Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 07:50 AM
FRP
Tech Adept

can't wait for the conversion kit!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

yes dennis, we need to talk about the conversion kit pretty soon.!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

First time out with the car last night at a small tight track. Didn't have the setup for that track, nor the gearing and still breaking the engine in... so with that bit of news, the car came in 4th in the A main. This has to be one of the easiest cars to drive I ever owned.

I am going back next week, with the setup, a tuned in engine, and gonna kick some mugen butt! They are all mugens there by the way. So maybe I can change some mines

Just for some information. Good or bad I actually had the car setup for Revelation in California. A bigger track with excellent traction. The car was set up like a Mugen MTX3/4 for that track. I think these setups are a good base for G4S. I went to this small track that also has good traction. So I was setup a bit to stiff and bad gearing and I changed nohting all night because I wasn't feeling well. Also left my glasses, light, chair, etc home. Thought I packed everything before I left??? All I did all night was fill the car up with fuel and work on the engine. And this car was still fast and handled great around the turns.... Folks I think we have a winner here!

Sam
Old 03-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Rookie

car came, other than having to change the servo arm and reverse the ball from what they show it went together well. what reciever pack are you guys using, my hump pack doesnt want to fit. (ordered as a G4, came new in box Mongoose)

Last edited by left turner; 03-04-2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Summary of today's test session at the Aldershot track in England starting at 11am with charging of batteries (TX/RX, Glow start and starter box), finished at 5.30pm.

Tried soft springs initially similar to what I ran on the FW05 (F-1.2, R-1.4) but found the car lazy with a will to spin out under power.
Went to 1.3 on front, better but still spun under power so jumped to 1.5 front, again better but would still lose the rear end, also noted the stiffer the front the more response the car had.
Next went 1.6 rear which planted the rear on the banking but still it span under power so I looked at the castor as I had plenty of power on steering but a little dead on turn in, went to minimum castor (top arms fully forward), this made steering quicker with better turn in and reduced power on steering a little which felt more comfortable to drive, whilst still on this set up I decided to tighten up the 1.8 Clutch spring by half a turn as I felt it was biting a little early and sharp, was surprised at the difference and how much the car suddenly came alive and easier to apply the power (should have done this much earlier).
Next tried 1.7 on front and the rear was much better under power but still occasionally broke.
Then to 1.8 front, car suddenly had that feeling I was looking for, almost solid rear end with comfortable understeer but still plenty of power on steering, I could now apply the power fairly hard (ok, on/off switch style as I keep being told).
By this time the tyres were getting a wee small so a new set went on, also a group of IC drivers hit the track, this was the first real chance to drive the car hard in traffic and it felt comfortable and quick without having to fight the track (almost collected Matt Oke in the process, opted to use the grass), managed to post my fastest ever lap of 14.22 (beating the RRR lap of 14.38 ), it's not as fast as Darren's 13.77 but he is the British Champion .

Here is what I finished the day with:

Front:
Solid Axle
2° camber
minimum castor
1° toe out
199mm
50wt Schumacher
2x 1.2mm holes
Orange 1.8 springs
Roll Bar 0°
Ride Height 5mm

Rear:
Diff kit 10,000wt
3° camber
Upper arm inner lower hole, outer upper hole
3° toe in
200mm
50wt Schumacher
2x 1.2mm holes
Light Blue 1.6 springs
Roll Bar 90°
Ride Height 5mm

Tyres:
Speedmind 37's
26mm front
30mm rear
Same diameter front and rear

Gears:
Pinions 18/24
Spurs as kit

Shell:
Protoform Mazda6
Old 03-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default Loose Rear

Everytime I've run the Mazda 6 on the G4S I've had to fight the rear end of the car being loose. The cars handling was edgy, and tail happy. You really might want to consider trying The Stratus 3.1 it will really settle the car down.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by left turner
car came, other than having to change the servo arm and reverse the ball from what they show it went together well. what reciever pack are you guys using, my hump pack doesnt want to fit. (ordered as a G4, came new in box Mongoose)

G4/ Mongoose uses same battery pack as MTX-3, it is a AAA hump pack.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

found that out and went to hobby shop but they were out , so i went to wal-mart and picked up some 950 mah and made up 2 packs. finished breaking it in, WOW does it move on out. we run a small tight track with a fresh coat of sealer on it. can anyone give me a good stating setup for this car? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sfelish
First time out with the car last night at a small tight track. Didn't have the setup for that track, nor the gearing and still breaking the engine in... so with that bit of news, the car came in 4th in the A main. This has to be one of the easiest cars to drive I ever owned.

I am going back next week, with the setup, a tuned in engine, and gonna kick some mugen butt! They are all mugens there by the way. So maybe I can change some mines

Just for some information. Good or bad I actually had the car setup for Revelation in California. A bigger track with excellent traction. The car was set up like a Mugen MTX3/4 for that track. I think these setups are a good base for G4S. I went to this small track that also has good traction. So I was setup a bit to stiff and bad gearing and I changed nohting all night because I wasn't feeling well. Also left my glasses, light, chair, etc home. Thought I packed everything before I left??? All I did all night was fill the car up with fuel and work on the engine. And this car was still fast and handled great around the turns.... Folks I think we have a winner here!

Sam

the durability was very well tested
Old 03-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Back from an enjoyable days racing, had a few faster drivers there today but I am glad to say that I qualified ahead of a good few who have recently been out qualifying me even if I only made 10th in the A final.
Got my best time down to a 21:314.??, slightly slower than the 21:307.50 I set with the RRR but that was in hot 24C weather with lots of grip unlike todays 4c and lower grip, so the car is definately on track (excuse the pun).
Had a good 10 minute final, very clean race, only incidents for me was 1 off (trying to get out of the way while being lapped, but lots of dust out there) and 3 half spins after clipping the inside kerbs, this being a driver problem as the brain cannot get used to applying so much power around a corner (not enough power causes the car to turn too tightly).
Where did I finish? 7th on 39 laps, ok so Darren won on 42 laps.
I will need to get another pipe as this one seems to not let the motor rev causing me to be 2or3 mph slower, but come the infield and those Mugen racers new very much that I was there.
Only problem I have is severe brake fade, maybe the vented Kfactory disc and pads are needed to meet the demands of my brake thumb, otherwise an excellent car, so easy to drive and with so much power on steering.
Well done TM for making this car, no thoughts of a return to Kyosho.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NiMo
Back from an enjoyable days racing, had a few faster drivers there today but I am glad to say that I qualified ahead of a good few who have recently been out qualifying me even if I only made 10th in the A final.
Got my best time down to a 21:314.??, slightly slower than the 21:307.50 I set with the RRR but that was in hot 24C weather with lots of grip unlike todays 4c and lower grip, so the car is definately on track (excuse the pun).
Had a good 10 minute final, very clean race, only incidents for me was 1 off (trying to get out of the way while being lapped, but lots of dust out there) and 3 half spins after clipping the inside kerbs, this being a driver problem as the brain cannot get used to applying so much power around a corner (not enough power causes the car to turn too tightly).
Where did I finish? 7th on 39 laps, ok so Darren won on 42 laps.
I will need to get another pipe as this one seems to not let the motor rev causing me to be 2or3 mph slower, but come the infield and those Mugen racers new very much that I was there.
Only problem I have is severe brake fade, maybe the vented Kfactory disc and pads are needed to meet the demands of my brake thumb, otherwise an excellent car, so easy to drive and with so much power on steering.
Well done TM for making this car, no thoughts of a return to Kyosho.

good to hear that you did well. from your explanation I think G4 is better then RRR. I am temped to buy one after my bank account works
Old 03-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default Build review ... final part.

OK guys, the final part of my unpaid, unsponsored, review of the G4S build as well as test drive is up over at 3hobby.net.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks SS... I like your reviews, they give great insight on the vehicle, tips and tricks, and they are helpfull.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

that is a great review, S&S, I really enjoy reading it

btw, have anyone know has was the weight distribution left to right now? curious about it
Old 03-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

hi car breaker,
with 2 sanwa servo's in my car, the left/right balance is pretty much perfect, and you do feel the difference when driving compared to the old car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.