Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which nitro car/engine???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The R40 is less that 300 new in box, HPI 12R XS is about 130.00, and the RDLogics is around 60.00. All $ are in US dollars.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisR40
The R40 is less that 300 new in box, HPI 12R XS is about 130.00, and the RDLogics is around 60.00. All $ are in US dollars.
what?? where u get these from???
Old 09-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

My LHS has a R40 for 275.00 and I paid 130.00 about a year and 1/2 ago for the 12r xs and you can find an RDLogics pipe on ebay for around 60.00 plus shipping.

The $ of the engine has probly gone up in the past year, not sure.

I have a used R40 that is in good working condition that I used as a parts car but everything is there. I have a brand new 12 XS with a brand new RDLogics outlaw II pipe I would like to sell. I do not have pic. at this time though. The engine and pipe are new in box.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

please i need to know. can someone tell me which engine i can get for the RDL mongoose and/or what type of shaft it needs? (does it matter?)

will all engine work with this R40 aswell?

thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 04:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i have a nice used mugen mtx 3 prospec with rex rers3 engine still has good life left with lots of spare parts. 450 with servos and engine.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Some input on choices:

Kyosho V-one-RRR
- drives very, very nice out of the box with the basic setting
- newest 1/10th
- Kyosho hopups are more expensive. Replacement parts are reasonable though
- It's Kyosho. Wait a year and the one you have now will be obsolete. Little or no support in English from Kyosho.

G4
- Parts tend to be expensive and hard to come by but this varies heavily depending on market
- There is a perceived bias against the car which I believe is due to it's Taiwanese origins. Ignore this. In the right hands, the G4 is a decent competition race car.
- Is there support for this car from Team Magic??

MTX-3
- Drives well out of the box and tends to be easier to setup. It's very stable.
- One of the oldest 1/10th on the market. Lots of hopups available
- Just started their English language forum this year. Quite a ways to go yet
- Some adjustments (like camber) are a PainInTheAss
- Mugen is bringing out the MTX-4. If Mugen is your choice, wait.

Serpent
- Very flexible in terms of setup. Know what you're doing and you can get a killer setup
- Too flexible in terms of setup. Don't know what you're doing and the car can be a real nightmare to setup
- Lots of option parts . . . mainly from Serpent
- The best English language support site on the web. Includes one of the best setup books I've ever seen in an RC kit
- Drives very stable out of the box but you'll need to fiddle to get a killer setup.

If the guys who win at your track drive any of these 4, consider choosing that car and asking for setup data. It can take a while before getting really good setup data so copying someone else at first can save you a lot of time.

The suggestion on LHS is good but keep in mind the Internet is also an excellent source of parts. Serpent seems to have the right idea in selling you a single pack of replacement plastic parts for front and rear although I'm not sure that would change my mind about what car to buy.

None of these cars will drive you to victory by themselves. You'll need lots of practise to do that. There is no magic car that works perfectly. They all have weakness. Your skill as a mechanic/driver will determine race results.

As for engines, the Nova-Mega is very reasonably priced and many initial problems have been fixed. On the other hand, the more expensive engines like JP and Max can give you an edge if you are already a good driver. Max is definitely an ultra fast engine but I have found it hard to get a really optimal tune out of it after a while. Brand new though, it's hard to beat in a one-on-one on a straight piece of track. Novarossi is also a good choice although I prefer the simpler carb of the JP engine. JP is definitely a good engine but very expensive. Take care of it and you can use it a long time with very good results.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

The R40 will take both SG shaft or threaded shaft. the kit includes the setup for both engines.

I agree with rob look at the local racers and try that first, it will be easier to get going and they will be able to help you.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:20 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asw7576
Okay, got some little photos for Senayan JITC
OMG! I can't believe how nice that track is.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jag
OMG! I can't believe how nice that track is.
Hello from Jakarta !!
thank you
thank you
thank you

don't forget : you get the full services
Old 09-14-2005, 03:58 AM
Tech Regular

local racers!!! so far there are none yet. the track is just about to start up (hopefully) and will be the ONLY nitro track in that area and around it, so hopefully it will attract lots of drivers. thats why i want to get started, but if the racing doesnt turn out that good may go to 4wd off road (electric).

kyosho seems to expensive, mongoose i think will be hard to find parts, serpent is looking pretty good and also R40.

with the starter box, does it matter which one i get?

thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by myk505
with the starter box, does it matter which one i get?

thanks
Hey, I love my Serpent 710 and my Kyosho MP7.5 but the best box I've every used by far is Mugen. The Serpent box is setup up so that if you press with excessive force (and you will when your in a hurry), you'll bend the chassis down a bit as the car presses down on the motor start switch. Not so with Mugen. You press the whole lid down keeping the chassis flat. Sure the Serpent box is a great fit for Serpent cars but the Mugen can be made to fit any car well.