R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Foam Tire Prices

Why are thes prices goin through the roof. I mean if I want a premium tire like Capricorn or tabata or contact or zac. Etc. The price is like 28 to 34 bucks. Privateer price. Insane. Motors too. Do they need to be 700 plus. Ridiculous. Manufacturers are killing the sport. Just my opinion.
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER View Post
Why are thes prices goin through the roof. I mean if I want a premium tire like Capricorn or tabata or contact or zac. Etc. The price is like 28 to 34 bucks. Privateer price. Insane. Motors too. Do they need to be 700 plus. Ridiculous. Manufacturers are killing the sport. Just my opinion.
Look around before bagging the manufacturers, I'm not seeing the prices your complaining about where I shop...
__________________
QRCCRA
www.qrccra.org.au
www.facebook.com/englandparkraceway
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER View Post
Why are thes prices goin through the roof. I mean if I want a premium tire like Capricorn or tabata or contact or zac. Etc. The price is like 28 to 34 bucks. Privateer price. Insane. Motors too. Do they need to be 700 plus. Ridiculous. Manufacturers are killing the sport. Just my opinion.
I think this is mostly due to the weak Dollar.

Tire prices actually went down quite a bit over here last year, at least for sedan foams.

The engine prices are that high, because we are willing to pay.
I get really angry when I compare the prices of on road engines to off road engines.

There's simply no difference in technology between the two that would justify the price differences.

They come off the same CNC machines and are made of the same materials.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,963
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I think this is mostly due to the weak Dollar.

Tire prices actually went down quite a bit over here last year, at least for sedan foams.

The engine prices are that high, because we are willing to pay.
I get really angry when I compare the prices of on road engines to off road engines.

There's simply no difference in technology between the two that would justify the price differences.

They come off the same CNC machines and are made of the same materials.
The only difference between onroad and offroad engines. The manufactures put alot more RD into onroad engines trying to get every bit of performance out of the engine. We ask alot more performance out of an onroad engine when you consider run time, torque and speed. The manufacturers are just trying to re-coupe there engineering time.

But I agree; the cost of onroad engines is ridiculous. That is one of the main reasons I will not switch to 1/8 onroad. IMO...


Pass you soon...
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER View Post
Why are thes prices goin through the roof. I mean if I want a premium tire like Capricorn or tabata or contact or zac. Etc. The price is like 28 to 34 bucks. Privateer price. Insane. Motors too. Do they need to be 700 plus. Ridiculous. Manufacturers are killing the sport. Just my opinion.
You dont remember the days when a set of SEDAN tires were $30? These days sedan tires can be had for less than $20. I wasnt racing 1/8th back then, but there was a time when tires were about $50 a set. The tires you talk about are a bit more expensive because there has been advances in materials, the new tires with carbon in the plastic are going to cost more simply because a material(carbon) has to be added.

I actually think its less expensive to race now, than it was 3 years ago.
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
J.Gonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: connecticut
Posts: 2,409
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

As most of tires and engines are coming from/made in Europe and Asia. Dont expect prices to go down any time soon.

Pretty soon the dollar will be worth as much the peso!

Just check out 5 year trend of euro and yen versus dollar. Dont need a degree in economics to see that rc racing is going to continue to get more expensive.

http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp...:USDEUR&ntsp=0

Onroad vs Offroad prices has more to do with volume and what market will tolerate.

Good luck selling a 700$ offroad engine but I bet you could sell a 2000$ onroad engine.
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
YmeBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,927
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

+1 I see the same thing. Also don't forget offroad buggy tires are NOT cheap, a set of good tires will run you 50$ easy and are good for 1 to 2 weekends from what I understand.

We demand performance, that costs money to engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez View Post
As most of tires and engines are coming from/made in Europe and Asia. Dont expect prices to go down any time soon.

Pretty soon the dollar will be worth as much the peso!

Just check out 5 year trend of euro and yen versus dollar. Dont need a degree in economics to see that rc racing is going to continue to get more expensive.

http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp...:USDEUR&ntsp=0

Onroad vs Offroad prices has more to do with volume and what market will tolerate.

Good luck selling a 700$ offroad engine but I bet you could sell a 2000$ onroad engine.
__________________
www.skyrocketracing.com quality RC gear!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/555071-2011-skyrocket-invitational-blue-diamond-raceway-october-15-16-a.html <- Great race!
YmeBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
Pooh2's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere here on Earth
Posts: 2,518
Send a message via MSN to Pooh2
Default

I agree with Jamie.

Also, I wouldn't pay much attention to the what some guys post. They really have no idea what they are talking about!!! Tires are cheaper now than 5 years ago.

The dollar is weak and will get weaker if Obama does not change they way he thinks. RC, like everything else will cost more in the future.
__________________
MUGEN MRX5/CONTACT TIRES/DESOTO RACING/TEAM LOGIC


"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I agree with Jamie.

Also, I wouldn't pay much attention to the what some guys post. They really have no idea what they are talking about!!! Tires are cheaper now than 5 years ago.

The dollar is weak and will get weaker if Obama does not change they way he thinks. RC, like everything else will cost more in the future.
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
ralphierace13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,158
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
The only difference between onroad and offroad engines. The manufactures put alot more RD into onroad engines trying to get every bit of performance out of the engine. We ask alot more performance out of an onroad engine when you consider run time, torque and speed. The manufacturers are just trying to re-coupe there engineering time.

But I agree; the cost of onroad engines is ridiculous. That is one of the main reasons I will not switch to 1/8 onroad. IMO...


Pass you soon...
dont know bout u, but i dont see any r&d todays motors are not any faster then the jp's and carlsens of years ago and i only see run time getting worse, i think todays clutches made these motors faster if they got faster and the banging clutches also kill the run time so they didnt spend on r&d, i agree no diff with the offroad motor, im running a tero nero team edition mod for onroad and its whooping ass all over!!!
__________________
RALPH FORTUNATO
MUGEN SEIKI MRX6 TEAM DRIVER
Futaba 4PK-S-R, Novarossi Team Driver, CONTACT TIRES
Byron Fuel, Veytrex Desgin Labs
2014 R.O.A.R. REGION 1 CHAMPION!!
ralphierace13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
ralphierace13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,158
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I agree with Jamie.

Also, I wouldn't pay much attention to the what some guys post. They really have no idea what they are talking about!!! Tires are cheaper now than 5 years ago.

The dollar is weak and will get weaker if Obama does not change they way he thinks. RC, like everything else will cost more in the future.
pooh u probaly dont spend much on tires judging on your lap times of late, dont think u go fast enuff to were a set out!! lol
__________________
RALPH FORTUNATO
MUGEN SEIKI MRX6 TEAM DRIVER
Futaba 4PK-S-R, Novarossi Team Driver, CONTACT TIRES
Byron Fuel, Veytrex Desgin Labs
2014 R.O.A.R. REGION 1 CHAMPION!!
ralphierace13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Pooh2's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere here on Earth
Posts: 2,518
Send a message via MSN to Pooh2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphierace13 View Post
pooh u probaly dont spend much on tires judging on your lap times of late, dont think u go fast enuff to were a set out!! lol
Okay.
__________________
MUGEN MRX5/CONTACT TIRES/DESOTO RACING/TEAM LOGIC


"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Last season. Grp was 2 to 3 bucks cheaper. As were jaco / exceed. All the new tires with the hybrid carbon rim are great but not cheap. When you run every weekend. Not bashing. And not starting a rally against anyone. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed.
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Pooh2's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere here on Earth
Posts: 2,518
Send a message via MSN to Pooh2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER View Post
Last season. Grp was 2 to 3 bucks cheaper. As were jaco / exceed. All the new tires with the hybrid carbon rim are great but not cheap. When you run every weekend. Not bashing. And not starting a rally against anyone. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed.
Hey Jack,

It could be where you are shopping. Tires are cheaper if you shop around for better prices you WILL find cheaper tires. Most GOOD hobby stores have tires and good prices. Hope this helps!
__________________
MUGEN MRX5/CONTACT TIRES/DESOTO RACING/TEAM LOGIC


"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Last season. Grp was 2 to 3 bucks cheaper. As were jaco / exceed. All the new tires with the hybrid carbon rim are great but not cheap. When you run every weekend. Not bashing. And not starting a rally against anyone. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed.
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Foam Tire (Gecko Tires) Bertetto Electric On-Road 58 02-09-2010 09:58 PM
foam tire prices, is this rape? seaball Electric On-Road 204 09-30-2009 12:43 PM
rubber tire prices? mickrcarver Electric On-Road 42 06-12-2009 06:33 PM
Breaking News !! Foam Tire Container !! Photos !! JABRONI Nitro On-Road 14 11-14-2005 09:08 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:53 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net