R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/339398-european-2wd-1-8th-pan-car-road-classic-class.html)

*1speedy 10-29-2009 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by senna555 (Post 6538584)
Search Rally Game been out for years overseas and surprisingly not that popular...go figure...however redrc has some neat info.

Same thing happened in offroad...whatever happened to that monster truck class...oh yeah it is called truggy...full out 1/8 car with bigger tires and more aero body.

Amber visor is the way to go.

This IDIOT bashes anything he cant understand or doesnt like. Maybe all the hobby shops should stop selling monster trucks and truggys there 2 best sellers because Master Tech senna said so. What a AZZ:nod::nod: His goal must be to piss off some off road guys now. Can't wait for his next quote

wingracer 10-29-2009 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 6538745)
I think the stars of GT racing will be GT racers, any "Pros" that come into North American style GT class racing will have to drive what "we" drive too.:lol::)

Just like every other class on earth, yet those guys win everything they race.

*1speedy 10-29-2009 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by djmachinist (Post 6538732)
Yes, I agree about what happened with 1/10th TC and not to mention it killed the 235mm class. I eluded to this in my first post on this thread.

Speedy,
I appreciate what you are saying about the GT class, however look at the topic of this thread. It does'nt say anything about the GT class. This thread was started to discuss The "1/8th scale pan car class" . I sure did not say anything about the GT class. If the GT class is your passion and you have a successful program at your track, thats great, I wish you well. Senna 555 got his say and you got your say. enough is enough with the insults. Now, can we please get back to thread topic? If you would like to stick around and discuss the topic, you are welcome.

Dale:)

You are right this is not the thread for this & I apologise to you and your fellow pan car owners. I hope senna learns to talk trash where know one else is reading ill beat he never had lunch money as a kid.:ha:

Jspeed 10-29-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 6538783)
Just like every other class on earth, yet those guys win everything they race.

Not 100% true, the last 2 Byron's GT races at Leisure Hours were not won by "Pros",:)

More pan car pictures please........

J.Gonzalez 10-29-2009 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Argh....

Point with monster truck class and truggies was that it ruined it for the basher type racer. Monster truck were no longer competitive and thus ruining the class for the basher...same thing happened in touring car,200mm sedan etc.

Point is car need to be basic..point from the beginning.

Isnt their a thread about gt cars already. I am sure your time would be better spent their or on the who gives a s@%t thread.

Enjoy your gt race seems like you got something going in your area..good luck with that.

I dont think anyone posted a pic of this car...brx..I looked into this car also an was really expensive to import.

Cheers
Jamie Gonzalez

1/8 oldschool 10-29-2009 06:01 PM

The BRX4 Red Ball is the best looking R/C car chassis I have ever seen http://rcretro.comhas a page with pictures of the classic chassis popular in Europe and links to thier websites

*1speedy 10-29-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by senna555 (Post 6538880)
Argh....

Point with monster truck class and truggies was that it ruined it for the basher type racer. Monster truck were no longer competitive and thus ruining the class for the basher...same thing happened in touring car,200mm sedan etc.

Point is car need to be basic..point from the beginning.

Isnt their a thread about gt cars already. I am sure your time would be better spent their or on the who gives a s@%t thread.

Enjoy your gt race seems like you got something going in your area..good luck with that.

I dont think anyone posted a pic of this car...brx..I looked into this car also an was really expensive to import.

Cheers
Jamie Gonzalez

Arghhh... My azz

Now you try and play some magic trick to defending your last brainstorm statement on bashing M trucks and truggy’s are you for real? You always have this so called POINT that defends one of your statements and criticizes yourself all at the same time. So in all this you are saying and I quote "Point is car need to be basic..Point from the beginning" Then what’s with all the BS in ALL YOUR LAST 10 STATEMENTS.

Who started bashing GT's ON THIS THREAD could it be senna, who started bashing buggy’s on this thread Master idiot senna, who bashed truggy’s, monster trucks, and whatever this wanna be non chassis tuning helmet head wearing MFer felt like bashing could it be senna? Why don’t you do us all a favor and you start a who gives a @#$%^&* thread about whatever you don’t like today and leave us alone you arrogant azzhole. I can’t wait to someday meet your arrogant punk azz and see if you still have these massive internet muscles that just make so many new RC peeps want to actually race at your track LMAO. As to you trying to keep face on this thread and put a little picture in here or there plzzzz ... Talk about the topic on thread and no one will mess with you, get off topic and be ready to be called out. Keep it up Master Idiot………

T-BODZ Terry B. 10-29-2009 07:23 PM

Here you Go Dale & Juan...

4 Attachment(s)

As promissed, here's a few from the shop and a couple of Brand new ones.
Couldn't forget a stack of Elfins, Nissan and the Greenwood Corvette.
In the last picture you'll see a portion of a Formula 1 body as you mentioned
in your post earlier. 1/8 Scale Open Wheel Cars can Launch pretty high when
they brush up against each other...

Take care!

Terry

*1speedy 10-29-2009 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 6538745)
I think the stars of GT racing will be GT racers, any "Pros" that come into North American style GT class racing will have to drive what "we" drive too.:lol::)

Pan-Car guys....

senna opened his "pie-hole" trashing the GT cars and your thread went south.......

I wish you guys all the best with the new class, once you get it rolling, don't let anyone trash talk what your doing and it will grow well too.

+1 To What Jspeed said hope your class does Great !!!

Taylorm 10-29-2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 6534316)
Agreed. While I like suspension, the appeal to me for this class is the rugged, reliable, low maintenance design and cheap motors. I love full blown, balls to the wall 1/8th scale racing but it is a LOT of work.

.....agreed also.i have an old Associated RC250 ready to go with a cheap O.S. VG .21........:nod:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d.../RC2502001.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/RC250004.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/RC250001.jpg

Taylorm 10-29-2009 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by garen (Post 6538310)
Another thing to note on the keeping it simple angle is that the 2wd pan cars, to the best of my knowledge, all use a single speed tranny, and off road type clutch systems, which are much easier to adjust and maintain.

........ exactly,......there is basically nothing to maintain with an off road style clutch.......replace shoes...springs.........today you almost have to be a rocket scientist to keep a good tune on a 1/8 4WD clutch......try explaining clutch gap and endplay to any prospective racers that happen to stop by any track...they will look at you like :confused::lol:

Taylorm 10-29-2009 07:56 PM

http://www.historicrc.com/index.htm

the orange McLaren is BEAUTIFUL.......:nod:

*1speedy 10-29-2009 11:04 PM

Wow I have to agree that orange McLaren looks incredible!!!

J.Gonzalez 10-30-2009 03:58 AM

Good luck with that...my opinion will be my opinion in person or not.

I would be happy to explain it to you in person.

I race in the northeast my full name is Jamie Gonzalez been in the hobby for a long time and I think I been around long enough to spot a fad.

Again happy to explain it to you in person.

Perfect example we had a hard core offroad guy buy a used 1/8, guy can drive and drove well, however I could see his head start to spin when going thru importance of clutch maintenance,2speed shifting point, rollout, tire stagger.

For a beginner class to work got to be simple and handle ok. 2wd pan car seems like a good fit as car have no suspension other than chassis flex, as other noted offroad style clutch,no twospeed and one simple diff.

Trick is getting enough local racers or tracks to invest in the class and support it with perhaps a point series.

Doing this with any "new class" is a challenge. We tried it with the GT car did not work...maybe it will work with 2wd pan cars.

This was Djmachinist "POINT"

"I would love to see a simple 1/8 spec class with spec engines developed in the US. We seem to shoot ourselves in the foot every time we try to start
a spec class in this country. It usaually starts out as a low cost spec class
with inexpensive engines then morphs into a high cost highly competive."

I was agreeing with his "POINT" and using GT car in the area as an example.

djmachinist 10-30-2009 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool (Post 6538983)
The BRX4 Red Ball is the best looking R/C car chassis I have ever seen http://rcretro.comhas a page with pictures of the classic chassis popular in Europe and links to thier websites

If you go to the BRX4 web site they have "Gold" anoldised version of this car.
really nice looking!

Dale

J.Gonzalez 10-30-2009 04:18 AM

Check out the price..ouch!

Looks like it 690 euro with an engine that about a 1k. Ouch.

J.Gonzalez 10-30-2009 04:19 AM

Site also mention that older delta 2pg is still in production.

Anyone have pics of that chassis?

Wondering if modern wheels fit. If you got to mount your own you can forget it as an option.

djmachinist 10-30-2009 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by senna555 (Post 6540888)
Check out the price..ouch!

Looks like it 690 euro with an engine that about a 1k. Ouch.

Yeah, The best deal I have found so far is the Motonica P8C. It also is the most advanced design excluding The DXF car's diffuser feature. The Motonica
from Garen can be had for $200.00 or so less. The cost for DFX for the Vortex (with diffuser) is about 450 euros or $670.00. I do not know what the Vortex Primo (without diffuser) verson cost, shoul be a little cheaper.

The motonica P8C is the second version Motonica has produced. The older car
looks like the DXF car. same type front end and rear end. The new P8C also can be converted to the Motonica P8F which is the soon to be released 4wd version of this car. They are also going to sell a P8F conversion kit to retrofit the 2wd version. Their idea here is to offer a entry level 4WD car that would be stronger and easier to set up than full blown 4WD car.

Dale

djmachinist 10-30-2009 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by senna555 (Post 6540893)
Site also mention that older delta 2pg is still in production.

Anyone have pics of that chassis?

Wondering if modern wheels fit. If you got to mount your own you can forget it as an option.

The P2G Delta Car is a full suspension car not a pan car. I ran for Delta for years back "In the Day". Bill and Ken Campbell were really talented and class
people.

Dale

J.Gonzalez 10-30-2009 04:46 AM

Price is going make it a challenge to get it to catch on.

Car would need to retail around 300$ and novarossi makes an engine 150-200$ range to make it work.

djmachinist 10-30-2009 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by senna555 (Post 6540937)
Price is going make it a challenge to get it to catch on.

Car would need to retail around 300$ and novarossi makes an engine 150-200$ range to make it work.

I do not think we are going to get the price down to $300.00, Maybe in the $425.00 to 450.00 range. Novarossi already sells an on-road 3-port engine for less than $200.00. Garen stated that they will have a Nova based engine next year that will sell for less than $200.00. Twenty five years ago the Associated RC-300BD (with ball diff) had a street price of around $300.00.

Dale

djmachinist 10-30-2009 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by T-BODZ Terry B. (Post 6539375)

Take care!

Terry

Terry,
In the mist of the warring that was going on, I completely missed this posting, wow!! neat vintage, two brand new Associated RC-300BDs and
2 Brand new K&B 21s. Cool Stuff!!!:D

Dale

JLock 10-30-2009 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by T-BODZ Terry B. (Post 6539375)

Take care!

Terry

Thanks for the pics of the vintage 1/8th scale pan cars. It brings back some vague memories when I first got into r/c serious and was wondering what those cars were. Once I found out, I know it wasn't for me (way to expense for me).:nod:

1/8 oldschool 10-30-2009 08:50 AM

Keeping it in check ?

O.K. let's say this class does catch on ( which I REALLY hope it does ) Let's hear some suggestions on not "shooting ourselves in the foot" again and allowing it to morph into something undisireable.

JLock 10-30-2009 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool (Post 6541752)
O.K. let's say this class does catch on ( which I REALLY hope it does ) Let's hear some suggestions on not "shooting ourselves in the foot" again and allowing it to morph into something undisireable.

Unfortunately, you, I, and the rest of us know that it will eventually morph due to the tendencies of many racers that have deeper pockets than many of their fellow racers and can afford the hottest engines, gobs of bling, or can have custom-made parts manufactured for their car (via a friend with a CNC machine). It really boils down to developing rules for the class and sticking with them in the beginning and making ammendments as time and/or the situation progresses or allowing racers to totally disregard the established rules and run off the racers that abide by the rules. All classes from electric 1/12th scale to gas 1/5th scale suffers from this same dilema no matter where you race.

wingracer 10-30-2009 09:19 AM

It should be easy to keep it simple. No independent suspension, 3 port motors, things like that should make it like 1/12th where nothing significant ever really changes.

Jspeed 10-30-2009 11:45 AM

Here are a few suggestions from my experience learned from almost 4 years invested in GT class racing that might help you guys too. Sorry for the long post, but this is really the most important thing you'll need to remember for your new class to prosper, OK:)

Do not let anyone call it a “beginner” class, EVER!

If your intent for development of this new class is to lower operational costs, attract new racers and keep racers in our sport during this uncertain economic climate, don’t let anyone “brand” you class the wrong way.

The terminology of “beginner’s class” will make those racing within you new class treated like “second class” citizens at you events by “elitist” jerk-offs that will voice negative opinions against your new class.

As soon as someone starts to look down their nose at your class and tries to de-value or insinuate that your class as not as important as the status quo of RC, be ready to shut them up; no mater who they think they are, make them shut up and go away or wish they never spoke out against your class. .

Start with one “brand” of chassis only.

Your new class will take off better with a “level playing field” that will emphasize true driver ability, not deepest pockets or the “50% sponsored” guys.

A single chassis system will also help your racer’s purchasing power and available parts supply at shops & races.

If the Motonica is available at a good price, why not make it the chassis. Garren seems to be very supportive of the class and that is a great starting point.:)

Be prepaired for the “political outcry” from those that always look for an unfair advantage to win. These individuals care more about winning and/or personal financial gain from your hard efforts.

Once you have a strong group racing in your new class, then you can introduce other chassis to the mix; providing they are similar in design and track performance.

If you allow a chassis that offers too much of an advantage, your class will suffer by forcing more investment from your racers, so beware of that too.

Make your rules and enforce them to the letter.
Your rules are your rules, set them to be fair and try them for a race season.

If any changes are made, make sure that they are for durability factors not additional speed advantage that would cause everyone to spend more money to be competitive in your class.

Your class may also be infiltrated with guys that love to brag about having 75 years experience in their “hobby” lol.

They are usually set in their ways, part of the “status quo” and really don’t care your new direction for our sport. If you flex your rules to accommodate these “more experienced masters of nothing” your class will suffer the fate of every other R/C class that spirals out of control in cost.

In closing, setting up any new class is not that hard in comparison to the countless battles you’ll face from people that will try to bad mouth it or call it a “beginner’s class”.

A perfect example is our friend senna here on this thread and his bad attitude towards GT class nitro racing.

Best of luck with your new class, hope it grows well too! :nod:

wingracer 10-30-2009 11:56 AM

Despite the obvious attitude in that post (not complaining, just pointing it out :D) that is all very good advice.

I would add (which you kinda said but not directly) RULES STABILITY. Pick the rules and stick to them. If a manufacturer makes a car or motor or whatever that doesn't fit the letter OR spirit of the rules, outlaw it.

Jspeed 10-30-2009 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 6542441)
Despite the obvious attitude in that post (not complaining, just pointing it out :D) that is all very good advice.

I would add (which you kinda said but not directly) RULES STABILITY. Pick the rules and stick to them. If a manufacturer makes a car or motor or whatever that doesn't fit the letter OR spirit of the rules, outlaw it.

+1 :nod:

djmachinist 10-30-2009 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 6541892)
It should be easy to keep it simple. No independent suspension, 3 port motors, things like that should make it like 1/12th where nothing significant ever really changes.

I agree, lets keep the rules simple, 3 port motors, no idependent suspension and a weight limit min. of 5 lb. . That pretty well limits it right there.

Dale

J.Gonzalez 10-30-2009 12:46 PM

Some of the pics show high end engine in the 2wd cars..seems odd to do that.

I am sure if someone could find the euro rules on line they could be translated online to get an idea of what their rules/limits are.

Cheap and basic 3port engine is a must if it is going to geared toward budget racer/newbie.

To bad we are going into the winter in northeast...tempted to call up Garen but sadly the car will sit on shelf until spring.

Raman 10-30-2009 01:28 PM

If you want to attract newbies to racing a low cost spec class…, I do suggest using bodies that look like current Le Mans cars, Audi Le Mans TDI, Bentley Le Mans etc.

Scale realism should be an intricate part of the class you are trying to create. It’s 2 wheel drive like real Le Mans cars. Make sure the bodies look real too it will add to the charm of the class.

Will avoid the GT class bodies as an expample.. but in turn will add: HPI is doing pretty good with their vintage class and now they are gaining momentum with their cup racer class that has great looking 60s / 70s bodies.

1/8 on roaders all run the same Lola type body with a few variations for improved aerodynamics.. to them it will look different but to the newbie.. it all looks the same. On-road guys love them because they handle great.

The newbie that’s watching the race and on the fence to invest isn’t going to say to himself.. that purple and neon pink Lola body was so cool, it was just like watching Le Mans series.

Remember people come into this hobby for their love of cars and most of us can’t afford to collect cars nor race them.

Serpent-Dan 10-30-2009 01:45 PM

+1:nod:

Taylorm 10-30-2009 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 6542399)
Start with one “brand” of chassis only.

:

..........WRONG.........

J.Gonzalez 10-30-2009 02:38 PM

Current crop of bodies 909 and Zytec actually have a resemblance to Lemans cars...more so than previous designs

Accurate looking scale bodies tend to handle poorly but look nice..they need to be massaged a fair amount for rc application as the car are not really accurate to their scale.

Limiting chassis or manufacturer can be a problem better to have well defined specifications. They pretty much already have all this stuff figured out in Europe..just need to get a copy of their rules and regulations and go from that point. No reason to reinvent the :tire:.

Taylorm 10-30-2009 03:50 PM

.solid rear axle......
.3-port motors......
off road-type clutch....no centax......
.single speed..........
.bodies.....up for debate..........all=CHEAP.......:nod:

Roelof 10-30-2009 03:56 PM

An 3 port engine is a very difficult rule. Such an engine can be modified to almost the performance of the high end engines, de number of ports does not tell anything about the performance of an engine.

wingracer 10-30-2009 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 6543134)
An 3 port engine is a very difficult rule. Such an engine can be modified to almost the performance of the high end engines, de number of ports does not tell anything about the performance of an engine.

I agree but I say three port because they are CHEAP. Even spending the money to have it modded is still cheaper than a stock Flash.

DogboneS 10-30-2009 05:26 PM

Is the Motonica P8C available online?

J.Gonzalez 10-30-2009 07:19 PM

This is the engine is was thinking would work

http://www.novarossi.it/eng/products...-3T&brand=nova

Also looks like it use r7 rod..so it should be a tank