Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Sike

btw, I am using the air filter that came with the car and it fits the .12 sirio perfectly, I am looking for a motor saver for it though but what size is this?

help is always greatly appreciated

TIA!
-Sike
>=]
For the motor saver you must get the .21 size.

Also, as a piggyback to stefan's post you can also use permatex sealent on your diff. It will be cheap at any auto parts store and works great.

The brake system is the only flaw on the car. I don't know why mugen didn't just use the mrx3 style linkage to get the arm clear of the spur and you will have to spend a LOT of time getting the drag gone. The thing that worked best for me was filing the stop on the brake plate like someone mentioned back at the start of this thread.

Has anyone tried the pen springs between the brake pads?
Old 04-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Tech Initiate

patelladragger, what do you mean filing the brake stop, the 2 pins you hammer through the chassis?

btw, the one I'm confused though is that there's a 15mm and 16mm for .21... don't know which one

I don't if anybody tried the fuel tubing between pads also
Old 04-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

no, the 2 pins you bend slightly to give the brakes more room to open. I'm talking about the plastic notch on the back of the brake bracket that the left brake pad rides against. I guess I just misused the term "stop" huh?
Old 04-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

i have the lightened brake discs from justrc and they did seem to be slightly thinner
Old 04-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

FYI I weighed the osaka 1st and second gear housings and they are no lighter than stock. Waste of money there. The square Ti mid shaft is a few grams lighter though - haven't got hold of the 2-speed shaft to weigh. The pulley adapters are maybe 3/4 gram lighter than stock.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Jason, didnt you try the springs between the brakes? how did that work?
Old 04-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Nytrochaos
Jason, didnt you try the springs between the brakes? how did that work?
I used the spring trick on my brakes. It seems to work. the trick is to get the springs the right size. If they are too long, they will put too much pressure causing more binding problems. Give it a shot, it worked great for me.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

hey guys... I see those vented brake disk. Are they thinner than stock? I think I saw it on justrc.com for around $4 a piece.

Also, a few pages back, I saw somebody with a brake disk with holes just about in every place where you can still drill it. Any info on that?

I took the car apart again coz the brake still drag a bit. I sanded the ninja star and brake disk and there's this tiny resistance. While I was at it, I took the rear diff apart coz it seems that there's no fliud, I was right... so I put some fliud and put silicon in between the housing... let it dry for 5 min and close it... when I have the car back together, I saw that thing leaking. Mannn I know I tighten everything up. So I just put silicon on the little... Well picture attached.

Btw, I am using the air filter that came with the car and it fits the .12 sirio perfectly, I am looking for a motor saver for it though but what size is this?
Is the disk you're talking about the ones that appear on this photo? If it's the case is real finely crafted and effective.

Regarding the small drag you're noticing I finished it installing the teflon brake pads and now I have a better braking and more progressive.

Get a new paper seal and apply to both sides a light coat of shoegoo or clear silicone, let dry completely and install, much probably your leaking problems are gone. BTW: Check for any present burr on the faces of the diff that prevents a good seal, mine took a good sweat making it leak-proof.
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-3-disksideview.jpg  
Old 04-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

i have not tried springs in between pads

i have a spring on the other side of the brake pull so that brake fully disengages

i have hollow 2 speed shaft feels much lighter than stock

i have first and second gear housings from kawahara not much difference from stock look to be same as osaka brand

the brake discs were a slight amount lighter almost unmeasurable on my scale

i have aluminum mid shaft and it was nearly 1/3 weight of original

i have the lightened pulley adapters and i thought i measured a substantial weight difference (something like 2 originals weigh the same as all 3 lightened ones)

but add it all up and take into account it is rotating mass it must make a difference no matter how big or small
Old 04-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Corse-R, yes, that's the one. How long did it took you to do that? does it make a noticable difference?

btw, what paper seal? I saw the optional teflon pad on speedtech. Is this part thinner but better on brakes?

I didn't see any leaks yet.... can't wait to test and see. see the silicon I have to put into this thing? (attached photo on previous page)
Old 04-01-2003, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Jason is right, they all add up.
The Osaka light weight housings should be lighter than stock. i will confirm it soon. I have a very accurate electronic balance myself. I have weighted almost every single one of the drivetrain options.

I saved around 24grams by using the following:
Team Osaka AL mid shaft
Square 2speed shaft
3racing light weight pulley adaptors (3)
3racing light weight brake disc (2)
3racing light weight housing (2)
3racing light weight flywheel

not counting AIP solid axle (lighter than diff internals but not sure how much)

24grams is around 20-25% of total drive weight

JustRC
Old 04-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: hard time starting my engine..

Originally posted by Corse-R
I use a team magic box, coupled with 12 Ni-Cd cells (find them more portable, powerful and less bulky than a 12v Gel Cell). My box starts not only Rodys, starts too the .21 engines that I use on my MRX3 without taking a sweat on it.

There are a few starterbox by Team Magic, you are refering to the one that is light grey in color?
Old 04-02-2003, 12:28 AM
Tech Elite

Corse-R, yes, that's the one. How long did it took you to do that? does it make a noticable difference?

btw, what paper seal? I saw the optional teflon pad on speedtech. Is this part thinner but better on brakes?
Isn't made by me, is made by an italian manufacturer (PM me if want more info about those). Is slightly lighter than the Kawa or the Mugen ones but looks good and performs better (in fact is designed to stop the MRX3 who is almost 1Kg heavier).

The teflon pads are different on the braking action (more docile and better feel). Used first time on the MTX3 (on the 1/8 scale I use the ferodo ones).
Old 04-02-2003, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: hard time starting my engine..

Originally posted by RClover
There are a few starterbox by Team Magic, you are refering to the one that is light grey in color?
Yep, that's the model (is capable of starting Off-road cars). Haven't tested the Alpha model (smaller one). But if your problem is the low power of the electric motors, then a quick swap for a pair of 550 size motors could be beneficial.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

I didn't see any leaks yet.... can't wait to test and see. see the silicon I have to put into this thing? (attached photo on previous page)
there should be a paper gasket! between the two halves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.