Search

Tire choice for parkinglot racing?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Hackfest 2002

Originally posted by popsracer
Im2Lazy;

I know the type of person you are talking about. Sounds like a Novice driver in a higher class. (though I do know someone that drives like that in expert).

What I am talking about are the people that are good drivers and can hold a decent line, but when challenged in anyway, they will knock, rear end, bump, what ever they can do to put you into the boards.
Racing is racing and mishaps alway happen. But If it's an accident, then common courtesy is to apologize and wait for him to recover (at least somewhat).
It is usually the same guy(s) at every race that do this. This one guy has done this to me at 3 different races.
Been there done that.......right now we have a young racer in 1/8s that has that driving technique too......an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

Now c'mon, no violence

... doesn't count if its against the other car though

My tracks novice class is the lower mains... not good when your engine and radio equipment decided they need a break during the qualifiers . In these instances, I back off and wait for the announcer to remind the driver who is behind him. But it would be neat if my car shooted oil at the car so it harmlessly slided off the track But that wouldn't work if the driver decided to pull another 'Bond movie' move on my and turn his car into an airplane.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Tambok, that must kind of scary to see an out-of-control 1/8 scale vehicle... . Could lead to some track marshal problems...

That reminds me of those crazed drivers again that jump out of the track and right into your lap... A scary thing when you don't expect it.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:43 AM
Tech Addict

Send them down to the fly boys and see if they can beat the fly boys heights.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I remember one time I was in the C main ( ; at least it wasn't the Dmain ), and battling for the lead, we got past lapped traffic, then some psycho hack ( every tracks got one) that we lapped started driving in overdrive, using the leaders (me and the other guy) as side rails on the edge of the track...
Nothin like being used as brakes..... Whatever you do, never get on a track full of touring cars, with a novice driving a 235 wide body..... Nasty!
Old 11-13-2002, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

posted by V-one S

Send them down to the fly boys and see if they can beat the fly boys heights.
They can't match their heights, but I've seen a couple of nice flybys

Posted by Jordan C

Nothin like being used as brakes..... Whatever you do, never get on a track full of touring cars, with a novice driving a 235 wide body..... Nasty!
I guess that it is a good thing that the track promoter doesn't let anyone drive those kind of vehicles on the track, then.

Last edited by Im2lazy; 11-13-2002 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Default TO Fiream

Fiream;
Have you raced your car again yet?
Did you try anyones suggestions?
Old 11-13-2002, 11:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Default To popsracer

Hey,

I think I'm going to get the Sorex 32's with the hpi med inserts on HPI rims. All in the 26mm. The track temp stays around 75Deg. I don't want to get to sticky of a tire like the 28's or do I?

The track temp might be a little less going into cold weather. But I need to get good tire wear.

Right now the HPI pro slicks with the pro foam inserts are coming off the track just a little sticky and warm.

28's with hard insert?
32's with med inserts?

For HPI RS4 Hmmmm....

Thank's
Old 11-13-2002, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Im2lazy
Tambok, that must kind of scary to see an out-of-control 1/8 scale vehicle... . Could lead to some track marshal problems...

That reminds me of those crazed drivers again that jump out of the track and right into your lap... A scary thing when you don't expect it.
You bet. He is silly fast....doesn't use any brakes. Doesn't slow down when it comes to traffic. I just wait for him to make a mistake then overtake him. He usually lose his concentration when I tailgate him all around the track. He's a friend of mine though.....and I am kindda training him.....don't know anything yet about driving courtesy and all that.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Nope, Haven't raced the car yet. It's been raining here for th las t 3 days. I will race ASAP.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

1/8th scale in the wet..... sounds like showtime to me!
Old 11-13-2002, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default Sorex tires.

The Sorex tires will work much better than the HPI tires.
I start with HPI 24mm Red inserts in all my tires. The Sorex 32's with the Red inserts should work good. If the weather gets hotter on one day, then 36's might work better. Colder and 28's.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Popsracer is right, but since my only knowledge is of warmer track temps, I'll try fill you in on them.
When the track is like 110degrees, then bring out the 36R's. On our track, even when it is coldest in the morning, like 80 degrees, 36R's work fine. As was said multiple times, Sorex Tires have a very wide temperature range. But if you are constantly racing with the track temps at 80, then use a 32 for every race. All you'll need is one set with HPIs blue insert and one set with HPI's red insert, and you'll be good. I prefer the blue, b/c I get too much traction otherwise.

posted by Tambokgt
I just wait for him to make a mistake then overtake him. He usually lose his concentration when I tailgate him all around the track. He's a friend of mine though.....and I am kindda training him.....don't know anything yet about driving courtesy and all that.
I do that to my friend when we race micros in my backyard. He just got an MTX2 so I have to get him to the track and see how he does , I wonder if he'll find me here
He's gotten a lot faster racing me, but he's got to work on that crashing part....
youtheremcdhi?
Old 11-13-2002, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

if you don't break anything when you crash, then it is all good,
for most of the novices this is the good part, for the pros who do like 100km/h down some of the straights they end up taking the cars home in dustpans i've heard.

So don't knock crashing UNTILL you break something.
THEN you get to bitch about it.
OR take bragging rights.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Nah..... The faster the better, i've only needed a plastic bag to pick up my car once. That was enough to knock crashing though. It's overrated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.