Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Elections for President coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tire Chunker
I like Steve's ideas and focus. Why have I and the other 99% of RC racers never joined ROAR? Zero regional races, zero focus on non-national championship racing, a lack of interest in ROAR "furthering the general interest of all persons engaged in the sport" What do you get by joining ROAR? A chance to enter and race at a national championship.

Why do you think ROAR membership is pathetically low? ROAR has made an organization that has zero foundation, which has resulted in almost no new faces at the upper levels of racing. Where are all the young guns with the quick reflexes and skills? Why are their a bunch of 30 and 40 year old guys still competitive at the top level? Zero foundation.

We need to get kids and parents involved in the sport. Forget holding national championships, the focus should be on getting local races setup to bring people to the sport.
This is correct. The #1 question about ROAR is "What do I get for my $30?".

If you do not attend national races, or are not involved with a club track that uses the insurance, ROAR is not something you'd ever need to worry about. There does need to be something for the local racer who may never attend a national event. Something that not only attracts the racer to local races, but also allows the track owner/club to provide something as a ROAR track that is not available elsewhere. What that may be is not important right now, other than to say it should be competition oriented and can be done locally. ROAR will not be relevant unless it attracts a larger base of participants.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Orange
ROAR has a committee system in place. It got re-vamped a little and is now extremely effective. The old class committee system for each class was very in-effective. Great idea, but no way to make it efficient enough to work properly.
I too remember the class committee period and indeed it slowed thing to reverse. I guess in the business world, commitees work pretty well mainly because the members are drawing around 80k a year or so and understand if they dont come to a consensus on matters at hand, the 80k could disappear. When you have VOLUNTEERS on Roar committees, the 80 k sword is not hanging over their head to really get anything done.

Rev-Up cost a ton of money and was useless without information of which region directors were suppossed to supply...

....To me, RMT has been the greatest idea for promotion of racing that ROAR has ever done. It allows for a broader range of tracks that can host the Nationals to tracks that couldn't host them before and even allows for tracks to be able to use alternate locations for the event if they choose. Before RMT, there were many viable tracks that could not host the Nationals, for many reasons, Manpower, lack of the proper computer and scoring equipment, etc... ROAR supplys this now.

I will admit, I had reservations about trading RevUp to fund RMT, but 4 or 5 years down the road now I have decided the trade was good. As someone who has been on both sides of RMT, if it has done nothing else it has provided consistent repeatable scoring and tech equipment at national events.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

GMartinez:

It was insinuated that there are not committees when in fact there is...
My point was that the committees are now finally being used effectively and efficiently. And are run by people well versed in the classes they represent.

In other words, the system finally works and as you want has accountability.

In the past from my observations from being a part of a class committee, they didn't work and had zero accountability.... Lots can be done with the roots set in place with the new system and it's a proven model (IFMAR and EFRA both use a similar system to great success!)

Last edited by Orange; 10-13-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When my son raced BMX, the ABA took the results from every race you attended in the region and posted a points standing monthly. These were weekly club type races, with double and triple point races scheduled at various tracks. National level was sponsored pros. This always kept the interest of the local racers because they could see how they stood in their region at any time. Most of the r/c racers I run with don't know what region we are in or why it is even designated as a region.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveP
Hey Rich!! Give me some time brother! LOL I have a lot of ideas. Of course they have to be within ROAR's budget and they need to be widely accepted by the membership, but I think there's a lot that can be done.

• Location of events – One thing that has always stuck with me is how I was introduced to the RC hobby. I was visiting my Grandparents in NYC, and my father took me to the New York Auto Show afterward at Madison Square Garden. This was some time in the middle 70's. On the second or third floor was a lot of noise from a PA and lots of people gathered around a fence. It was a 1/12-scale race before the days of rechargeable batteries. I must have sat there for four hours, FASCINATED by how fast and nimble these cars were. I'd seen and driven the toy RC cars, but these were light years faster and they were racing them! That one moment is what has led me to a 35 year hobby and a 25 year career in the business. The value of doing what we do in plain sight of others that have never seen it, is under-rated. It's paramount to the success of our hobby.

and I thought I had something to do with your introduction to RC.

Hey Steve...good luck old buddy (and yes you're old). Touch base when you have a [email protected]

As a father of two very young boys who plans to extend his RC enjoyment through their involvement, I'd like to see a back to basics approach to racing from ROAR here in the US. IMO, too many classes (stock, super stock and mod) has diluted the field coupled with the blackbox technology (brushless)that was suppose to level the playing field for racing and make it easier has discouraged new comers. Off-road racing appears to weathered the storm better than on-road. Although, in our area, TCS Mini Cooper racing has gained significant turnouts, probably because of its simplicity.

Alternate ROAR National Events every other year for off-road and on-road racing. Require at a minimum "regional event" participation to qualify for the ROAR Nationals. How about a patnership arangement with the Boys Scouts? Any program to help young kids become involved at a reasonable price is important. Considering the cost of competitive racing these days, I'll probably limit my kids involvement to a spec type class of racing, either off-road or on-road.

Good luck....
CARL
Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Orange
I agree with you Robert... But as with any auto racing new developments in technology dictate the rules sometimes and sometimes things need adjusting...

And I have not met anyone ever that doesn't stand firm that rules are rules and they should be enforced no matter what.... I got DQ'd from a race a few years ago for trimming about 1/8" inch corner off a number so that it didn't interfere with a shock... The rules said "No trimming numbers" (That rule has been adjusted since then because lap counting systems are a permanent feature just about everywhere now and also required for ROAR Nationals.) I said "I didn't trim the number, I trimmed the body, the number got in the way, "

(My wife dq'd me for that as she was the ROAR official at the race, )

True Story!
I've been readinf through this forum and came across this post...Classic.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Ya, fun to talk about now, at the time I wasn't that thrilled, Haha... Good times.

How are things Carl? Its been a while.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Interesting stuff. I've scanned the thread a bit and its nice to see new ideas. I will admit, I was highly critical of our previous president when I ran......when Dawn took over, I was like......Oh god, in the end though, Dawn was a big upgrade and made some great moves with ROAR. I was a bit suprised to see her stepping away from ROAR........

I would like to hear thoughts on a national points system. Would also like to hear how ROAR plans to make regionals actually matter like they used to along with a nationals qualifier system. Both Carl and I had excellent ideas back in during our campaigns for these.

I would also like to hear the plans to streamline classes. There are simply too many classes right now. Onroad is dying a slow death, but is not past the point of no return.....

Lastly, I think its just time to do away with regional directors. While we have regions with great ones, most have a guy that reluctantly took the job (I've been there) or literally nobody on the ballot for the spot. Regional directors are often the scapegoat of so many things its unreal, with the most common being 'if the regional director was at the race, then I would show up and race!".

Looking forward to the responses....

Later EddieO