R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Foam Tire Prices

Why are thes prices goin through the roof. I mean if I want a premium tire like Capricorn or tabata or contact or zac. Etc. The price is like 28 to 34 bucks. Privateer price. Insane. Motors too. Do they need to be 700 plus. Ridiculous. Manufacturers are killing the sport. Just my opinion.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER View Post
Why are thes prices goin through the roof. I mean if I want a premium tire like Capricorn or tabata or contact or zac. Etc. The price is like 28 to 34 bucks. Privateer price. Insane. Motors too. Do they need to be 700 plus. Ridiculous. Manufacturers are killing the sport. Just my opinion.
Look around before bagging the manufacturers, I'm not seeing the prices your complaining about where I shop...
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
I think this is mostly due to the weak Dollar.

Tire prices actually went down quite a bit over here last year, at least for sedan foams.

The engine prices are that high, because we are willing to pay.
I get really angry when I compare the prices of on road engines to off road engines.

There's simply no difference in technology between the two that would justify the price differences.

They come off the same CNC machines and are made of the same materials.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I think this is mostly due to the weak Dollar.

Tire prices actually went down quite a bit over here last year, at least for sedan foams.

The engine prices are that high, because we are willing to pay.
I get really angry when I compare the prices of on road engines to off road engines.

There's simply no difference in technology between the two that would justify the price differences.

They come off the same CNC machines and are made of the same materials.
The only difference between onroad and offroad engines. The manufactures put alot more RD into onroad engines trying to get every bit of performance out of the engine. We ask alot more performance out of an onroad engine when you consider run time, torque and speed. The manufacturers are just trying to re-coupe there engineering time.

But I agree; the cost of onroad engines is ridiculous. That is one of the main reasons I will not switch to 1/8 onroad. IMO...

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Quote:
You dont remember the days when a set of SEDAN tires were $30? These days sedan tires can be had for less than $20. I wasnt racing 1/8th back then, but there was a time when tires were about $50 a set. The tires you talk about are a bit more expensive because there has been advances in materials, the new tires with carbon in the plastic are going to cost more simply because a material(carbon) has to be added.

I actually think its less expensive to race now, than it was 3 years ago.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

As most of tires and engines are coming from/made in Europe and Asia. Dont expect prices to go down any time soon.

Pretty soon the dollar will be worth as much the peso!

Just check out 5 year trend of euro and yen versus dollar. Dont need a degree in economics to see that rc racing is going to continue to get more expensive.

http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp...:USDEUR&ntsp=0

Onroad vs Offroad prices has more to do with volume and what market will tolerate.

Good luck selling a 700$ offroad engine but I bet you could sell a 2000$ onroad engine.
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

+1 I see the same thing. Also don't forget offroad buggy tires are NOT cheap, a set of good tires will run you 50$ easy and are good for 1 to 2 weekends from what I understand.

We demand performance, that costs money to engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez View Post
As most of tires and engines are coming from/made in Europe and Asia. Dont expect prices to go down any time soon.

Pretty soon the dollar will be worth as much the peso!

Just check out 5 year trend of euro and yen versus dollar. Dont need a degree in economics to see that rc racing is going to continue to get more expensive.

http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp...:USDEUR&ntsp=0

Onroad vs Offroad prices has more to do with volume and what market will tolerate.

Good luck selling a 700$ offroad engine but I bet you could sell a 2000$ onroad engine.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

I agree with Jamie.

Also, I wouldn't pay much attention to the what some guys post. They really have no idea what they are talking about!!! Tires are cheaper now than 5 years ago.

The dollar is weak and will get weaker if Obama does not change they way he thinks. RC, like everything else will cost more in the future.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I agree with Jamie.

Also, I wouldn't pay much attention to the what some guys post. They really have no idea what they are talking about!!! Tires are cheaper now than 5 years ago.

The dollar is weak and will get weaker if Obama does not change they way he thinks. RC, like everything else will cost more in the future.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
The only difference between onroad and offroad engines. The manufactures put alot more RD into onroad engines trying to get every bit of performance out of the engine. We ask alot more performance out of an onroad engine when you consider run time, torque and speed. The manufacturers are just trying to re-coupe there engineering time.

But I agree; the cost of onroad engines is ridiculous. That is one of the main reasons I will not switch to 1/8 onroad. IMO...

Pass you soon...
dont know bout u, but i dont see any r&d todays motors are not any faster then the jp's and carlsens of years ago and i only see run time getting worse, i think todays clutches made these motors faster if they got faster and the banging clutches also kill the run time so they didnt spend on r&d, i agree no diff with the offroad motor, im running a tero nero team edition mod for onroad and its whooping ass all over!!!
Byron Fuel, Veytrex Desgin Labs
2014 R.O.A.R. REGION 1 CHAMPION!!
ralphierace13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I agree with Jamie.

pooh u probaly dont spend much on tires judging on your lap times of late, dont think u go fast enuff to were a set out!! lol
Byron Fuel, Veytrex Desgin Labs
2014 R.O.A.R. REGION 1 CHAMPION!!
ralphierace13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphierace13 View Post
pooh u probaly dont spend much on tires judging on your lap times of late, dont think u go fast enuff to were a set out!! lol
Okay.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Last season. Grp was 2 to 3 bucks cheaper. As were jaco / exceed. All the new tires with the hybrid carbon rim are great but not cheap. When you run every weekend. Not bashing. And not starting a rally against anyone. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Last season. Grp was 2 to 3 bucks cheaper. As were jaco / exceed. All the new tires with the hybrid carbon rim are great but not cheap. When you run every weekend. Not bashing. And not starting a rally against anyone. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed.
Hey Jack,

It could be where you are shopping. Tires are cheaper if you shop around for better prices you WILL find cheaper tires. Most GOOD hobby stores have tires and good prices. Hope this helps!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Tech Elite