Search

Mugen MTX-4

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blanks596
to anyone out there:

I recently purchased an MTX-4 and I wanted opinions on the cars performance and quality, especially in relationship to the MTX-3 and Team Magic G4. Are there any quirks about the car which most owners have a problem with? If so, what are your solutions? Are there any option parts that are absolutely necessary to be competative?
Get front universals and aluminum hexes.

I'd suggest the one piece engine mount and the Aluminum RH brace. Also, you should consider in getting the hollow shafts and probably purchasing the internals to make your car front differential if you like to brake. Through out the car, I changed the easy removable shocks and removable ball links with full length screws (except in the steering links). For this reason, I never have to enter the pit area with a loose shock or a rear camber link loose. You should also consider in getting rear 4mm shock tower and a 4mm or 5mm (2 2.5mm stock) front shock tower. This is all you need to have a competitive and durable car...
Old 03-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blanks596
to anyone out there:

I recently purchased an MTX-4 and I wanted opinions on the cars performance and quality, especially in relationship to the MTX-3 and Team Magic G4. Are there any quirks about the car which most owners have a problem with? If so, what are your solutions? Are there any option parts that are absolutely necessary to be competative?

Well:

You asked what is absolutely necessary. I would say this. A thicker or doubled up rear shock tower is necessary. Next I would get a one-piece engine mount. All the other stuff will help the car in small ways, or make it lighter, easier to work on etc, but not "absolutely necessary". I would not get the engine brace.

What kind of diff you use in the front depends a lot on the track.

With regards to the other cars. I have not seen the new G4S car run, so I cannot comment. With regards to the Mongoose and the MTX3. I have limited experience with the Mongoose. I have a lot of experience with the MTX3. The MTX 4 is superior to both.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Now that I've gone over the the "dark" side and now I have a MTX-4 car...
I still have my first nitro car -Traxxas 4-tec under my work bench...

I have the Spectrum radio system and wondering if there is any issues I should be worried about..... Or any hints/tips about it..

THX in Advance...
Old 03-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer

I have the Spectrum radio system and wondering if there is any issues I should be worried about..... Or any hints/tips about it..

THX in Advance...
yeah.... you need to check yours. Early version of spectrum Tx & Rx have internal problem with antenna cable being to close to PCB board. There is touching possibility when you crash and the system need to be re-started. You need to re-route & secure the antenna wire.

Go to spectrum website and you see what I mean.

Congratulations on your MTX4 !!!
Old 03-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer

THX in Advance...
Your not on the dark side. The RRR is going to the dark side. You can come to the track with a white hat and a white body, your one of the good guys.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Mtx-4 side belts are the same w/ Mtx-3?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Joe Os
Mtx-4 side belts are the same w/ Mtx-3?

negative
Old 03-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lassis
negative
why?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

For the belts to be the same, the pulleys would have to be the same distance apart and the same sizes. I don't know if they the same distance apart, but they are not the same size. Since the MTX 4 uses a larger front pulley than the MTX 3, the pulleys would have to be a little closer together.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
For the belts to be the same, the pulleys would have to be the same distance apart and the same sizes. I don't know if they the same distance apart, but they are not the same size. Since the MTX 4 uses a larger front pulley than the MTX 3, the pulleys would have to be a little closer together.
Thank you
Old 03-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Rookie

do I need to shim the ball end at the bottom of the shock when i use the 4mm shoch tower from mugen? If so, what shims and thickness?

Anybody try 30,000 or 50,000 diff oil? which is better?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Rookie

do I need to shim the ball end at the bottom of the shock when i use the 4mm shock tower from mugen? If so, what shims and thickness?

Anybody try 30,000 or 50,000 diff oil? which is works better?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I dont know about the shim. Scott should be able to answer that, he was running the thicker shock tower.

For the rear diff fluid, for a higher traction track, I usually run 30,000 but have run up to 50,000 at Revelation Raceway. If you are having a tight condition, it is one way to free up the rear end. At Crystal Park, there is a little less traction. I may have been able to get away with the 30,000 but I ended up running 10,000. It worked out pretty well for me.

You can just use this in your toolbox of setup tips. If you make the rear diff tighter, it is going to take away traction from that end and usually transfer it to the other end of the car.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

crystal park in my opinion is a better track compared to revelation. the traction is just too unpredictable at revelation whereas CP is more consistent.

30,000 is a good starting point but generally speaking if your car pushes try a bit heavier oil like 50,000, if you need more traction at the rear or if your car feels twitchy then go with 10,000.

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
For the rear diff fluid, for a higher traction track, I usually run 30,000 but have run up to 50,000 at Revelation Raceway. If you are having a tight condition, it is one way to free up the rear end. At Crystal Park, there is a little less traction. I may have been able to get away with the 30,000 but I ended up running 10,000. It worked out pretty well for me.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

crystal park in my opinion is a better track compared to revelation. the traction is just too unpredictable at revelation whereas CP is more consistent.

30,000 is a good starting point but generally speaking if your car pushes try a bit heavier oil like 50,000, if you need more traction at the rear or if your car feels twitchy then go with 10,000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.