Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Anyone know if Serpent has a development going on to succeed Serpent 705 next year ? Just out of curiosity

The rumor mill has been working on the next 705 coming out as soon as early of next year!! Some may say that the new "706" will have a completely new look. Time will just have to see if it’s the truth!!

Either way the new Serpent 706 car is my next nitro car!!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Que
Ok like i didn't bring up the rim thing first I know i am a rookie but give me some credit
Credit to Que with bents rims.

Old 08-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Que
Tech Adept

Default Re: Any news for new development of SERPENT 200 mm

Originally posted by khyber
Guys,

Anyone know if Serpent has a development going on to succeed Serpent 705 next year ? Just out of curiosity
Yeah when is the next 200mm serpent coming out and will there be a update kit for the 705?

Also is there a fix for the miss alinged holes in the front bulkheads where the upper deck mounting holes are? seams like this is tweaking my chasis!!
Old 08-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Any news for new development of SERPENT 200 mm

Originally posted by Que

Also is there a fix for the miss alinged holes in the front bulkheads where the upper deck mounting holes are? seams like this is tweaking my chasis!!
Yes there is a fix but serpent would rather save money instead of rectifying the problem once and for all,and what is even more surprising is that one of there team members let this slip on mytsn!

I was always wondering why my pro just never quite handled correctly.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Devin
Thanks for the reply guys on the rear camber/toe. This is the first nitro that you couldn't adjust the camber via the top by a turnbuckle. After I put the 705 back on the hudy board I was very suprized that no adjustments were out of alignment. It's a strong car so it stayed in tack. I was a -2.5º camber and 3º toe in for the rear. I changed back to -3º camber L&R and 2º toe in. I'll mount up a new pair of foams and see how that works for me. I still do not understand why when looking from the back of the car that the rear right would cone towards the outside of the rim when most of the turns are right handers...you think the left would wear more and that one looked fine.
Perhaps, it could be that maybe one of the left hand corners is a hard one taken at high speeds... What tire shores are you using?

Yes, the Serpent pivot ball suspension does not allow the camber adjustment to be made via turnbuckle camber links... That is why for the rear, I always set the toe in first and foremost, only then , turn out equal amounts on both pivot balls to get the right rear camber.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Any news for new development of SERPENT 200 mm

Originally posted by Que
Agreed that when it's new, the holes do not align properly. But after in about a few times of taking out and putting the upper deck, the holes on the upper deck and the front bulkheads somehow align. Mine does
Old 08-05-2003, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Sorry to hear that you had one of the miss aligned upper deck.
Out of six 705 I know of only one had that problem and was solved by loosen the bulkhead from the chassis then tighten the upper deck to the bulkhead while tighten the screws to the bulkhead from the chassis. It will all come together perfect.......good luck!
Old 08-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Que
Tech Adept

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Sorry to hear that you had one of the miss aligned upper deck.
Out of six 705 I know of only one had that problem and was solved by loosen the bulkhead from the chassis then tighten the upper deck to the bulkhead while tighten the screws to the bulkhead from the chassis. It will all come together perfect.......good luck!
should i order a new top deck will that solve the problem? or should i get new bulkheads
Old 08-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 706?

Wow cool .... if it's true I am gonna wait for 706 then and i can save some money I am thinking to get another 705 but seems like I'd better wait now
Old 08-06-2003, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Perhaps, it could be that maybe one of the left hand corners is a hard one taken at high speeds... What tire shores are you using?

Yes, the Serpent pivot ball suspension does not allow the camber adjustment to be made via turnbuckle camber links... That is why for the rear, I always set the toe in first and foremost, only then , turn out equal amounts on both pivot balls to get the right rear camber.
Im running 45 shore TRC fronts in 26mm and 30 mm rear 40 shore TRC's. As for the track I ran out, it is an banked oval with an infield, so there is one really sharp 180º left turn that needs to be taken slower than any other turn in the track. Maybe that could be it. I want to see how the tires wear going back to stock settings in the rear. I have also taken the approach to set toe in, and then equal turns to bring it out to reflect the correct negative camber. I guess that way, you always know your track width is always going to be the same L&R.

Also, I was checking out Ralph B's setup and he runs a 5mm spacer and the stock is 7mm high, do you know what the difference in handling characterists would be for doing that?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:06 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Devin
Also, I was checking out Ralph B's setup and he runs a 5mm spacer and the stock is 7mm high, do you know what the difference in handling characterists would be for doing that?
Putting 5 mm spacers on the rear uprights instead of 7 mm makes for slightly lowered rear roll center. A lowered rear roll center introduces more rear traction as it allows the car to roll more than a car with 7 mm rear spacer.

4 to 6 mm spacers are apparently a sweet spot. Try it. What I use for spacers are blown out bearing casings. The ones for the 2 speed layshaft (in the rear bulkheads) and the mid bearing block layshaft are perfect and they are 5 mm thick. I believe their size is 6 x 13 x 5.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Que
Tech Adept

what size were the impulse spacers?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Que
what size were the impulse spacers?
The original Impulse Streetspec does not come with any spacers on the rear hubs. Using rubber tires, these spacers are not required.

On the Impulse PRO kit, this is when the 7 mm spacers were first introduced. They are a standard feature in the 705 kit also. Same 7 mm spacers.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Que
Tech Adept

Originally posted by InitialD
The original Impulse Streetspec does not come with any spacers on the rear hubs. Using rubber tires, these spacers are not required.

On the Impulse PRO kit, this is when the 7 mm spacers were first introduced. They are a standard feature in the 705 kit also. Same 7 mm spacers.
I think that Serpent should make a 6mm 5mm 4mm for tunning purposes that would be a big help in tuning if we could lower the rear rool center!!!!!!!

Hey Serpent are you hearing this!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Well, I think they are in the process...

For the moment, the best and most cost effective way is to use broken bearings that you want to throw away. Just read what I have suggested earlier.

Else, you could also use the engine aluminum washers. If you have extras, you can use them as spacers too. The silver ones that come in the kit are about 2.5 mm thick. For 5 mm spacers, you can use 2 of this shims stacked on top of each other on each side.

For the rear floating GTP mount that I'm currently using on the 705 to mount the Lola shell, I'm using one of these spacers on each side of the rear hub. 2.5 mm is about the max spacing the rear GTP flooating mount will allow without causing any binding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.