Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree33Likes

Xray RX8 1/8th Scale

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jeff whiting
Good question. I am sure there are many thoughts on this subject. Experience is important for sure but to me you must have a goal when setting up the car. For instance, the first time we ran the RX8 with the stock set up we noticed a lack of low speed steering and the rear was too planted and would not rotate well. So I knew it needed more front grip and less rear grip. So I changed the front and rear roll centers and the springs to get the handling I was looking for. Hope this helps a little.

Jeff
That is my point too..thanks for the great information it is nice to have guys with experience like you to guide us.

Tony
Old 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
Wit a nimh battery, 75g copper battery tray and 75g brass motor mounts, I still have to add another 100g to get legal?
Yeah, with a lipo and no weights, mine was 119g light. I did add weight for the race though.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default 1 left

http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...=XRA340000!SER
Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Thumbs up rx8 parts

Parts have been thx Rc America

Last edited by Rocketron1969; 07-05-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Chris, Jim is right the Byron's is a TFZ race (Tech Free Zone). We ran the car the way it came plus the regular weight 909 body so it prolly was right at the legal minimum with big tires. I'm with ya Chris...long live the Masters class. BTW way I have my RX8 sitting on its wheels so it won't be long for me.
You got enough room in the trailblazer for another car?lol
Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
You got enough room in the trailblazer for another car?lol
Thats a good question. Man I like my SS Trailblazer but now that all the kids are racing I may have to get something else. Like a Winnebago!....with a vortec...and...200 shot of squeese for just for passing.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default RX8 pic

A few people have asked me to post a photo of where I am placing my weights. So to make it easy I cut and pasted this news item from my site.

Here is a photo of where we are placing our weights on the Xray RX8.
Picture shows YB-copper battery tray (75g) YB brass motor mounts (75g) 5 of the seven weights included in the YB universal brass round weight kit and an extra 20g round weight (60g). You can also see the YB stainless steel front and rear (mugen/offset) axles used with XRAY cvd bones. (these save a total of 10 grams off the rotating weight). Also the magnesium axle spacers (another two grams of the RM) and the hollow stainless steel midshaft (-5g off the RM).

We are currently in production on the brass and aluminum versions of the rear radio tray support.
Attached Thumbnails Xray RX8 1/8th Scale-rx8_xray-weight-pic.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

I am a little bit confused by rx8 option parts ...they are so many...any suggestions whether is worth purchasing any of them?The car is so good out of the box and I do not know if changing parts will help its performance.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Lord

It is easy..... How much are you away from the toplevel guys? If you can compete with them some rotating lightweight parts like aluminium CVD shafts can be usefull. If you are more than 0.5 sec a lap away you still have much to do without option parts, those parte will not make a difference larger than 0.1 sec.

Some parts like aluminium suspension arm brackets makes the car les fragile giving also less flex on the suspendion making it more stable. But hay, even the "plastic" MRX4-X is still a awesome and winning car so who needs all kind of aluminium parts?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Thats a good question. Man I like my SS Trailblazer but now that all the kids are racing I may have to get something else. Like a Winnebago!....with a vortec...and...200 shot of squeese for just for passing.
u could just strap loran to the top of the SS or foster im sure he would love it lol...
Old 07-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyhalandri
I am a little bit confused by rx8 option parts ...they are so many...any suggestions whether is worth purchasing any of them?The car is so good out of the box and I do not know if changing parts will help its performance.

Thanks
There are different types of aftermarket parts. Some parts make the car heavier, like the YBSLOW goods, and we know that the RX8 needs some weight. Some make the car more reliable, such as being able to better withstand a crash and then you have the parts that make the car lighter such as rotating weight, and then there are some that are just money gobblers

Use some common sense and you will save money as well
Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CFowler
Use some common sense and you will save money as well
Where's the fun in that?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof
It is easy..... How much are you away from the toplevel guys? If you can compete with them some rotating lightweight parts like aluminium CVD shafts can be usefull. If you are more than 0.5 sec a lap away you still have much to do without option parts, those parte will not make a difference larger than 0.1 sec.

Some parts like aluminium suspension arm brackets makes the car les fragile giving also less flex on the suspendion making it more stable. But hay, even the "plastic" MRX4-X is still a awesome and winning car so who needs all kind of aluminium parts?
Agree, I like plastic car, reliable. Better concentrate on some handling, get rid of the fancy stuffs.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Default Mod of flex radio plate

I'm thinking to mod the flex radio plate more smoothly, I've found that the plate design is simple and useful, but I feel its hard to flex smoothly. Unlike MRX5 or V8 11, those have the flex bearing going along the flex bracket and make the radio plate flex very smooth.

My feeling about RX8 flex design, its kinda hard to move when I press the radio plate side to side. Its totally harder than MRX5.

So anyone has the mod radio plate can share some mechical ideas for smoother flex mechanism. Appriciated
Old 07-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyhalandri

Thanks
Its a crazy class, lightweight this, add weight that!! LOL..i ran 1/8 buggy for years,and miss the freedom of running my cars at full potential,i feel when u spend this kind of money, it should be as light or heavy as YOU want it to be,i love the class but think that's kinda INSANE,,, how cool would it be if we could use them at there full potential, as light and fast as they can run for your well spend/hard earned money..i mean u buy a 900 engine, just to counter all the weight you have to put back on? errr , it would be so much more affordable if u ask me, have like the old school rules i remember was to have, GTP class, and OPEN 1/8 <edison N.J.>..and let the rest sort it out.. that being said..

my car is perfect, without a single hop up...even tho i have a bag of new goodies to test and play with.. the car in my honest opinion, IS that good. Leave it alone, unless u need to add weight, the whole reason for my rant...sorry.. my car feels perfect, if you think you need to do something here or there to improve it, there are plenty of "options" to do so

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.