Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More new RD pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by mckrooz
No, it clears the 2 speed pulley fine. But the header is pretty close to the belt. There's not much clearance under the header.
We tried putting a RD Logics pipe our friend's Yokomo GT4 RTR II with a Novarossi NS12S5 engine, but the belt was rubbing the header.
It was like the header was a belt tensioner.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Yes, the front of the RD Turbo II does sit in close to the front pulley on the MTX-3 but I don't mind that - helps keep the stinger out of the way of errant traffic. We also cut the stinger down to the legal limit of 10mm.
I'm a bit surprised, here. I presumed I was the only one with a stinger pointing slightly upwards.

I recently bought a pipe that "looks" very similar to the RD one - just out of curiosity, and no, I'm not expecting the same performance.
The point is that the manufacturing was spot on in terms of fit and orientation of the parts. This one was only US$35 and made in Taiwan, as is the RD one.
I'm not fussed about where they're made, but maybe RD's manufacturer could look at some improvement.
THS model? If so you will be very happy with it. The THS I have does NOT have the new shorter header like the RD II so it loses a bit of top but has a little more mid.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by PSI Racing
We tried putting a RD Logics pipe our friend's Yokomo GT4 RTR II with a Novarossi NS12S5 engine, but the belt was rubbing the header.
It was like the header was a belt tensioner.
I'm pretty sure thats a common problem with GT4's. I know because I have owned 3 gt4's. What I end up doing usually is grinding and polishing the bottom portion of the header.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by AMGRacer
THS model? If so you will be very happy with it. The THS I have does NOT have the new shorter header like the RD II so it loses a bit of top but has a little more mid.
So you liked it huh?
This one is a JPL brand. I dare say it's the same as the THS or HEK etc.
Yes the header is a bit longer than the RD Turbo II and the whole thing is probably a touch shorter overall. I think I may even be able to swap the headers.
The JPL may be better for a shorter track. We'll see.

I must say, though, that the RD works very well on a short track or long.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Tech Rookie

RDL has the best pipes in my opinion- bar none.

Price is great and performance is even better with my NS3!! I run on a fairly short/medium track and run the 61210L pipe.

FW05R- After trashing a new REX pipe on my MTX-3 the first week out this year, my driving has improved drastically!! I was a little excited to be on the track after a long NY winter (and trigger happy)- any pipe would have suffered some damage there. I have pulled my MTX-3 in after a few heats expecting to see some pipe damage on the RDL, but I have either been lucky, or the pipe is extremely strong. A good T- boning will hammer any pipe, not just a RDL pipe.

I have fabricated a pipe guard that I'll post a pic of later. It looks like it belongs on the car- really nice if I say so myself!!
Old 07-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

6 new pipes in a month.

ths&jpl
pipes are copies of rd pipes made by the same manufacturer sold to other companies. They are the work of RD but we cant stop it from happening.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Motorman
6 new pipes in a month.

ths&jpl
pipes are copies of rd pipes made by the same manufacturer sold to other companies. They are the work of RD but we cant stop it from happening.
It if is customer original design and maybe some sort of own tooling, manufacturer will not sell or make for other brand unless once have no buying power. If they are being made by other manufacturer, that is more logical to me.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by mckrooz
The only thing that bugs me about the RD's are the angle of the header. When connected to the pipe, the pipe is at an angle towards the car.
I can understand that because RD makes not car kit (even if they should have fit one and see before production). But on the other hand, Shark pipe is the worst, they could not even fit their own company Team Magic G4 car correctly!
Old 07-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Pyramid thats what we thought too but not so. I can say a few new pipes (such as the truck side pipe)we are purchasing and they are not our direct design but the turbo one and two designs are and we know for a fact the factory is rebadging them it is no secret to us. we just deal with it and move on.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Pyramid thats what we thought too but not so. I can say a few new pipes (such as the truck side pipe)we are purchasing and they are not our direct design but the turbo one and two designs are and we know for a fact the factory is rebadging them it is no secret to us. we just deal with it and move on.
are you affiliated in anyway with RD Logics
Old 07-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

I would think so since I designed the turbo 2 pipes.
The KLR versions
Old 07-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What does KLR stand for ? Just wondering
Old 07-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

thats kind of a long story I'd rather not go into.(theres some politics attached) suffice to say when the pipes came in that was on the box print and it just stayed.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

6 new pipes in a month.

ths&jpl
Thanks Motorman, that's as I thought.
I wonder why the heck they can't get the QC up to scratch for your Turbo II product.

As an aside though, the JPL pipe body is about 3mm shorter than the Turbo II. Maybe it's a copy of the old RD, as the header is also a bit longer.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Tech Rookie

6 new pipes in a month.

ths&jpl
If I am am right, THS has a pipe before RDLogics. I think RD copy THS. When I saw the RDLogics pipe a year ago, it was same as THS's.