R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2006, 08:50 AM   #691
FRP
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 192
Default

can't wait for the conversion kit!
FRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:58 AM   #692
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 149
Default

yes dennis, we need to talk about the conversion kit pretty soon.!
formosa008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #693
Tech Regular
 
4F1Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Gold Canyon,Arizona
Posts: 381
Default

First time out with the car last night at a small tight track. Didn't have the setup for that track, nor the gearing and still breaking the engine in... so with that bit of news, the car came in 4th in the A main. This has to be one of the easiest cars to drive I ever owned.

I am going back next week, with the setup, a tuned in engine, and gonna kick some mugen butt! They are all mugens there by the way. So maybe I can change some mines

Just for some information. Good or bad I actually had the car setup for Revelation in California. A bigger track with excellent traction. The car was set up like a Mugen MTX3/4 for that track. I think these setups are a good base for G4S. I went to this small track that also has good traction. So I was setup a bit to stiff and bad gearing and I changed nohting all night because I wasn't feeling well. Also left my glasses, light, chair, etc home. Thought I packed everything before I left??? All I did all night was fill the car up with fuel and work on the engine. And this car was still fast and handled great around the turns.... Folks I think we have a winner here!

Sam
4F1Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #694
Tech Rookie
 
left turner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: tuscaloos,ala
Posts: 8
Default

car came, other than having to change the servo arm and reverse the ball from what they show it went together well. what reciever pack are you guys using, my hump pack doesnt want to fit. (ordered as a G4, came new in box Mongoose)

Last edited by left turner; 03-04-2006 at 10:33 AM.
left turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #695
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Summary of today's test session at the Aldershot track in England starting at 11am with charging of batteries (TX/RX, Glow start and starter box), finished at 5.30pm.

Tried soft springs initially similar to what I ran on the FW05 (F-1.2, R-1.4) but found the car lazy with a will to spin out under power.
Went to 1.3 on front, better but still spun under power so jumped to 1.5 front, again better but would still lose the rear end, also noted the stiffer the front the more response the car had.
Next went 1.6 rear which planted the rear on the banking but still it span under power so I looked at the castor as I had plenty of power on steering but a little dead on turn in, went to minimum castor (top arms fully forward), this made steering quicker with better turn in and reduced power on steering a little which felt more comfortable to drive, whilst still on this set up I decided to tighten up the 1.8 Clutch spring by half a turn as I felt it was biting a little early and sharp, was surprised at the difference and how much the car suddenly came alive and easier to apply the power (should have done this much earlier).
Next tried 1.7 on front and the rear was much better under power but still occasionally broke.
Then to 1.8 front, car suddenly had that feeling I was looking for, almost solid rear end with comfortable understeer but still plenty of power on steering, I could now apply the power fairly hard (ok, on/off switch style as I keep being told).
By this time the tyres were getting a wee small so a new set went on, also a group of IC drivers hit the track, this was the first real chance to drive the car hard in traffic and it felt comfortable and quick without having to fight the track (almost collected Matt Oke in the process, opted to use the grass), managed to post my fastest ever lap of 14.22 (beating the RRR lap of 14.38 ), it's not as fast as Darren's 13.77 but he is the British Champion .

Here is what I finished the day with:

Front:
Solid Axle
2 camber
minimum castor
1 toe out
199mm
50wt Schumacher
2x 1.2mm holes
Orange 1.8 springs
Roll Bar 0
Ride Height 5mm

Rear:
Diff kit 10,000wt
3 camber
Upper arm inner lower hole, outer upper hole
3 toe in
200mm
50wt Schumacher
2x 1.2mm holes
Light Blue 1.6 springs
Roll Bar 90
Ride Height 5mm

Tyres:
Speedmind 37's
26mm front
30mm rear
Same diameter front and rear

Gears:
Pinions 18/24
Spurs as kit

Shell:
Protoform Mazda6
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #696
Tech Regular
 
RayJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 445
Default Loose Rear

Everytime I've run the Mazda 6 on the G4S I've had to fight the rear end of the car being loose. The cars handling was edgy, and tail happy. You really might want to consider trying The Stratus 3.1 it will really settle the car down.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #697
Tech Master
 
Car Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Grave Yard
Posts: 1,261
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by left turner
car came, other than having to change the servo arm and reverse the ball from what they show it went together well. what reciever pack are you guys using, my hump pack doesnt want to fit. (ordered as a G4, came new in box Mongoose)

G4/ Mongoose uses same battery pack as MTX-3, it is a AAA hump pack.
__________________
Xray X12 2015
ARC R10 ATS
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #698
Tech Rookie
 
left turner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: tuscaloos,ala
Posts: 8
Default

found that out and went to hobby shop but they were out , so i went to wal-mart and picked up some 950 mah and made up 2 packs. finished breaking it in, WOW does it move on out. we run a small tight track with a fresh coat of sealer on it. can anyone give me a good stating setup for this car? Thanks.
left turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #699
Tech Elite
 
Derby Bros Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,209
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfelish
First time out with the car last night at a small tight track. Didn't have the setup for that track, nor the gearing and still breaking the engine in... so with that bit of news, the car came in 4th in the A main. This has to be one of the easiest cars to drive I ever owned.

I am going back next week, with the setup, a tuned in engine, and gonna kick some mugen butt! They are all mugens there by the way. So maybe I can change some mines

Just for some information. Good or bad I actually had the car setup for Revelation in California. A bigger track with excellent traction. The car was set up like a Mugen MTX3/4 for that track. I think these setups are a good base for G4S. I went to this small track that also has good traction. So I was setup a bit to stiff and bad gearing and I changed nohting all night because I wasn't feeling well. Also left my glasses, light, chair, etc home. Thought I packed everything before I left??? All I did all night was fill the car up with fuel and work on the engine. And this car was still fast and handled great around the turns.... Folks I think we have a winner here!

Sam


the durability was very well tested
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #700
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Back from an enjoyable days racing, had a few faster drivers there today but I am glad to say that I qualified ahead of a good few who have recently been out qualifying me even if I only made 10th in the A final.
Got my best time down to a 21:314.??, slightly slower than the 21:307.50 I set with the RRR but that was in hot 24C weather with lots of grip unlike todays 4c and lower grip, so the car is definately on track (excuse the pun).
Had a good 10 minute final, very clean race, only incidents for me was 1 off (trying to get out of the way while being lapped, but lots of dust out there) and 3 half spins after clipping the inside kerbs, this being a driver problem as the brain cannot get used to applying so much power around a corner (not enough power causes the car to turn too tightly).
Where did I finish? 7th on 39 laps, ok so Darren won on 42 laps.
I will need to get another pipe as this one seems to not let the motor rev causing me to be 2or3 mph slower, but come the infield and those Mugen racers new very much that I was there.
Only problem I have is severe brake fade, maybe the vented Kfactory disc and pads are needed to meet the demands of my brake thumb, otherwise an excellent car, so easy to drive and with so much power on steering.
Well done TM for making this car, no thoughts of a return to Kyosho.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #701
Tech Master
 
Car Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Grave Yard
Posts: 1,261
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
Back from an enjoyable days racing, had a few faster drivers there today but I am glad to say that I qualified ahead of a good few who have recently been out qualifying me even if I only made 10th in the A final.
Got my best time down to a 21:314.??, slightly slower than the 21:307.50 I set with the RRR but that was in hot 24C weather with lots of grip unlike todays 4c and lower grip, so the car is definately on track (excuse the pun).
Had a good 10 minute final, very clean race, only incidents for me was 1 off (trying to get out of the way while being lapped, but lots of dust out there) and 3 half spins after clipping the inside kerbs, this being a driver problem as the brain cannot get used to applying so much power around a corner (not enough power causes the car to turn too tightly).
Where did I finish? 7th on 39 laps, ok so Darren won on 42 laps.
I will need to get another pipe as this one seems to not let the motor rev causing me to be 2or3 mph slower, but come the infield and those Mugen racers new very much that I was there.
Only problem I have is severe brake fade, maybe the vented Kfactory disc and pads are needed to meet the demands of my brake thumb, otherwise an excellent car, so easy to drive and with so much power on steering.
Well done TM for making this car, no thoughts of a return to Kyosho.

good to hear that you did well. from your explanation I think G4 is better then RRR. I am temped to buy one after my bank account works
__________________
Xray X12 2015
ARC R10 ATS
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #702
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default Build review ... final part.

OK guys, the final part of my unpaid, unsponsored, review of the G4S build as well as test drive is up over at 3hobby.net.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:22 PM   #703
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: toledo
Posts: 37
Default

Thanks SS... I like your reviews, they give great insight on the vehicle, tips and tricks, and they are helpfull.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #704
Tech Master
 
Car Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Grave Yard
Posts: 1,261
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

that is a great review, S&S, I really enjoy reading it

btw, have anyone know has was the weight distribution left to right now? curious about it
__________________
Xray X12 2015
ARC R10 ATS
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:31 AM   #705
Tech Apprentice
 
muppet racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 91
Default

hi car breaker,
with 2 sanwa servo's in my car, the left/right balance is pretty much perfect, and you do feel the difference when driving compared to the old car.
muppet racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Team Magic G4 - LRP Z12R Team Spec 2 - Add RX/TX LogiK Australia For Sale/Trade 1 08-03-2007 02:00 AM
Team Magic G4s MaDaGAS CAR Australia For Sale/Trade 29 05-07-2007 03:30 AM
Brian Berry Joins Team Phenix/Team Magic Motorman Nitro On-Road 27 03-07-2006 05:51 AM
team magic g4 + elephant R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 04-26-2004 07:34 AM
Team Magic G4 "Black Magic" tennessee Nitro On-Road 32 04-20-2003 11:40 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:30 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net