R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
The small wave springs I have found are very soft, they just give enough tension to push the clutchbell up and does keep the balls of the thrustbearing perfectly in the groove of the discs. The problem with to much play is when the clutch engages the balls of the bearing have to find the groove, at that moment a lot of forces are on the ring holding the balls and then after a few times the balls come loose...
I have these springs on all my clutches.

Another trick I have used for years is use a brass 10x5mm washer between the 2 steel discs, works perfectly and does not need any maintenance. You can find these brass rings at any hardware store at the screws section beside the steel screws and washers.
Hated those spring washers. Clutch react too soft. I rather have it react aggressively.

wingracer & HLLIB Been useing my endplay adjustment way before centax was release.. Before Serpent and Mugen even existed, when it was really a hobby of Pan cars Not the Pan cars you guys are thinling about.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Hated those spring washers. Clutch react too soft. I rather have it react aggressively.
Huh?????
My experience with these wave springs is that it does make the clutch more agressive because it does keep the gap at its maximum and so the engage point to the maximum.
I think we are talking about diffent springs?

I have been experimenting with disc springs as a clutch spring, that is a different story I have not finished yet but looks promising with only the right material discs. Mayby you are confused with that?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Huh?????
My experience with these wave springs is that it does make the clutch more agressive because it does keep the gap at its maximum and so the engage point to the maximum.
I think we are talking about diffent springs?

I have been experimenting with disc springs as a clutch spring, that is a different story I have not finished yet but looks promising with only the right material discs. Mayby you are confused with that?
My experience with the Spring washer, Centex clutch uses centifugal force on applying pressue on clutch disc. Setting endplay to minimum w/o spring washer made it more aggessive, to my driving style. Early centex had had small shims when assembling the thrust bearing. My adjusment come with shim at the engine bearind & collet. Not useing the spring washer or small shims w/thrust bearing.

Do what you're confortable with. Like I said been useing my adjustment for years. Everybody does things that they're confortable with.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote