Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default AIR-LEAK

Accord,
Make sure that all the screws on the motor are tight and there!!
Nizee gave you a good hint to check your carb seal to the motor....make sure its all the way in and on tight. Nizee and modellor are correct about not having a compression problem it a air-leak problem and lean setting.

Good Luck....
Old 06-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by corwin
Anyone having issues with the earlier release version of the 705 with the chassis that does not have the extra material beside the front screws.
No not really. Just that the particular part tends to bend easier if you crash headon. I crashed mine on a runaway directly to the wall but when I bend it back straight, the hole where the front screw sits developed a crack

I think the newer chassis will not bend easier on that part.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE]Originally posted by InitialD
[B]I basically didn't use them from the get go on the 705. I dremmeled the plastic part off so that I have the space to put an aluminum exhaust holder. You can get them 3rd party from Team Magic etc. It's basically a cyclinder aluminum piece that has a grub screw to hold the pipe via the exhaust wire. This mounts the exhaust pipe very securely. I find that the plastic piece beside the front left bulkhead to hold the exhaust wire is weak and if it breaks, you need to replace the whole front left bulkhead. This is what I've learnt from driving my Impulse.

Do you have a nice pic to show on this modification?
Old 06-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Accord, like most who have replied, the symptoms you mentioned suggested like you have an air leak. When you tighten the button head / heatsink, make sure you tighten them in a cross section. The backplate the same too. Most of the time, the culprit is the carb. It may be loose there or not tightened properly.

The symptoms of an air leak is the engine will idle at a very high RPM for 5 to 10 seconds before going down.

Perhaps it would also be helpful if you could provide us with your needle settings. Using 30% with a no. 5 plug is a little too hot.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by apmk
Do you have a nice pic to show on this modification?
I'll try and post a pic when I get back
Old 06-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
No not really. Just that the particular part tends to bend easier if you crash headon. I crashed mine on a runaway directly to the wall but when I bend it back straight, the hole where the front screw sits developed a crack

I think the newer chassis will not bend easier on that part.
Kind of disappointed that I got my 705 new a couple weeks ago and ended up with the old chassis and not the newer one. Worried that what happened to you will happen to myself. Wonder how much the newer chassis goes for just itself?
Old 06-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by corwin
Kind of disappointed that I got my 705 new a couple weeks ago and ended up with the old chassis and not the newer one. Worried that what happened to you will happen to myself. Wonder how much the newer chassis goes for just itself?
I think all 705 chassis (801185) that comes out will have the new design. Same part number. Just checked out RCCarinternational and they have it at EURO 54.52. Look elsewhere in your area. They should have it already.

You can actually continue to use the one that you currently have until you bend it... There is no performance difference between the two designs. Else, you can always contact modellor. He has a 705 4 mm chassis design up in the pipeline Coming out soon I heard.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Accord, If you don't find your problem by hunting for air leaks and lean settings, the other part of the equation would be if you have something obstructing the fuel, maybe a small piece of debris in the fuel line, or, a small pebble that has found it's way into your pressure line feeding the tank, if this happens (happened to me and I tore my hair looking for the problem) it will create a partial vaccum in the tank, the result is a lean running engine that does not respond to changes in the needle settings, similar to what you describe.

Just another angle to try....
Old 06-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Started a Yahoo group for Serpent 705, thought it would be nice place to post some info and pictures of our cars. Just have to be a member of Yahoo to join group.

Place to put links, pictures, files, etc.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Serpent705/
Old 06-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default laydown servo, advantage?

wat advantage does a lay-down steering servo has?
Old 06-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

Biggest advantage would be lower centre of gravity
Old 06-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Default Chassis

Corwin, and IntialD

I too have a earlier chassis,
and haven't hit anything --and it has a noticable
upward bend in the nose section. What I have
noticed is that it has a lack of on power steering,
with tons of off power...........
I believe a thicker chassis would remeady this problem.

Bill
Old 06-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Modify exhaust hanger on the bulkhead.......
Pretty simple modification.... grind away the old exhaust hanger mount with a dermal and replace it with aluminum one.
No more changing out bulkhead becuz of a busted exhaust mount!
Sorry, InitialD I beat you to your reply!!

Sorry for the poor picture quilty....cheap digtal camera.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 705-picture-150.jpg  

Last edited by PUNISHER; 06-11-2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Modify exhaust hanger on the bulkhead.......
Pretty simple modification.... grind away the old exhaust hanger mount with a dermal and replace it with aluminum one.
No more changing out bulkhead becuz of a busted exhaust mount!
Sorry, InitialD I beat you to your reply!!

Sorry for the poor picture quilty....cheap digtal camera.
Hey Punisher, just invest in a damn digital camera and stop spending on the car... For once you'll do the car justice

Damn, you beat me to it... Yes, that one looks exactly like mine. I think that one comes from Kyosho. It could probably be Mugen.

I actually forgot about wanting to post the pic. Once I saw your post, I could not even take some more pics... Taken too many for the NovaMax till there's no batteries left
Old 06-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Hello all

I will be getting more into gas during the summer and I just wanted some info from all of you regarding necessary hop-up parts, and parts that tend to break for the 705. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.