R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,293
Default ROAR Elections for President coming soon

Okay fellow racers. This is not about bashing ROAR. It is time we make some changes to our organization.

I see ROAR's major short coming as a huge lack of promotion, defined direction and leadership. ROAR, as it is currently, is a rule making body - plus, I suppose, a Race Management Team.

ROAR must be more than a rule making body. WE, as ROAR, must involve racers, manufactures, track owners and event promoters. We should look at a National Points Program. We need the manufacturers help - they need us to sell product, track owners want to increase attendance, promoters want to make a buck. So be it. Easy to grasp. Now, we need a leader. Some one who is charismatic, agreeable, an excellent leader and manager. Someone who can look beyond the rules to the future. Someone who knows how to structure an organization for success.

Okay guys and gals - who is our next visionary leader going to be?


Lets's get this conversation rockin'
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
garen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: GLENDALE
Posts: 1,730
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Rich, you are in harmony with the future.
__________________
bpengines-usa.com fioroni-usa.com motonica-usa.com

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
Rich, you are in harmony with the future.

That was fun.

But, this is something that I feel strongly about. The on-road gang should band together and come up a strong, like minded candidate.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
SOLOARTIST 702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: WORLD WIDE
Posts: 3,393
Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702
Default

It seems to have been a pretty rough year for racing weather its the economy or what have you we as racers should look at getting our hobby back on track. Remember its all about fun let's not overlook that aspect fun fun fun
__________________
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Naples,Fl
Posts: 171
Default voting process

I agree Rich.....but how do you honestly do that when all votes go straight to the ROAR office to be counted by a paid employee of ROAR? This is not directed at Fred H, but the current process. Votes are counted behind closed doors. As members who might want change, I believe we have to start with how the votes are counted. It's one thing if it was done at a live meeting where all drop their vote in a bowl and it was counted in front of all, but that isn't the case.
We need an independant firm to do the counting, to insure a fair process.

kevin hutchinson
spdmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdmkr View Post
I agree Rich.....but how do you honestly do that when all votes go straight to the ROAR office to be counted by a paid employee of ROAR? This is not directed at Fred H, but the current process. Votes are counted behind closed doors. As members who might want change, I believe we have to start with how the votes are counted. It's one thing if it was done at a live meeting where all drop their vote in a bowl and it was counted in front of all, but that isn't the case.
We need an independant firm to do the counting, to insure a fair process.

kevin hutchinson
Hi Kevin,

I trust Fred and the system. He is a no back down kinda guy. He's no puppet and speaks his mind. That being said, however, I don't see why there couldn't be open an over site committee. If that will help voter turnout - I wouldn't think we would hit a barrier... I can find out if enough feel it would help membership confidence.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 956
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow
Default

I am JD Crow. ROAR Technical Director. I will be seeking the Office of President in 2010. Some background for those who may not know me or my background. Many I have had the pleasure of meeting throughtout the years either at events, or online, or because you always had a part i needed to make me think I could go fast.

ROAR Member since 1988
RC Racing since 1987 with a broad array of formats.


Quarter Scale Grand National Racing for RACO late 1980's thruought Arkansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana,and Texas during the SW 1/4 Scale Series

1:10 Pancar On-Road and Oval for Snuffy Smith’s Original Hyperdrive. Had the opportunity to witness and race at the ultimate r/c racing expience (promotion, venue, competition) ever, world class Bob Hosch (sp?) Lake Whipporwlll International Speedway.

1:12 Onroad Racing

1:10 Fuel 2wd 235 Racing Serpent Cars during the 1990’s racing Southwest Championship Series and ROAR Nationals. Raced a Touring Car Body while others were racing CanAms and had a wonderful experience.

1:10 Fuel RC Gas Truck and 1:8 Fuel Buggy racing with RCPro Series

1:5 Scale On-Road Racing FG Cars at ROAR Nationals and in Europe

1:10 Off-Road Racing 2wd Buggy, 4wd Buggy, 2wd and 4wd Short Course Trucks

Race Organization and Promotion
I have Constructed Tracks and Organized Racing Events for more than 20 years. I Constructed “The Rock Raceway” in Hensley Arkansas. Promoted the Local and Series events held there during for several years. Track remains active paved oval racing site for QSAC racing.

Constructed indoor On-Road Carpet racing for 1:12 and 1:10 pan cars during the early 1990’s, promoted and operated the racing programs.

Organized and developed electric off-road racing series (Arkansas Championship Off-Road Racing Series) in 2007-2008. Total ground up revival of electric off-road racing in the State. These efforts renewed electric racing for older tracks and investment by a private individual to create a new indoor racing venue for our state.

Vision

I wrote the original Slash Spec Racing Rules which many venues quickly adopted for the basis of Traxxas Slash Spec Racing in the USA. These rules were written and published on RCTech and quickly adopted by major race promoters as the basic racing rules for the emerging Traxxas Slash Short Course Truck.

ROAR Leadership
I was appointed to the ROAR Electric Off-Road Racing Committee in November 2007. I was Elected Chairman of the Committee by my committee members. During my first year term, my leadership was responsible for several improvements and progress developments which the Executive Committee adopted for ROAR Electric Racing:
• ROAR 1:8 Electric Buggy Class Rules and Specifications developed and adopted
• ROAR Race Lengths advanced from 5 Minutes Heats/Mains to 6 Minute Heat/Mains
• ROAR Short Course Truck Class Rules and Specifications developed and adopted

After effectively leading the electric Off-Road Racing Committee for nearly one year, the Executive Committee invited my to join that level of leadership in filling the vacant Technical Director position. After phone interviews with the members of the executive committee, I accepted an offer to join the Executive Team.

Since my appointment to the Position, I have worked to improve relationships between Manufacturers and the ROAR Organization. My role serves as a liaison between the manufacturer and several Labs during the product inspection and approval processes. That includes Racing Bodies, Battery, and Motor Approvals. I also routinely remain engaged with Manufacturers with regard to product developments for our Racing Classes, as well as responding to inquiries regarding interpretations of rules or permitted uses of products at our events. My role also serves to leverage information from Racers, Tracks, and Race Promotors to identify a new segment or trend which can have beneficial, or negative impact on our members, organization, and hobbies future.

Being a racer at heart, I always look for ways to raise the bar to move our passion from kids and boys playing with toy cars in someones back yard track, to WOW look at that Race Venue and those amazing machines.

Committment
One of the biggest challenges the Organization faces is manpower. We have many volunteer racers who raise their hand and seek Director positions, committee seats, Region Assistant Positions, and then disappear. All of these positions are vital to the health and growth of ROAR. And all take more time then most can imagine. I know in my position both as a committee chair, and technical director role, its not unusual to find myself spending 40 hours (often more) a week communicating with racing members, mfg affiliates (active and aspiring), non-member racers, track operators, and anyone who sends questions my way. Without dedicated members in all offices, the organization will continue to be taxed for resources.

Not only ROAR, but R/C in general, I feel will have some serious challenges ahead, More and More non-affiliated/sanctioned events, while adding exposure to many, do present some concerns that could affect every race director, organization, and manufacturer. Particularly the trend with 24hour Indoor fuel events.

I look forward to the Challenges the 2011 Leadership Team at all levels will address and take action upon. Either as the Face of ROAR, Technical Director, or a racing or non-racing member.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide background. I look forward to questions, thoughts, as well as your support. Not only for the election season, but during the 2 years the term will run.

Regards,
JD Crow

Last edited by JDCrow; 05-14-2010 at 08:52 PM.
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,293
Default

Perfect. Thanks for joining JD.

Here are two questions:

A). How do you feel about a National Point Program

B). What plans do you have to energize the circle of - racer, manufacturers, promoter and facility owners? It seems, to me, ROAR hasn't brought all four groups together - how do you plan to address this situation?
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 956
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
Perfect. Thanks for joining JD.

Here are two questions:

A). How do you feel about a National Point Program

B). What plans do you have to energize the circle of - racer, manufacturers, promoter and facility owners? It seems, to me, ROAR hasn't brought all four groups together - how do you plan to address this situation?
Hey Rich.
I hope I get some Committment Kudos...Its Friday Night, after 9pm, and Im on a RC Forum talking ROAR.

A) I believe a National Point Program has merit, but not in Crowning National Championships. If its to hand a National Award not earned in head to head competition on the same track at the same event, then my support is No.

If its a basis to revive and place more recognition for State, Regional, and Super Regional Events, then it will not be successful unless Racers and Tracks join in and support. That will mean more control on the rogue allowances many venues race under. (ie Class Specs must be universal. Today many tracks tweak Class product use, race format, etc to serve there own purpose.)

B) First of all, absentee Region Directors must step up or step out. And Nat Points Program will not have a chance if only a few regions adopt. And Tracks cant reach their primary point of contact. These positions are the Racers Advocate, Champion, and Voice for issues related to Safety, Racing, Sanctioning of events and facilities.

I have worked over the past three years to develop a honest and confidential relationship with all our manufacture affiliates. I do believe many now are willing to share information openly with me, knowing anything they wish kept confidential remains so. Even with ROAR leadership until there is an acknowledgement to share.

I have also encouraged third parties to begin discussion of Joint promotions between ROAR and several events which traditionally use some form of ROAR Rules or product approvals, yet do not run under our Sanction or Membership requirements. We have for as long as ive been engaged at the ExCom level, had open dialoge with several promotors and race directors. I only see the trend of cooperation growing more diverse and beneficial for all.

I think we have been on a good path to get all parties engaged. Im still troubled by the Region Director gaps, which create the biggest dis-service for our members at large. They are their voice. And absentee voices share no information. Fortunately and unfortunately the ROAR Section Chairmen, Committees, and ultimately Executive Committee have to be the facilitor of these groups. Kevlar suits are often required. But in the end, we all seem to make good decisions, based on thougthful research, and without forgetting its just as key for our casual member, as our professional racer members. Or at least recognize the challenges unsolved or created and respond for the best interest of all.

One of my first task will be to review each Region with the elected Director. before the end of the year. Add assistants to encourage effective communications up and down he organization. Its that important if we are going to establish high quality Region and State Championships programs, that add venues to the organization, as well as redefine ROAR National Champion
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
Scott B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NOR-CAL
Posts: 1,249
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

I think you Mr. Brown should throw your hat in the ring. You'd have my vote!!!
__________________
Mugen Racing USA, Sweep Racing Tires, R1 Wurks, Protoform, Speedworld Raceway...

"On-road is racing.. off-road is 50% competitive jumping and 50% crash avoidance"...
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Tech Addict
 
speedracer1bp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 504
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
I think you Mr. Brown should throw your hat in the ring. You'd have my vote!!!
I second that!!
speedracer1bp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
I think you Mr. Brown should throw your hat in the ring. You'd have my vote!!!
Sorry Scott, position needs to be a diplomat.

I'm more of a military type - you know good ol' Stormin' Norman style. Shock and Awe, baby.

I believe I've been referred to as a bully more than once in my life, typically by whussies.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrow View Post
Hey Rich.
I hope I get some Committment Kudos...Its Friday Night, after 9pm, and Im on a RC Forum talking ROAR.

A) I believe a National Point Program has merit, but not in Crowning National Championships. If its to hand a National Award not earned in head to head competition on the same track at the same event, then my support is No.

If its a basis to revive and place more recognition for State, Regional, and Super Regional Events, then it will not be successful unless Racers and Tracks join in and support. That will mean more control on the rogue allowances many venues race under. (ie Class Specs must be universal. Today many tracks tweak Class product use, race format, etc to serve there own purpose.)

B) First of all, absentee Region Directors must step up or step out. And Nat Points Program will not have a chance if only a few regions adopt. And Tracks cant reach their primary point of contact. These positions are the Racers Advocate, Champion, and Voice for issues related to Safety, Racing, Sanctioning of events and facilities.

I have worked over the past three years to develop a honest and confidential relationship with all our manufacture affiliates. I do believe many now are willing to share information openly with me, knowing anything they wish kept confidential remains so. Even with ROAR leadership until there is an acknowledgement to share.

I have also encouraged third parties to begin discussion of Joint promotions between ROAR and several events which traditionally use some form of ROAR Rules or product approvals, yet do not run under our Sanction or Membership requirements. We have for as long as ive been engaged at the ExCom level, had open dialoge with several promotors and race directors. I only see the trend of cooperation growing more diverse and beneficial for all.

I think we have been on a good path to get all parties engaged. Im still troubled by the Region Director gaps, which create the biggest dis-service for our members at large. They are their voice. And absentee voices share no information. Fortunately and unfortunately the ROAR Section Chairmen, Committees, and ultimately Executive Committee have to be the facilitor of these groups. Kevlar suits are often required. But in the end, we all seem to make good decisions, based on thougthful research, and without forgetting its just as key for our casual member, as our professional racer members. Or at least recognize the challenges unsolved or created and respond for the best interest of all.

One of my first task will be to review each Region with the elected Director. before the end of the year. Add assistants to encourage effective communications up and down he organization. Its that important if we are going to establish high quality Region and State Championships programs, that add venues to the organization, as well as redefine ROAR National Champion

Kudos for late night responses. More questions tomorrow. Glad to know you are running.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,839
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Sorry to throw this out there right now, but whoever considers sanctioning 1/28th scale racing (Mini-Z Scale) will get my vote and a whole community that is rapidly growing and thirsty for sanctioning. It is the QUICKEST growing sector of the On-Road Market currently with still a great deal of potential for growth.

Two Years ago, Myself, along with a group of another 6 individuals that represented the Industry, whether it was a manufacturer (as myself), track owners and racers, drew up a preliminary plan and rules and approached ROAR about doing this. We were essentially given the cold shoulder and ignored. The current president actually said to me that for the cars to become sanctioned, they had to be run as a demo class at a ROAR On-Road National. I explained that the cars were the size of the palm of your hand, and they could not be run on a 10th or 12th scale track. To this day, I believe she did not understand what 1/28th scale meant, or she really did not care.

We need someone in office that can look into the future and foresee that for the growth of the organization, hobby and memberships, new trails have to be blazed. How awesome would it be that for once, ROAR and not EFRA or JRMCA as the first to recognize a scale such as 1/28th.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME

Last edited by CristianTabush; 05-14-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic
 
Bill Wyatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 865
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

When is the election? and how do people cast their votes?

The last year and a half have been rough on the entire RC community. It will turn around eventually and with good leadership things will only get better.
__________________
MUGEN USA / NOVAROSSI / AIRTRONICS / KONA KUSTOM DECALS
DARKSOUL RACING / ONEILL BROTHERS RACING / KILLER RC
Bill Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:00 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net