Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RDLogics Mongoose 2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DHooter
so i picked up some rechargeable AAA batteries and made my own pack, i think its going to be a temporary pack until i can find a LiFe pack that will fit..... my new problem is my first gear pinion keeps working itself loose even while using locktite.... i put more on and tightened it as much as i could and i will try again 2moro but if it comes off again that will make it my 5th try failed... any advice?
Odd that, as its not a reverse thread and your engine should be tightening under load...is your clutch setup correctly?

(I might be wrong.. I hope I am)
Old 03-31-2011, 02:02 AM
Tech Adept

what type and brand of loctite are you using

try this take it apart and give it a good clean get all the dirt old loctite grees of it use a motor cleaner arfter you cleaned it let it dry good like at least for one hour.

then try a good loctite put a little on both of the clutch bell and pinion,let it dry over night the pull it apart and put a little amount on there put it together and let it dry over night then see how that goes
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

thanks for the suggestions, the clutch bell is unfortunetly not a reverse thread. what i did do is use locktite brand blue locktite, and let it sit over night, i ran 3 tanks today with no problems..... i guess it was just one of those things lol
Old 03-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Initiate

With threads in standard direction the gear sould get tighter maybe when you let off somthing unscrewing the gear . Although your clutch could still be engaged for a moment after letting off. Your 1st gear has oneway so even with clutch engaged & throttle off the one way should allow free coasting. Now when in second gear the clutch & 2speed are both ingaged & decelarating car when off throttle cuasing force to unscrew 2nd pinion gear but first gear is the problem so check oneway on spure gear if it happens again, as I seen you have got problem worked out. hope this helps
Old 04-01-2011, 03:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

thanks for the suggestions, the clutch bell is unfortunetly not a reverse thread. what i did do is use locktite brand blue locktite, and let it sit over night, i ran 3 tanks today with no problems..... i guess it was just one of those things lol
DHooter:

Hope you get it sorted soon... I hope to run my Mongoose for the first time tomorrow afternoon weather pending!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Tech Master

it seems to be working pretty well now. i believe the gear problem was a combination of not having locktite on it and i found my clutch binding a little. but all thats worked out and im just waiting until sunday for the first race of the season.

good luck with yours 2moro
Old 04-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

it seems to be working pretty well now. i believe the gear problem was a combination of not having locktite on it and i found my clutch binding a little. but all thats worked out and im just waiting until sunday for the first race of the season.

good luck with yours 2moro

Hope you do better then me, for some strange reason the screw on the clutchbell unwound and destroyed second gear. Did I do something wrong?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Tech Master

i put a healthy drop of locktite on that screw... i had a 1/8 buggy do the same and destroyed the clutch bell and the steel spur gear and $75 later i made sure that it had locktite.

hope you have better luck with it.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Hope you do better then me, for some strange reason the screw on the clutchbell unwound and destroyed second gear. Did I do something wrong?
did u have to shim the thrust bearing retainer? if that shim slips and wears...
Old 04-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Tech Elite

Blis: I had shims on the thrust bearing retainer, i had clutch gap set to .8mm and end play set at .1mm

Just destroyed my LE Clutch in three laps
Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear

Just destroyed my LE Clutch in three laps
I dare to say, your gap was a little large, the shim perhaps destroyed itself and the gap allowed the throws to squeeze out and it all went pair shaped from there!

Also, the spring retainer is upside down... yes I know it seems it should go on the other way but I put them on the other way and have check several time with diagrams.

Most likely the spring retainer nut caused the problem as the thin ring on the side you expect to insert into the spring wasnt and under load did, made too much of a gap for the throws and out they came. Also wonder if the one way in the 1st speed is working well.

Last edited by blis; 04-02-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

or perhaps your retaining screw came loose. this has the same effect of changing your clutch gap.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
or perhaps your retaining screw came loose. this has the same effect of changing your clutch gap.
Patto, the TM has a clutch spring retaining nut with a flat side and the other has a protruding ring 1mm or so. While it would seem the ring side sits inside the spring it's not the case, this could have added the extra gap and deformed the spring.

Then the throws would have jammed on the clutch and a one way fault of first gear could unscrew the bolt.

Also, Ive posted issues regarding the RED SHOE material. I think there was a faulty batch of red shoes (the material itself was soft and chewy) and assume it also applied to the throws. The red shoe issue happened to several I had bought and considering they were harder, the original black shoe (softer) didnt fail in the same clutch and settings.

I wish Bundy would come out to Brendale and have a get together and I may be able to help him out with these quirks associated with TM
Old 04-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
Patto, the TM has a clutch spring retaining nut with a flat side and the other has a protruding ring 1mm or so. While it would seem the ring side sits inside the spring it's not the case, this could have added the extra gap and deformed the spring.

Then the throws would have jammed on the clutch and a one way fault of first gear could unscrew the bolt.

Also, Ive posted issues regarding the RED SHOE material. I think there was a faulty batch of red shoes (the material itself was soft and chewy) and assume it also applied to the throws. The red shoe issue happened to several I had bought and considering they were harder, the original black shoe (softer) didnt fail in the same clutch and settings.

I wish Bundy would come out to Brendale and have a get together and I may be able to help him out with these quirks associated with TM
or he left the screw holding it all on loose ? (i call this the retaining screw)
once the bell is allowed to have more end play, the clutch shoe needs to throw out further to make contact. then the throw out shoes get jammed in the plate. its frustrating, i have had this happen a few times with the 966.
what it comes down to is, either too much gap to start with, or you dont tighten the screw into the crankshaft tight enough.

I have given Bundy a remedy, but he fails to take note of it.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
or he left the screw holding it all on loose ? (i call this the retaining screw)
once the bell is allowed to have more end play, the clutch shoe needs to throw out further to make contact. then the throw out shoes get jammed in the plate. its frustrating, i have had this happen a few times with the 966.
what it comes down to is, either too much gap to start with, or you dont tighten the screw into the crankshaft tight enough.

I have given Bundy a remedy, but he fails to take note of it.
The first experience I had was having my clutch bell fly off down the straight.. I guess we've all had it happen to us and when we tighten a clutch, we make sure it's tight when completing a clutch setup.

.8mm is too much gap for a TM

Also, a seized thrust bearing
A faulty one way

Will force the off power torque to unscrew the retaining bolt.

(Says the guy who on Friday night had a dirty (slipping) one way and stripped first gear thinking it was the clutch .. hehe)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.