Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

I haven't heard a thing as yet. I hope Dennis will find a way to a computer and tell his thoughts and results. Be cool to know after a couple of days running now how they are doing!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Tony,
yes still sponsored by microtech, they are doing really well, got a great shop !

personally i like the shorter wheelbase, but its a really easy thing to do, theres plenty of meat on the wishbone, so i would recommend you try it if thats what your looking for.

I understand what you say about the rear, whenever the rear rolls it spoils the handling, so, i always run the rear roll bar vertical (helps the car turn in nice too), and try the rear link at its steepest angle.
with the new car and weight distribution i think this is a better balanced car, so it might be not so much of an issue, but its still a car thats setup from the rear.

i used stock ones last year ( dilled 2 holes @1.3mm), in the new car i have the kit (white ones) these i have drilled out 2 holes at 1.2mm (cant find my 1.3mm drill bit !!!) and the new ones feel nice, but there is a washer underneath, and so they are much better seated.
i cant really tell any difference myself !
good luck,
darren.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobertM
Just wondering, does anybody have any info on how the G4S drivers are doing at the Winter Nats? Hopefully they put in a real good showing.
Does not look good so far but there is a lot of comp there.
I was there on Saturday practicing & al I can tell you it's a rough crowd
Old 02-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got off the phone with Dennis,a nd he says the G4S's are coming around. Considering most of the cars have been in the US for under 2 weeks, he says they've got alot sorted out the past two days. No breakages, or car problems, mostly fuel and engine related.

He DID say the handling is outstanding, and they're working to get it better, and hope to surprise everyone by the finals.

He said he's dying to get on here and post something, but their planned uplink is not working. I suggested to him to see Jarrod, to see if he can "borrow some bandwidth" to post.

He also said Jarrod was after him for pics, and that they will take care of that as well.

Tony
Old 02-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Smile

Seeing that the G4S is a new car and not a lot of testing it will take sometime to get a setup to get into the top ten sedan at the winternats, considering it been out a few weeks prior to such a big sanction race that is a lot of pressure on team magic to see results in a short time in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

True. True.

Also, consider that the weather went from high 30's on Monday, to a possible in the 70's or 80's by Friday, man, that doesn't really help at all! That's a tremendously moving target, and they could be chasing the setup all week long!

He is positive, and is satisfied with the gains they have made so far.

My question would be, is this too much car to play around with on asphalt?
I mean, I'm not playing around on the roughest stuff, it is relatively smooth, but is this overkill to play with?

It is an intriguing option for me....

Tony
Old 02-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sharkonwheels
True. True.

Also, consider that the weather went from high 30's on Monday, to a possible in the 70's or 80's by Friday, man, that doesn't really help at all! That's a tremendously moving target, and they could be chasing the setup all week long!

I mean, I'm not playing around on the roughest stuff, it is relatively smooth, but is this overkill to play with?

Tony
Great point Tony, Hopefully someone can answer these questions.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

I also talked to Dennis last night, and one of the reasons he is so positive is the laps they have turned in their heats. If you notice the A main has 22 laps in 5:08 time and the guys there with the new G4S are turning 21 laps and on the verge of turning 22!!! The car is handling good and the setup for the car seems to be a more stiffer setup now than past. Dennis felt they got the clutch tuning down now to get the extra low end burst to be better out of turns and we just may see a 22 lap run today from a G4S. Not bad!!!!

Just a funny note, maybe not to funny for you back east guys, since I am in Phoenix at 78 degrees yesterday, I found this a bit unbelievable. The other day it was 38 degrees out there ( I don't go outside if I can see my breath in the air--standard rule), and had his car on the track. He went sideways a bit and hit a wall with one of his tires and the tire literally blew up! The plastic was so cold that slight hit was all it needed. Yes guys, this is the WINTERNATS!

Sam
Old 02-16-2006, 06:18 AM
Tech Regular

True. True.

Tony
I can say one thing in regard to your question. This car, Dennis has found out, to be very stout. The new plastic is proving to be very strong. In one heat Dennis hit the car against the boards very hard and only broke a knuckle. He was very impressed with that. By the way, and you never heard this from me, Dennis is the only G4S driver testing the durability of the car this weekend!!!

Sam
Old 02-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Now, keep i mind, I'm still learning....

Alot of people I run with, avoid the Triple-R's, and the R40's, and the other "high-end" cars, because they say those are great on groomed/maintained tracks, but are not good on regular surfaces we run on.
Now, we aren't running on pebble-laden streets, but they aren't exactly groomed, hig-traction single-purpose tracks

And yes, I forgot to mention that he said they tuned the clutch a bit, and it improved things.

The car is intriguing me more and more, but I'm just wondering if it may be "too much" for my use, and end up being too sensitive to the surfaces I would run it on.

Tony
Old 02-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Alot of people I run with, avoid the Triple-R's, and the R40's, and the other "high-end" cars, because they say those are great on groomed/maintained tracks, but are not good on regular surfaces we run on.
Now, we aren't running on pebble-laden streets, but they aren't exactly groomed, hig-traction single-purpose tracks

And yes, I forgot to mention that he said they tuned the clutch a bit, and it improved things.

The car is intriguing me more and more, but I'm just wondering if it may be "too much" for my use, and end up being too sensitive to the surfaces I would run it on.

Tony
What car do you have now?

Last edited by Ivan Dickson; 02-16-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tony
what car do they have?
Old 02-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone knows about the G4-S on the Winternats ?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

I currently have (2) HPI Nitro Racer 2's for on-road - a .21-engined straight-line rocket I'm building, and a .12 engined version, and a Nitro RS4 2 chassis I'm going to build-up later. I also have an HPI Savage 4.6 SS, and a Duratrax Nitro Evader ST.

The folks I run with, run everything from Serpent 710's/950's/960's, to HPI Proceeds, Super Nitros, and raceer 2's, and everything in between!

Tony
Old 02-17-2006, 02:54 AM
Tech Elite

Hi folks,

Part 1 of the G4S build review is now online at 3hobby.net.

The article includes build tips from Darren Johnson and others. Could be handy for those who have not built their kits yet and for those lurking in the forums here planning to get and build one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.