Community
Wiki Posts
Search

on road nitro a dying breed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fdjizm
The learning curve in nitro has alot to do with it, alot of people today (or kids) don't want to learn how to tune a car or deal with maintenance, they want to pile on batteries and go fast, set it and forget it etc...

I'm a nitro guy always will be, electric is just to easy and I'm a tinkerer I have to have something to customize, tune, modify, hear, smell, see. all that good stuff.

Even though they are both toys, nitro just seems more of a "big boy" toy than electric.
+1
Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 PM
afm
Tech Master

+2
Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by afm
+2
Papo,

I hope to see you next week!!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rinolino
Papo,

I hope to see you next week!!
Good to have you home Rino...have a safe trip...

Papo
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fdjizm
The learning curve in nitro has alot to do with it, alot of people today (or kids) don't want to learn how to tune a car or deal with maintenance, they want to pile on batteries and go fast, set it and forget it etc...

I'm a nitro guy always will be, electric is just to easy and I'm a tinkerer I have to have something to customize, tune, modify, hear, smell, see. all that good stuff.

Even though they are both toys, nitro just seems more of a "big boy" toy than electric.

I couldnt agree with you more and by the look of the last couple posts i am not the only one who feels this way! I enjoy working on my nitro car as much as i enjoy racing it! I was never a nintendo/sega type kid though, more hot wheels and model cars.

I am really starting to enjoy traveling to out of town tracks for long weekends that seems to be where i learn some of the best set up tips and get some great advice! Byrons was great i am mailing my GLC entry tomorrow cant wait...

So the final question is gonna have to be is nitro really dying? Or has the desire to succeed by any means been washed away???
Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by automagic302
I couldnt agree with you more and by the look of the last couple posts i am not the only one who feels this way! I enjoy working on my nitro car as much as i enjoy racing it! I was never a nintendo/sega type kid though, more hot wheels and model cars.

I am really starting to enjoy traveling to out of town tracks for long weekends that seems to be where i learn some of the best set up tips and get some great advice! Byrons was great i am mailing my GLC entry tomorrow cant wait...

So the final question is gonna have to be is nitro really dying? Or has the desire to succeed by any means been washed away???
I think EP racing has improved a lot more and the power output of brushless systems, battery reliability, ESC config options has thrust the EP cars a long way ahead of where they were.

I think Nitro is still and always will be for the pyromaniacs at heart and there are a LOT of us!! It's gotta make lots of NOISE and SMOKE to enjoy!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
I think EP racing has improved a lot more and the power output of brushless systems, battery reliability, ESC config options has thrust the EP cars a long way ahead of where they were.

I think Nitro is still and always will be for the pyromaniacs at heart and there are a LOT of us!! It's gotta make lots of NOISE and SMOKE to enjoy!
This will also be the reason for the resurgence in Nitro eventually, I mean what the heck is going on with Modified Electric Touring Cars doing 71mph down the back straight of my local track? that is just absolute insanity.. People will always go mental for speed, but I think as "stock" gets faster more people will realise Nitro is more controllable, realistic.

The PRO-10 Electric on-road class died because of it's stupidly high corner speeds and also it's tendency to flip over because of it's lightweight and high speeds.

Silly speeds will detract from the hobby in general eventually.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
This will also be the reason for the resurgence in Nitro eventually, I mean what the heck is going on with Modified Electric Touring Cars doing 71mph down the back straight of my local track? that is just absolute insanity.. People will always go mental for speed, but I think as "stock" gets faster more people will realise Nitro is more controllable, realistic.

The PRO-10 Electric on-road class died because of it's stupidly high corner speeds and also it's tendency to flip over because of it's lightweight and high speeds.

Silly speeds will detract from the hobby in general eventually.
With the battery capacities that are available nowadays, electric classes should be running 15 minutes instead of the stupid 5 minutes.

That would get the speeds to a manageable level for the average racer and the fun would increase.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am just getting started in rc cars and the issue I see with nitro in Victoria Australia is the cost and lack of support from local councils. Local councils don't want to support nitro due to he noise which translate to lack of tracks to race.

Then there's the cost. As an ex engineering student, I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into producing the cars but in these tough times, it is very difficult to justify spending so much money on non necessities. Manufacturers, distributors and retailers need to reduce cost to lure kids and make it afordable for parents to buy. They need to help lure kids away from cheap toys coming from china.

When I look at the amount of money I spent to get started (approx $2k) + cost of buying parts when they break and tyres and fuel, parents won't spend that kind of money when they have to buy food, pay school fees etc.

Until these things, especially cost changes, nitro if not rc will suffer. This is also true for rc airplane clubs. They are also struggling to get members especially kids to join and keep the clubs going.

This is a real shame because I have found rc cars to be very satisfying in that it teaches mechanics and how things work together as well as being a good social activity. What could be better than a group of people with similar interest getting together, having a race and talking about their interests.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by stefan
With the battery capacities that are available nowadays, electric classes should be running 15 minutes instead of the stupid 5 minutes.

That would get the speeds to a manageable level for the average racer and the fun would increase.
And most important of all, no smoke signals from ESC and motor.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
And most important of all, no smoke signals from ESC and motor.
Haha i always enjoyed the electric smoke signal of "you're £200 down, thanks for racing" from electrics.. Atleast I can see the smoke trail from nitro to see it's not cooking.