Serpent 960....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 960....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

The 960'08 kit comes with OS1 set for serpent rims.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tires

Mugen and Kyosho use the same offset hence have compatible tires. Without OS2 you CANNOT use these with your Serpent 960. Serpent and SMP use the same offset so you use the same tires with both cars. As for Sheppard and Motonica, don't know what offset they use.

I heard there was an idea to come up with a universal wheel for all 1/8th on-road cars. I guess Mugen and Kyosho wouldn't play along. Frankly speaking it seems pretty stupid to have two different types of offsets for the same type of car. It no doubt drives up the price of tires since manufacturers are stuck making small numbers of very similar but slightly different tires. Why couldn't Mugen and Kyosho simply stick with Serpent's original offset spec? Was this an attempt to be unique in some way? Everything else was copied, why not the offsets?

Anyway, I'd say Serpent is doing the right thing and bringing out an OS2 conversion. Tires prices are a common complaint for 1/8th racers. By bringing out OS2 Serpent is in effect creating a 'universal' 1/8th tire. Be nice to see tire prices drop!

Rob
Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks going you answered my question, u the man
Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by going4#1
Mugen and Kyosho use the same offset hence have compatible tires. Without OS2 you CANNOT use these with your Serpent 960. Serpent and SMP use the same offset so you use the same tires with both cars. As for Sheppard and Motonica, don't know what offset they use.

I heard there was an idea to come up with a universal wheel for all 1/8th on-road cars. I guess Mugen and Kyosho wouldn't play along. Frankly speaking it seems pretty stupid to have two different types of offsets for the same type of car. It no doubt drives up the price of tires since manufacturers are stuck making small numbers of very similar but slightly different tires. Why couldn't Mugen and Kyosho simply stick with Serpent's original offset spec? Was this an attempt to be unique in some way? Everything else was copied, why not the offsets?

Anyway, I'd say Serpent is doing the right thing and bringing out an OS2 conversion. Tires prices are a common complaint for 1/8th racers. By bringing out OS2 Serpent is in effect creating a 'universal' 1/8th tire. Be nice to see tire prices drop!

Rob
Well I think I heard that the serpent guys at the worlds used OS2 so they must see some sort of perk with using them.

I think mugen's (or whoever came up with it first) logic behind their offset of their rear tyres was that if the rim attaches to the axle in the middle it would not make a weaker part of the rim. For example the serpent rims attach further to the outside making it more likely for the inside of the rim (towards the center of the car) to flex slightly.

I fitted to mugen tyres to my serpent a while ago, the front ones didn't fit but the rear ones did. It increased the track width by about 4mm though.

But anyway, I'm just speculating, and I have been wrong with these sorts of things in the past!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The Serpent team used the OS2 because of the light weight rim being used.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

The difference on the Chassis Plate is that, it now comes in the LCG form as well as the cut out for the front of the chassis has been increased due to the repositioning of the front swaybar to eliminate 2 parts to adjusting UP/DOWN-stop.

The rear uprights use the smaller bearings right off the bat, and the adapter used to allow the use of 12x18mm bearings on the previous rear upright are eliminated.

The offset used by a majority of the vehicles on the market are the same except for the Serpent, Power Racing/Edam Co/Pursuit R/C, and SMP. This is the offset best known as the Kyosho/Mugen offset. Although the original offset gave the car a smoother feel, many drivers feel that by changing the offset to the one used by the other manufacturers could be beneficial to our car.

By changing offset, you change both the suspension geometry on the car as well as the scrub radius. Thus allowing us to increase or decrease the response of the steering on the car.

In my opinion, i believe that the original offset of the car made it extremely smooth and easier to drive, but the OS2 change made it feel more reactive or sensitive to steering input. Which can be very very valuable to tracks located in the United states, since many of our tracks have technical in-fields versus the tracks located outside the US which contain more sweeping, long, wide turns.

Remember, use the offsets as a Tuning option for YOUR driving style. It may be beneficial for some, but not others.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
The difference on the Chassis Plate is that, it now comes in the LCG form as well as the cut out for the front of the chassis has been increased due to the repositioning of the front swaybar to eliminate 2 parts to adjusting UP/DOWN-stop.

The rear uprights use the smaller bearings right off the bat, and the adapter used to allow the use of 12x18mm bearings on the previous rear upright are eliminated.

The offset used by a majority of the vehicles on the market are the same except for the Serpent, Power Racing/Edam Co/Pursuit R/C, and SMP. This is the offset best known as the Kyosho/Mugen offset. Although the original offset gave the car a smoother feel, many drivers feel that by changing the offset to the one used by the other manufacturers could be beneficial to our car.

By changing offset, you change both the suspension geometry on the car as well as the scrub radius. Thus allowing us to increase or decrease the response of the steering on the car.

In my opinion, i believe that the original offset of the car made it extremely smooth and easier to drive, but the OS2 change made it feel more reactive or sensitive to steering input. Which can be very very valuable to tracks located in the United states, since many of our tracks have technical in-fields versus the tracks located outside the US which contain more sweeping, long, wide turns.

Remember, use the offsets as a Tuning option for YOUR driving style. It may be beneficial for some, but not others.

good point!!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets

well said options do not work for every body
Old 01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captian
well said options do not work for every body
I know I am going to go with the Mugen/Kyosho offset to gain some much needed off and on power steering!! My car was great at 301 last year but could benefit from the different offset for sure. I can't wait!!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

Default updated 960

Originally Posted by nitro ho
more info please!
My 960 updated with lipo
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 960....-1.jpg   Serpent 960....-2.jpg   Serpent 960....-3.jpg   Serpent 960....-4.jpg   Serpent 960....-5.jpg  

Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Looks good.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Default updated 960

Da shell
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 960....-11.jpg   Serpent 960....-14.jpg  
Old 01-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Racer Z
I know I am going to go with the Mugen/Kyosho offset to gain some much needed off and on power steering!! My car was great at 301 last year but could benefit from the different offset for sure. I can't wait!!
we will be talking soon
Old 01-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by madbeats
My 960 updated with lipo
really looking good
Old 01-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by madbeats
Da shell
What body ?
Look great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.