Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by afm
After reading some of the latest posts around here, I thought it would be a good idea to repost a compilation of tips given by Darren Johnson and Dennis Richey some time ago. Hope they help.

AFM

SETTING TIPS ON THE G4 S

Tip on shocks:

When assembling the shocks don’t use the thin O-ring (502127), its not required, and if used can sometimes twist the bladder. I superglue the aluminum and plastic shock cap parts together, otherwise the plastic can twist, then twist the bladder. If bladders keep collapsing in on themselves, glue them so they don’t fall into the shocks, also you can try putting some O-rings, or a small piece of fuel tube on the shock shaft, above the plastic shock ball cup. this will stop the piston being pushed up too far when you don’t have a spring on the shock. Don’t fill the shocks up too much, I fill mine to about 1mm below the top of the shock body. Whatever bladder you use, if the shock is too full, or the piston gets pushed too far, bladder will collapse.

Tips on Springs:

When you try softer springs, you will find that you don't need a very big steering angle. Less steering angle means higher speed. The G4 has too low CG and the kit is too light. If you use hard springs up front, you will find that the car doesn't turn good. Also rear traction is no good if you use rear hard springs. Use TM springs 1.3~1.5, it is the only choice.

tm gray 1.9mm 52.0 lb/in
tm orange 1.8mm 41.5 lb/in
tm blue 1.7mm 31.0 lb/in
tm aqua 1.6mm 26.0 lb/in
tm silver kit stock 26.0 lb/in
tm purple 1.5mm 20.0 lb/in
tm pink 1.4mm 17.0 lb/in
tm fuccia 1.3mm 13.5 lb/in
tm green 1.2mm 11.0 lb/in

Tips on Shock oil:

Depends on track conditions and weather. We use a light weight oil all round (30wt or 40wt Associated), it will make a difference (check for conversion to other makes of oil I tried 40wt Schumacher and it was too stiff ).

In more hot weather conditions upping the oil wt will probably be needed.
Increasing the piston shock hole size from stock to 1.2 or 1.3mm Dia. works well, specially at the rear of the car.
90% of the time we don't use the rear bar on the car. We have raced all over this year from low traction parking lot to high traction Toledo, and I think Revelation is the exception early in the morning and late at night.

My opinion is if you have to run a tire 42 shore or harder on the front, remove the rear bar. That’s a good reference. I take off mine the minute I have to go to 42 fronts. usually by then I have loads of front steering I'm trying to get rid off.

Tips about suspension down stop:

low grip track: Front 0 / Rear +2 (start with this)
high grip track: Front +2 / Rear +4 (when your car is too sensitive)
super high grip track: Front +4 / Rear +4 (traction roll)

Front solid axle - Use it on low grip situations, where you need to brake hard for the corners. The hard braking will give you enough weight transfer to turn the car. The front solid axle will give you better acceleration out of the corners. If you don't plan on using a lot of brakes you should not be running a front solid axle.

Front One-Way – Use it on high grip situations. Light braking and fast and coasting corners are for one-ways.

Front differential- Will give you more turn-in for the corners, but you will sacrifice acceleration out of the corners. Of course you can control some of that with heavier differential fluid.
Most of the preferences between front solid axle vs. differential is driving preferences. Easy to drive with a differential is not always faster. I just never liked what you give up on acceleration out of a corner with a differential.

More steering /rotation:
· Narrowing the front track, making the front only 196-7mm. You can take about 2mm off the off the end of the front wishbones to reduce the front track width without any problems (you may need to shorten the end of the pivot balls too, depends which ones you use), it just gives you the option of running a narrow front track width (down to about 195mm), even with 1mm you can notice a difference. Once you have cut the ends off the wishbones then just measure each hub, from a point on the chassis (to get the same width each side). Just reducing the front by 1mm is noticeable so try it before going the full hog as you may well end up with too much steering/rotation.
· Shortening the wheelbase of the car by taking material from the lower rear “A” arms (wishbones) has a positive effect on improving the cars ability to 'rotate'. The rear lowers can be filed from the front by about 2.5mm, and a 2.5 mm spacer put behind the arm on the hinge, that’s how I have always run my car and it just makes the car rotate quicker.
· Using plenty of rear camber (3 to 4 degrees) and the use of overdrive also can improve rear traction.
Sorry I haven't been on for a while so was digging through the post to see what I missed.

This was one of the excellent post on here with the last portion being something I haven't heard mention very often. And that is shortening of the wheelbase.

I have my rear Lower A arms trimmed down so I have the ability to change my wheelbase by as much as 2mm within seconds. And as explained in this post by triming these A arms and using caster clips for the spacers. A better system I believe will be introduce by TM sometime in March allowing for the same adjustment. This does change your rotation greatly.

In addition the track width also. I run a 198/200 almost all the time. I have gone down to a 197 for a smaller track. But this will change rotation as well.

I don't run a diff so I am useless for advice. So I copy the post on here and one day I will try it for fun and see the effects of this on the car.

I know a lot of guys are working with sway bars as well as myself. You will see a new sway bar system for our cars from TM sometime soon as well.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G4S'er
Wow A great looking track there Frank. One day I will come down there and run there. The staight away looks long and that should make it fun.

You guys have a fun in your series racing. Make the G4S proud of all of you!

Cheers Sam,

The straight can become a drag race at times but you really notice who is fast and who isnt....!

if you ever come down, Oh please let us know, there will be a deck chair, beers & bikini girls

This sunday is we shall have around 5 G4S on track, this will be half field full of TM power.... slowly we are dominating the Local Track!

Ill keep in touch Sam, have a great day!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I found a good deal on some MTX4 pivot balls, do they work on the G4S?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by qcrc
I found a good deal on some MTX4 pivot balls, do they work on the G4S?
no.. mugen pivot balls size is 7.8mm

G4S and Kyosho's pivot balls size is 9.0mm
Old 02-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

thanks for the answer, I thought that they looked a little smaller in the picture but you never really can tell for sure.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Default International Invitation

Hey Razzor,

I'm thinking you can count me in on that international race you mentioned.I'm going to try and plan on comming
If there any others interested for this year, let me know.
Razzor, if I miss the dates when they are out, could you let me know when it will be?
They have put me on third shift now (nights) so I'm not as awake as normal. Kinder miss thing's. I'm hoping it's the night shift and not the age anyhow!!??

Menace
Old 02-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by razzor
GTRMx I think your setup mightjust suit the track we running next weekend for the nats.

It will be interesting to try out.
I think it can!! That tracks bears many similarities with ours...

I wish you the best of luck for this weekend! Enjoy the running!!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by razzor
The track above is the track we will be running the first round of the national series on.Its in East London ,South Africa about a 8 hour drive from Durban where I live.
This is our club track in Durban ,ist called Southway Raceway and is maintained by our club DMCC ie: Durban Model Car Club.

We host the 3rd round of the national series.
I really like the look of this track! This is intricate!!

Looks like a lot of fun!!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Tech Adept

That is a Google Earth snapshot of our track and the green line shows the last layout we used.

I wish I had better images but that will show what I mean...

Infield is at least 5m wide, the furthest turns at the sides of the track are 7.5m wide as is the main straight.

Driver's stand is at the bottom of the pic. Footprint of the whole asphalt slab is 80mts by 40mts!!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by qcrc
gtrmx- I also use Losi shock oil and Ofna diff oils. I found this link on Team TWF8 page. Hope it can help you with your oil mixing.

http://www.gesilicones.com/gesilwiza...l?SMSESSION=NO
Great!! Thanks for the link!!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

just a note on the new K factory foams, i recieved yesterday, i have measured a few pairs and the starting size out of the packet is 66mm. heaps of foam on them, but down side is more cutting to do out of the packet lol
very neat resealable packets for them though, could end up as good parts packages.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

anyone using this one?

Old 02-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ickvanovs
anyone using this one?

Yes, I use it. Dennis Richey suggested it as a cure for a slipping two-speed. I thought it was the bearing, but it was the stock cam being out of round. I haven't had a problem since changing.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, this is the piece to use in the 2 speed. A very nice finished part, but best of all stops any slipage problems. I will tell you I just can't relate to slipage as others have talked about. It generally the oneway if not using K Factories, K1423H or the cam. After that it his and hits well for me.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Frankie, not much of a beer drinker, but if you put those Bikini girls in front of me... I'll need the beer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.