Serpent 960....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 960....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Initiate

The Mugen Grand Prix in April at the Las Vegas Silverbowl. I want to go but i might not be able to due to unforseen reasons. What you been up to Scotty?
No i don't think i will be able to make that race,
and yes i am allways board at work.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default searching for 950 & 950r parts

I know this isn't the correct location, but I hope one of you 960 owners still has some good 950 & 950r parts they're looking to sell and keep a fellow racer on the track.

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153191

It would be great to get a used, but not used up 950r roller.

Anyone?

thanks in advance-
Eric Schutt
Old 03-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Besides gluing the bearings in, has anyone found a solution to the excessive play in the bearing eccenters? I'd hate to plunk down more money on the aluminum versions if the problem hasn't been addressed.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SMcpot
Besides gluing the bearings in, has anyone found a solution to the excessive play in the bearing eccenters? I'd hate to plunk down more money on the aluminum versions if the problem hasn't been addressed.
Hi SMcpot, the reason because we use the allu eccenter is to have a little bit more tops speed. I run a lot with the plastic and i found no problem. I don't glue the bearings. Can you please describe where you have play? We are talking 960 rigth? One way or rear axle. Thanks

Paolo
Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paolo M
Hi SMcpot, the reason because we use the allu eccenter is to have a little bit more tops speed. I run a lot with the plastic and i found no problem. I don't glue the bearings. Can you please describe where you have play? We are talking 960 rigth? One way or rear axle. Thanks

Paolo
How do the alloy ecentrics increase top speed?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Greg M
How do the alloy ecentrics increase top speed?
With Aluminum Eccenters, the bearings stay more true and do not wobble where speed would be lost. By keeping the bearings true, and vibrations lessened the drivetrain can spin more freely. Although you may not feel the increased top speed, you can definitely see the results through a radar gun.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Tech Addict

Never thought of that. May have to get some then.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
With Aluminum Eccenters, the bearings stay more true and do not wobble where speed would be lost. By keeping the bearings true, and vibrations lessened the drivetrain can spin more freely. Although you may not feel the increased top speed, you can definitely see the results through a radar gun.
Does anybody have the part# for the aluminum eccenters?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Our Nationals are in a few weeks on the biggest track in the country, so every little bit helps. I have an RB Speedline Xenon R coming as well, should be fun.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Paolo M

Paolo
This is actually on a 950R, Paolo...figured I'd get more answers here since the 960 shares this part

The plastic on this particular car is all new, as are the bearings and eccenters (converted to the 51T solid axle, as well). The bearings just fall out of the eccenters, with the slop being especially noticeable up front; the belt, also new, is somewhat loose in the default eccentric position and doesn't really give me an option to tighten it further since I will definitely have to have it at its tightest setting already. Just wondering if this was "normal" and if the aluminum eccenters maybe fit the bearings better.

EDIT: I'm having this problem with both the front and rear eccenters.

Last edited by SMcpot; 03-13-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg M

Our Nationals are in a few weeks on the biggest track in the country, so every little bit helps. I have an RB Speedline Xenon R coming as well, should be fun.
Thanks Greg. Good looking out
Old 03-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Racer Z
Does anybody have the part# for the aluminum eccenters?
Eccenter bearing alu (2) (#903160)
Old 03-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

This is actually on a 950R, Paolo...figured I'd get more answers here since the 960 shares this part

The plastic on this particular car is all new, as are the bearings and eccenters (converted to the 51T solid axle, as well). The bearings just fall out of the eccenters, with the slop being especially noticeable up front; the belt, also new, is somewhat loose in the default eccentric position and doesn't really give me an option to tighten it further since I will definitely have to have it at its tightest setting already. Just wondering if this was "normal" and if the aluminum eccenters maybe fit the bearings better.

EDIT: I'm having this problem with both the front and rear eccenters.
I think the best option is to ship the parts to the office to see what's going on. To be honest i don't remember having this problem on the 950R (but it's a long time since i drove that car). I definetely can tell you that the plastics eccenters in the 960 are fine. I think you are already in contact with someone at the office. I am sure we will find a solution

Paolo
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Smile

Yup....I contacted Serpent and they told me to send them in. But I find it unlikely that two pair of these parts bought at separate times could be faulty without more people having the same problem, so I figure that this is just the way they are and I'll try to make them work. Besides, I really want to run the car and would rather not be without them for so long

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: I found that the 960 eccenters are not, in fact, the same as the 950R's....in case anyone else thought otherwise.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yup....I contacted Serpent and they told me to send them in. But I find it unlikely that two pair of these parts bought at separate times could be faulty without more people having the same problem, so I figure that this is just the way they are and I'll try to make them work. Besides, I really want to run the car and would rather not be without them for so long

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: I found that the 960 eccenters are not, in fact, the same as the 950R's....in case anyone else thought otherwise.
Well, my suggestion will be to take some teflon tape (plumbing) and wrap the outside of the bearing (use just enough to cover the outside bearing. This can help you to make the bearing fit tigth on the eccenter
Hope this can help and sorry for the inconvenience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.