R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
Hey Jack,

It could be where you are shopping. Tires are cheaper if you shop around for better prices you WILL find cheaper tires. Most GOOD hobby stores have tires and good prices. Hope this helps!
Pooh. Your absolutely right. Great showing for novarossi / shepherd/ desoto at the worlds. You did those companies well !! One of your home tracks and layed it down !!! Great bump from the 256 to the 128. Keep it up. Phil
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #17
Tech Elite
 
Pooh2's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere here on Earth
Posts: 2,518
Send a message via MSN to Pooh2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER View Post
Pooh. Your absolutely right. Great showing for novarossi / shepherd/ desoto at the worlds. You did those companies well !! One of your home tracks and layed it down !!! Great bump from the 256 to the 128. Keep it up. Phil
Thanks Phil,

Bumping from the 128 to the 64th was fun!!! I'm glad I was able to afford to go to the worlds. I know there were a lot guys who couldn't afford with the cost of tires and engines being so high.

Also, Good showing of you guys at Mugen North East at the worlds as well, I mean pre worlds.
__________________
MUGEN MRX5/CONTACT TIRES/DESOTO RACING/TEAM LOGIC


"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?

Last edited by Pooh2; 04-19-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 293
Default

You must remember that "cheap" tires going by the initial retail price are not always the cheapest tires in cost. Lower cost tires will have plastic rims that may not stay round through the complete wear of the foam especially during summer months. Their rims can break easily and the foam rubber can chunk easily. Lastly these so called cheap tires generally don't have a long wear wear time.

Of course I am partial to GQ tires because they are and have been the best quality tire on the market for the past 20 years. (Years not months..lol) Our plastic won't go out of round, you will have one hell of a time breaking them and most important our foam rubber will last longer than the cheap tires.

If you get 3 heats or more out of good tires and two heats (or less) out of cheap tires, were the cheap tires a good deal? If the tire chunks and you still have foam left on the tire, was the cheap tire a good deal? If you rim cracks on a glancing hit on the boards first time out on the tires, was the cheap tires a good deal?

There are a lot of tires to choose from in the RC Market. Just like everything else in this world, there is always cheaper! But cheaper may not be cheaper! Ask other racers at the track what they are using. Watch and see who is cracking rims or always needing another set of tires and not getting long wear. Find the better tire to use. The better tire may cost a few dollars more initially, however that tire will be cheaper in the end!!!!
TM America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
Tech Master
 
garen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: GLENDALE
Posts: 1,730
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Regarding the original poster's comment about engine prices, while there are some engines which are in the 700+ range, or even in the $500+ range and rising each year, there are also some very good engines in the $400 and under range.
__________________
bpengines-usa.com fioroni-usa.com motonica-usa.com

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
Tech Master
 
rcmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: plano,tx
Posts: 1,706
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default tires for 1/8

The price is tires is kinda high but you gotta look at the Fun it is to drive one of these cars.The prices for tires have really been high ever since for the person buying from a hobby shop.I really have not seen a change in prices in the last nine years. Tires for sedan are really cheap,but they are not driving a 1/8. I knew getting into 1/8 that the tires cost is a factor considering really one set only last about 25 min of hard racing in a main. The price of motors has always been high,that is why 1/8 on road is the F-1 of r/c. A lot of my friends would like to drive 1/8 but simple cant afford to do it .At the end of a w/e of racing weather it was good or bad i just smile and say thats the price it costs to race the best class of racing for all of r/c. I race this class about 8 or 9 times a year. If some companys could come up with an alternative to what we are using now they would make Millions""
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #21
Tech Elite
 
quietstorm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I agree that the price of on road engines is ridiculous I also agree that the reason for it is that so many are willing to pay for it. Money spent on R&D can't be that much of they're budget. Every time there's a new on road crank, it's funny how the new off road crank looks very similar but without all the fancy cuts. New on road = $600+...........New Off road = $289.00-$349.00. Doesn't seem right, but as long as we keep buying them the prices will stay the same.
__________________
Team Shepherd USA:Nugget's Ranch Raceway
Primary Weapon: ?
Secondary Weapon: ?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice
 
Team Chump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 96
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Guys, some of you may have been around 1/8 onroad in the early nineties so you would remember how expensive tires and engines were back then (at least in Australia), not to mention the price of the car kit!!!
Now coming back to rc 17 years later i have really been surprised that the majority of items are actually quite a bit cheaper now than back then. Not too many things in this world get less expensive over nearly 20 years!
__________________
Walter R/C
Serpent
Reds Racing
Podified Race Fuel
Team Chump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #23
Tech Elite
 
J.Gonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: connecticut
Posts: 2,409
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

The market for any goods or service will dictates price...it is really that simple.
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #24
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
I agree that the price of on road engines is ridiculous I also agree that the reason for it is that so many are willing to pay for it. Money spent on R&D can't be that much of they're budget. Every time there's a new on road crank, it's funny how the new off road crank looks very similar but without all the fancy cuts. New on road = $600+...........New Off road = $289.00-$349.00. Doesn't seem right, but as long as we keep buying them the prices will stay the same.
This was pretty much my point. On the motor side.
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #25
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
Regarding the original poster's comment about engine prices, while there are some engines which are in the 700+ range, or even in the $500+ range and rising each year, there are also some very good engines in the $400 and under range.
Agree. I ran a stock kangaroo last season at my local track and did fine. I'm runnin a xl7 this season locally which is plenty fast as well.
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #26
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Chump View Post
Guys, some of you may have been around 1/8 onroad in the early nineties so you would remember how expensive tires and engines were back then (at least in Australia), not to mention the price of the car kit!!!
Now coming back to rc 17 years later i have really been surprised that the majority of items are actually quite a bit cheaper now than back then. Not too many things in this world get less expensive over nearly 20 years!
Was only referring to this year compared to last year.
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #27
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM America View Post
You must remember that "cheap"

Of course I am partial to GQ tires because they are and have been the best quality tire on the market for the past 20 years. (Years not months..lol) Our plastic won't go out of round, you will have one hell of a time breaking them and most important our foam rubber will last longer than the cheap tires.

Ask other racers at the track what they are using. Watch and see who is cracking rims or always needing another set of tires and not getting long wear. Find the better tire to use. The better tire may cost a few dollars more initially, however that tire will be cheaper in the end!!!!
a perfect example is grp. These were like 22-23 a set last season. Now 25-27.

Even online they are misc brands 14-15 fronts. And 17-up for rears.

Never said I couldn't afford or didn't know what I wanted to use. Just commenting on the increase in price. All brands. Grp. Kyosho. Ennetti. Contact. Zac. Etc
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #28
Tech Master
 
Drew Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The LOU
Posts: 1,935
Default

On the tires you guys have to look at the Euro. Right now it is pretty high, I think around 1.45. So that really effects the end price of tires for American's. Most of the company's bring in tires have to pay in euro's

I can tell you at RCAmerica we bring in the SRC line of tires, which are made by Ennetti and we cut it close on the profit margin, just so we can keep the cost down to the racer. So needless to say we don't make a whole lot of money on the tires.

I also know the price of foam from Japan has went up in the last 2 years. I think somewhere to the tune of 2 years ago you can get a container for around 50,000 and now that same container cost 80,000 to 85,000. I think this and the euro is why you see the price they way the are.

Thanks Drew
__________________
RCAMERICA-Xray-Hudy-GravityRC-Kopropo-PROLEVELRC-Team EAM-ORCA-P1Brand-AVID-ProlevelRC Raceway-MOTIV-Max Power America-SRC America
Drew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #29
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ellis View Post
On the tires you guys have to look at the Euro. Right now it is pretty high, I think around 1.45. So that really effects the end price of tires for American's. Most of the company's bring in tires have to pay in euro's

I can tell you at RCAmerica we bring in the SRC line of tires, which are made by Ennetti and we cut it close on the profit margin, just so we can keep the cost down to the racer. So needless to say we don't make a whole lot of money on the tires.

I also know the price of foam from Japan has went up in the last 2 years. I think somewhere to the tune of 2 years ago you can get a container for around 50,000
Thanks Drew
thanks drew makes sense. Nice job at the worlds. With the new car Ralh was looking awesome before the mishap. See you in Chaplin.
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #30
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 209
Default

Tyres are the least of our worries.................Novarossi is having everyones pants down in 2011.......
JIM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Foam Tire (Gecko Tires) Bertetto Electric On-Road 58 02-09-2010 09:58 PM
foam tire prices, is this rape? seaball Electric On-Road 204 09-30-2009 12:43 PM
rubber tire prices? mickrcarver Electric On-Road 42 06-12-2009 06:33 PM
Breaking News !! Foam Tire Container !! Photos !! JABRONI Nitro On-Road 14 11-14-2005 09:08 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:29 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net