Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

1/8 onroad setup help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:10 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by BD1541
Hey may I know how many degrees of steering angle do you run on your car normally and what length servo horn do you run? Just trying to determine what steering angles are too extreme?

Thx

dixon
The steer has no on/off function, it is fully controlable. I do set my angle to the max mechanical limits with the range settings on the transmitter keeping the D/R at 100%, when needed on the track I sometimes lower the D/R range.

Originally Posted by rick oxley
wow didnt mean to start a argument but makes some good reading

one thing i have learnt over the years is there are 2 things that make a car
handle how it does one is setup the other is driver input. maybe why so many
diffrent veiws on this but please keep this thread going always things to learn.
There are more ways to get a same result. Like with electric 1/10 touring a lot is done with the Ackermann to get the steer right while we do the most with the caster and some start with changing the anti roll bar or a different spring.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:14 AM
Tech Lord

Some F1 humor from last week regarding the subject
Attached Thumbnails 1/8 onroad setup help-19667505_1042997675830480_3544068792255855219_o.jpg  
YBSLOW and snuvet75 like this.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Interesting discussion. Yep, we were at Timez... "The Backyard". Scott was, as usual, fast. The track is challenging: Elevation changes, off camber turns, big sweeping on camber turns - just plain exciting and very challenging. First time at the track with the VS powered Capricorn. We had very limited track time due to the large entry field and controlled practice - lots of decisions had to be made on how to get the car fast. Well, Scott qualified 3rd and we were relatively happy with that - unfortunately during the main our rear pulley came loose (Paolo M said I need to change my protein powder) and put Scott in the pit for a lifetime while I tightened the pesky setscrew. Our positive take away was Scott's 15 average fast laps (during the main) were within one tenth of Joaquin Jr and JJ's 15 average fast laps - so, the car and driver were on the mark.

Roelof and Jonathan are spot on about the solid diff and how "lifting" the inside rear tire creates the proper 1/8th scale car rotation. The "lift" doesn't have to be visible, but, it is a huge percentage of correct car setup. It's an easy concept once you see the visual explanation. These cars drift - to go fast you have to create a controlled drift. Here's a little mental cheat list in order of importance for correctly managed "slip": tire durometer, track width, sway bar, spring rate, body, then static camber. Then the Fine tuning steps: shock oil, roll center (which I always think of as camber gain), Ackerman, caster. As the setup gets really close I adjust the camber for effect along with minor toe changes. Watch this very cool video from this weekend. Titled: Controlled drift! Slow motion reveal. Action from "The BackYard"

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Empire-R...=page_internal

I'm sure others have car setup viewpoints that work for them - this just works for my feeble little mind.

Last edited by Rich Browne; 07-17-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Here a pic of the fastest guy in Holland, also shot by me.

Here you can clearly see the inner wheel is still touching the ground in a very tight middle speed corner but see how much (or better said: less) it is touching the ground. I am pretty sure with Ralph this is the same because our cars are designed to do this. When running the cars it is very difficult to notice this, even when you want to see this happen you can not see it clearly.

Only on photos and slowmotion movies you can see this.
An amazing photo depicting our a phenomenal machine entering a corner. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Interesting discussion. Yep, we were at Timez... "The Backyard". Scott was, as usual, fast. The track is challenging: Elevation changes, off camber turns, big sweeping on camber turns - just plain exciting and very challenging. First time at the track with the VS powered Capricorn. We had very limited track time due to the large entry field and controlled practice - lots of decisions had to be made on how to get the car fast. Well, Scott qualified 3rd and we were relatively happy with that - unfortunately during the main our rear pulley came loose (Paolo M said I need to change my protein powder) and put Scott in the pit for a lifetime while I tightened the pesky setscrew. Our positive take away was Scott's 15 average fast laps (during the main) were within one tenth of Joaquin Jr and JJ's 15 average fast laps - so, the car and driver were on the mark.

Roelof and Jonathan are spot on about the solid diff and how "lifting" the inside rear tire creates the proper 1/8th scale car rotation. The "lift" doesn't have to be visible, but, it is a huge percentage of correct car setup. It's an easy concept once you see the visual explanation. These cars drift - to go fast you have to create a controlled drift. Here's a little mental cheat list in order of importance for correctly managed "slip": tire durometer, track width, sway bar, spring rate, body, then static camber. Then the Fine tuning steps: shock oil, roll center (which I always think of as camber gain), Ackerman, caster. As the setup gets really close I adjust the camber for effect along with minor toe changes. Watch this very cool video from this weekend. Titled: Controlled drift! Slow motion reveal. Action from "The BackYard"

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Empire-R...=page_internal

I'm sure others have car setup viewpoints that work for them - this just works for my feeble little mind.
Cool videos! Thanks. Did u have to run more camber than normal to account for the off camber turns? What track width did u guys run? Thanks
Old 07-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jonathan
Cool videos! Thanks. Did u have to run more camber than normal to account for the off camber turns? What track width did u guys run? Thanks
Quite a bit more static camber than normal - plus, Scott typically likes the upper pins in and down - a lot more camber gain than most people prefer. As far as the track surface - "The Backyard" used VP Track Bite and have sealed the track with a sealer that has very little "grit"(damn good seal). Tire wear was fairly low and traction was above average. Car front track is as narrow as possible with minimal scrub sets. I'll measure it this weekend when I do the tear down.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by michael 1
you very well may be fast at your track , that how ever does not mean you are the final word on set up , as for results i have never been in the habit of saving pics of qaulys as my self worth has not been tied to that, that being said ,i am fast enough btw i think 2 post down you agree with the inside unloading?
now weather this needs to happen on every corner i cant say only that it does happen and when properly set up a car will be faster all things being equal
hey mike It was different tracks, also I don't save pics either its called the internet its this thing u go on your computer and u can see a ton of info including looking up old race results, also did I say in any of my post that I have final word? I said 10 times this is the way I like my car and to give it a try if they wanted to. if u read the other posts they make it sound like the car has to do that and that's it so I am just showing u there are other ways to try something. and I say it again of course there is a degree of unloading but my point is the less it unloads the better in my point of view .. again this is no argument ill say it for the 100th'ed time try it u might like it
Old 07-17-2017, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Quite a bit more static camber than normal - plus, Scott typically likes the upper pins in and down - a lot more camber gain than most people prefer. As far as the track surface - "The Backyard" used VP Track Bite and have sealed the track with a sealer that has very little "grit"(damn good seal). Tire wear was fairly low and traction was above average. Car front track is as narrow as possible with minimal scrub sets. I'll measure it this weekend when I do the tear down.
rich I'm more interested in the bbq he has for everyone at the track!!! can u tell us how the food was !!!! lol
Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 AM
Tech Lord

Some weeks ago I also made a slowmo vid

https://youtu.be/1CO5AeM7pRY
Old 07-18-2017, 02:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
Some weeks ago I also made a slowmo vid

https://youtu.be/1CO5AeM7pRY
seen also the other video u have with the break in machines u have such cool toys!!! can I come over and hang out with u!!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 02:52 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by ralphierace13
seen also the other video u have with the break in machines u have such cool toys!!! can I come over and hang out with u!!!!
No problem
Old 07-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

thanks rich you used the magic words controlled drift this is what i was trying
to achive when i started this thread been new to 1/8 onroad this is were iam at
i can control the start of the drift mainly with clutch setings but when the clutch is fully out the power starts to get to much and i have to back out of
the throttle so the car does not spin so i end up bliping the throttle and geting
understeer/oversteer any other class and my fix would be easy as going lighter
on the rear diff oil. any advice would be great

thanks rick...
Old 07-18-2017, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

forgot to ask whats tire durometer,never heard of this
Old 07-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

thanks rich you used the magic words controlled drift this is what i was trying
to achive when i started this thread been new to 1/8 onroad this is were iam at
i can control the start of the drift mainly with clutch setings but when the clutch is fully out the power starts to get to much and i have to back out of
the throttle so the car does not spin so i end up bliping the throttle and geting
understeer/oversteer any other class and my fix would be easy as going lighter
on the rear diff oil. any advice would be great

thanks rick...
Where are you running the car?

1/8th scale, like all classes of cars, have unique needs. The major difference in 1/8th is the monster power and how effectively you can get that power to the ground. You have to learn how to balance the power to the handling - you can't mask the application of power with an improper chassis setup. I am happy to try to help, but, a knowledgeable and willing track coach is your best bet.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

forgot to ask whats tire durometer,never heard of this
durometer: THE MEASURE OF THE HARDNESS OF RUBBER COMPOUNDS. You buy your tires using the Shore A durometer type. The choice of tire durometer is the most critical decision in the setup of your car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.