R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #196
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedypeterb View Post
ditto how about our asian friends chiming in on the handling and characteristics and possibly the durability since here in the USA are waiting for our kits to arrive.
Peter: You didn't get a kit out of the first small batch that made it Kyosho America?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #197
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default new kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Peter: You didn't get a kit out of the first small batch that made it Kyosho America?
no It would have been a mad rush to get it ready for the last state race and have been so busy at work.

I'm going to run 1/8 scale for the next few races. I will be running the r4 between now and September to get it dialed in for our state series.

fyi I finished third in the state (by 1 point ) with th evo2 chasis with only the shimo brake disk as upgrade. lot's of red capricorn around me here

Peterb
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #198
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

R4 new parts
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho v-one r4!!!!-ky-vzw402.jpg   Kyosho v-one r4!!!!-ky-vzw403.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 AM   #199
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to barg

Hey guys,

Sorry have been extremely busy at work this week. Have finally had some time to get on here and give some feedback on the debut of the R4 at the 2011 Serpent Australia Tour held at MoorebankRaceway in Sydney Australia.

Well the car hit the track for the first time on the Friday afternoon. Had a lot of trouble getting the gearbox to change. I tried lots of things and in the end I had to back it off from the factory settings by over a turn. The other issue was the one way grease kept leaking onto the gearbox while it was still new and I had to keep cleaning it out. Once I had this sorted the gearbox was fine for the rest of the weekend and the change was really smooth and consistent. I tried tightening it back up to get closer to the factory settings but it did not like it. I will check my exact setting soon and post it.

The other issue I had was with the brakes sticking. This was caused by the cam that pushes the pads not being free in the bulkhead. I had to clean the bulkhead out with a hobby knife and I also added a set of springs in between the pads to help. This fixed the dragging brake issue though I was still having some brake fade even though I was using the APP pads.

Ok they were the only issues experienced with the car. Now for the good bits.

Car was right on the weight limit with a li-fe battery pack and mini servo`s. I have titanium screws to add to the car but wanted to run it stock first.

The car handled awesome all weekend. I managed to TQ the first round with stiff competition and ended up qualifying 3rd overall for the A final with a 16 laps in 5:04. I managed to match this time in 3 or 4 of the 6 heats.

I ran in 2nd place in the final behind worlds finalist Peter Javanovic before a blown plug at around 20 mins put me out. Car was awesome and I put in my fastest laps of the weekend in the 30 min final even though I had next to no brakes after the first 5 mins.

My findings on the car. Well the lightweight drive train really feels like it spools up faster and gives the car more top end. Clutch was really good and I only added .2 more gap for some extra punch out of the corner. I didnt get a chance to play with gearing and ran the kit gearing. I will try a 16 tooth first gear the next time I run it to see if that improves the accelaration.

Diffs were awesome. So lightweight. First time I have ever run a front diff in a kyosho. I was really worried about not having a spool but the car handled good with the 300K in the front. The 50K rear diff felt a bit light as the traction came up and I will try a thicker rear diff at the upcoming championships in a few weeks.

Didnt really change much on the car setup other than playing with the front and rear sway bars. Will be trying a few setup changes the next time I run it.

If anyone has any questions just let me know and I will be happy to answer them.

Andrew

HEI International | www.hobbyexpress.com.au
www.nswrcrcc.com
barg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #200
Tech Rookie

Hi,
yes, the car handles better with the spool in the front (I will try to post a photo of my car) and 80.000 in rear diff.
Only a question: for how long have you been driving the R4 without changing the rear diff ?

Last edited by Peppuccio; 04-08-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Peppuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #201
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppuccio View Post
Hi,
yes, the car handles better with the spool in the front (I will try to post a photo of my car) and 80.000 in rear diff.
Only a question: for how long have you been driving the R4 without changing the rear diff ?
What is the part no for the spool? This was my first run with the car. Has only done 20 mins practice and 6 x 5 min heats and the final. Will be running it again next week.

www.nswrcrcc.com
Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #202
Tech Adept

Quote:
Hi,
whats wrong with the rear diff??
Old 04-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #203
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiyu View Post
whats wrong with the rear diff??
There is nothing wrong with the diff. It is extremely lightweight and smooth. I think Pep was saying that with 50k diff oil the diff is very light. It would be like running 20K in the RRR.

www.nswrcrcc.com
Old 04-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #204
Tech Adept

pleasekeep posted any findings on the car , that would help a lot..

Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #205
Tech Rookie

Sorry for my late answer but I was sleeping: in Italy now is quite nine in the morning.
This is my R4 with the spool adapted from Hudy spare. We are still waiting the spool from Kyosho.
Yes the 50.000 on R4 is like the 20.000 on RRR.
Another modification I've done was the rear offset to be able to use my kyosho tires with -2 offset.
If you like I will show you how.
Sorry for my english.
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho v-one r4!!!!-r4.jpg  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #206
Tech Fanatic

Default rear offset

Quote:
Sorry for my late answer but I was sleeping: in Italy now is quite nine in the morning.
This is my R4 with the spool adapted from Hudy spare. We are still waiting the spool from Kyosho.
Another modification I've done was the rear offset to be able to use my kyosho tires with -2 offset.
Sorry for my english.
if you could please show how you run offset thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #207
Tech Rookie

I have lowered the wheel hub by 0.8 mm from the internal side and inserted some washers from the other side ... I will post the photos as soon as I will take back my photocamera from a friend of mine.
That's the photo that i can make at this moment ... sorry
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho v-one r4!!!!-offset.jpg  

Last edited by Peppuccio; 04-10-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Peppuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #208
Tech Fanatic

Default diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barg View Post
There is nothing wrong with the diff. It is extremely lightweight and smooth. I think Pep was saying that with 50k diff oil the diff is very light. It would be like running 20K in the RRR.
The reason the diff question was raised here is sommeone in the US ran the car and blew the diff in the rear twice, not sure the reason but no one has seen the internals yet to see what may of happened.

I will say that before the diff issue the car was on the same pace exactly of when he ran his Capricorn. I for one can't wait to get this car and see it's potential. I will definetely put a solid up front when kyosho makes one.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #209
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Sorry for my english.
bro, can u post pic for ur wiring seem like u wiring so nice t.q
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #210
Tech Master

may i know if the r4 uses the same set of rear differential gears as the previous version, say, can the LSD gear set be used in r4? thanks!
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote