 4
Schenck,Dan "Hammer" 4
B,Al 3
Kaminski, JP 2
Kane, Nate 2
Shea, Benjiman 2
Dupuis,Brian 1
Isaac Haynes, 1
Collings, Trevor 1

2wd Modified SCT
Driver Total Points

Mosley, Kevin 59
Vega, Reinaldo 46
Blanck, Will 37
Lawson, Eric 28
Vena, Michael 27
Howe, Donald 26
Evan Sharky, 26
Roy, Jeff 21
Drapp,Larry 15
Blanck Will, 14
Burrell, Al 9
Wazocha, Blake 7
Savage, Nick 7
Martin, Jeff 6
Such, Jeff 3
Gonzalez, Tim 3
B,Al 3
Benedict, John 3
Avino, Rick 2
Shea, Benjiman 2
Kaminski, JP 2
Shea, Benjamin 1

4wd Modified Buggy
Driver Total Points

Vega, Reinaldo 35
Dupuis,Shawn 18
Roy, Jeff 18
Wazocha, Blake 17
Lawson, Eric 15
Wazocha, Eric 13
Kennedy, Jay 13
Benedict, John 6
Dupuis, Shawn 5
Zalonski, Tom 4
Blanck, Will 3
Zalonsri,Tom 1
Taylor, Adam 1

4wd Modified Short Course Truck
Driver Total Points

Mosley, Kevin 28
Roy, Jeff 18
Benedict, John 13
Blanck Will, 11
Howe, Donald 5
Taylor, Adam 5
Vega, Reinaldo 3
Such, Jeff 3
Blanck, Will 3
Collings, Trevor 1
Kane, Nate 1

Sportsman-SCT
Driver Total Points

Haynes, Isaac 3
Buslewicz, Aiden 2
Delgado, Eddy 1
Old 08-01-2014, 08:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On a lighter note: http://www.teamxray.com/xb8e/
Old 08-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Looks like it may rain tomorrow during the day. Hopefully the track is dry enough to run tomorrow evening...

I am considering running my CAT 2000 or a YZ10 tomorrow in 4wd buggy...just gotta trust you bozos enough not to smash it around

And speaking of vintage 4wd, I have a Lazer ZX and another CAT 2000 that I am willing to offload. PM me if interested.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rain, schmain! It's always sunny at RCHR.

I need to shake down my Cat 2000EC as well. Just need a RX. Hopefully there's still one Airtronics cheapie in the case when I get there tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trev I have a few of the mxv new receivers in the case. Dont know the exact price off the top of my head but reasonable
Old 08-02-2014, 06:10 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey Willy, can you get me that $65 Airtronics receiver for the M11X? I'll pick it up Saturday morning.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Addict

Both tracks depending on weather should be great for SNL. The bump on the sweeper for the indoor track was touched up. The outdoor track only has one race night on it and will be nicely watered if it the weather holds out.

Should be fun either way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.