Wiki Posts
Search

Which nitro car/engine???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Default Which nitro car/engine???

Hi,
I am an electric driver and looking at going to nitro 1/10. I was wondering what would car to get (hopefully well priced and good/parts availabilty), i was looking at the RDL Mongoose. Is this any good?

What would be a good engine for a decent price? is sirio any good? What pipe?

Do you have to use foam tires? all pics i see are nitros with foams!

thanks
Old 09-06-2005, 04:35 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,

Yes the rdlogics mongoose is an excellent car. I bought mine this season and couldn't be happier.

For the engine -- i went with an rb products v12 3port. This is the basic .12 engine from Rb. Works well -- not the most powerful but i have no problems keeping up at our track.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

the best car u can get is the car best supported by your LHS
what are your choices?

No point getting a GOOD engine yet if u dont know how to tune it... trust me i know...im still feeling the pain
get a cheap second hand one or a cheap basic one first...
Old 09-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Car: serpent 710

engine: novarossi N12LS3
Pipe: get a suitable pipe from Novarossi
These are both top quality choices from my point of view.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

The best car handling I think is V1 RRR WC. It's the current world champ. Why buy RD logic ? This car is same as Team Magic G4 ( the original car ). In my home track, G4, RRR, 710 are frequent winning cars.

The best engine ? It depends how much money you are willing to spend. JP, Max, IDM, RB are premium modified engines. If you don't want to spent too much, Novarossi N12LL5, NSR12S5, OS TZ5 are respectable engines too. There is no point to risk yourself from buying second hand or cheap engine. You could always buy complete set P/S/R to renew engine life.

Dragon makes good point. If your LHS have a car of your choice and tons of spare parts, you are set

You need good FM/PCM radio gears like Sanwa M8 or M11, Ko Propo Helios, Futaba 3PK. You don't want to chase nitro cars

You need metal gear servos, preferably over 8kg of torque for steering and brake/throtle. Currently I'm using 13kg servos KO Propo for durability reason. I have overkill 24kg servos from Hitec 5955TG but those are reserved for MTX4

You also need nitro friends to help you break in and setting the engine.

Nitro cars are more satisfying to drive.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RD logics Mongoose is better than the G4 because of upgrades it has over the G4. Its a better overall car.

I myself, would get a used MTX3. You can find some great deals here in the classifieds. With the MTX3, you'll be able to keep up with ANY car out there right now.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:44 AM
Tech Regular

thanks for the replies!
i was looking for a good engine at a good price. why would i buy a second hand one? wouldnt someone be selling because it is no longer good or maybe they have wrecked it? how am i supposed to know how they have treated it?

my LHS isnt really a faactor, as i would order parts online. living in australia none of the hobby shops are any good. (my local hobbyshop hasnt even heard of yokomo or xray before!)
Old 09-07-2005, 03:46 AM
Tech Regular

oh! and what makes an engine faster, the horsepower or rpm?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Any of the top few cars are capable of doing the job in the right hands if they are set-up well.

V one RRR, MTX-3 Prospec, 710, Mongoose, etc.

As for an engine, anything Nova based depending on your budget. My personal choice would be the RB V12 Rody!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by myk505
thanks for the replies!
my LHS isnt really a faactor, as i would order parts online. living in australia none of the hobby shops are any good. (my local hobbyshop hasnt even heard of yokomo or xray before!)
Thats a scary thought.... is there a track nearby even?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Tech Regular

yeah, there is a track, but i have to travel about 30 mins...

so what are the pros/cons of the mongoose?

novarossi is a bit too expensive isnt it?
Old 09-08-2005, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What to buy

Personaly i would buy one of the top three ie Mugen (personal preferance and also the top 4 cars at our track), Kyosho and Serpent. I have the MTX-3- Prospec and found that straight out of the box it was quick and felt easy to drive for my driving style as i dont use a lot of brake. Alot of people dont like the way the car steers but i have found that if you go into the corner a little slower the exit speed is incredible. I just love this car.

As far as motors go yes Sirio are quite a good engine. I just purchased a Sirio Evo 3 and am just blown away by the performance of this engine. As you will see in my signiture i also have a JP and a RB. The Evo 3 and the JP i keep aside for title events. The RB is my club engine and does not lack any performance either as it keeps up with the 5 port novarossi's down the straight.

Cheers Daniel
Old 09-08-2005, 05:09 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for the replies!
i was looking for a good engine at a good price. why would i buy a second hand one? wouldnt someone be selling because it is no longer good or maybe they have wrecked it? how am i supposed to know how they have treated it?

Mugen parts are easily available on-line. Lots of stuff on Ebay as well. As far as used engines is concerned, be careful. Yes sometimes they are just plain worn out, and if you don't know much about an engine and you can't actually touch and see it (on-line) then don't trust it unless it's super cheap and there is nothing to lose. Often sponsored racers and racers with deep pockets like to run fresh mills most of the time. This means they off-load their old engines frequently. Those engines may not be very worn at all and are still excellent engines for club racing. If you know the person or they have a reputation or high ratings for this type of trading, then I would go for it. I know a few guys that sell their engines frequently, and their old stuff is better than some of the new stuff you would buy. Modded engines with little wear and very good care for less than a brand-new stocker is hard to pass up.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

yeah, there is a track, but i have to travel about 30 mins...

so what are the pros/cons of the mongoose?

novarossi is a bit too expensive isnt it?
DUDE... U LIVE IN AUSTRALIA AND U ONLY HAVE TO TRAVEL 30MINS TO YOUR TRACK!?!??!?

I Live in tiny winnie singapore, and I need to travel 40mins before i get to the nearest one...

man my life sucks.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

I live in Istanbul - Turkey and I gotta travel around 30 min. to the nearest on road track as well

Check this out. Is this a cool track or what!!!
http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php...Messina(I).htm

Man, my life sucks too :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.