Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
.I used the regular...it held for a few runs..then let go.....I thought I was done for the day then Mastermind Davis to the rescue...did the 'ole blacksmith trick...peened the aluminum hub (you made) corners over the end with a punch and hammer...Genius Rick is...
Old 06-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Oy veh

Well...we're hoping to make the next club race. Buried in work and other stuff, such is life.

I may have a handle on my gear issues. No, I still don't know what the final drive is, everything still in a box from the last run, but I found some Revo gears that should work. None of the Edam or Kyosho gears will get the job done given the reduction by the diff and the fact it was made for a car with much larger tires. However (see, there's always a however, and while I'm at it, someone give Lon a shake and wake him up) the 43 tooth worked somewhat at Portage and not very well at all at Toledo, but I now have a 40 and a 38 to work with. The problems now are I have to readjust everything to make the mesh fit, which means redesigning/fab a rear trans mount, and make a hub to hold the gear. Not sure if I have the time to get it done for the next run but I'll give it a whirl, and I'll probably start out with the 38 since I can always dump a gear or two on the pinion if I go too far the wrong way. Meh.

AND...got a new engine ordered up to go on a SuperJ for the GLC. The only problem I have now is, what to run.....

See, on the one hand, I really want to run the prototype and see if it can hold its own. It did well at Portage, but Toledo is a bigger track, the GLC a bigger event, and the thing needs proved. We're trying to do something with NEW pan and get NEW interest, so that's what I should be driving and pushing.

On the other hand (there's always another hand) I know of at least one other guy showing up with a SuperJ, and maybe Rick'll bend and run a pan himself. Hmm. Old Associated guy with a pan....what if he decided to run an old Associated? How could I not run the J with that matchup? Yeah, I know, I'm sure I'll get waxed, but there aren't too many more chances for vintage to take the track, and Associated vs. Delta was always a good matchup way back when. If someone would put an old MRP out there as well, THAT'D be a race! Mike Myers would take pics (yes Lon, I'd stand for that), maybe do a nice writeup...and maybe get some more guys to run, either with vintage or with new stuff.

By the way, while I'm thinking about it....Matt, I know you can't run Saturday, but are you going to come run with us Sunday at the GLC? I know you don't like the thought of 40 bucks for one day, but it's a long main, should be a big one too...last year that main was full and this year promises to be better still. C'mon...live a little....
Old 06-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
By the way, while I'm thinking about it....Matt, I know you can't run Saturday, but are you going to come run with us Sunday at the GLC? I know you don't like the thought of 40 bucks for one day, but it's a long main, should be a big one too...last year that main was full and this year promises to be better still. C'mon...live a little....
.probably not gonna do Sunday only..40 bux for 1 run???...Is there any final practice in the AM Sunday before mains???....If i could at least run for a couple tanks in the AM to make sure everything is good...then MIGHT possibly run Sunday...Is it too late for entry fee to be submitted??....OR..ill just show and help out where needed....and oh yeah...my pan has been around 5.8 to 6.1 Final Drive Ratio...
Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

.probably not gonna do Sunday only..40 bux for 1 run???...Is there any final practice in the AM Sunday before mains???....If i could at least run for a couple tanks in the AM to make sure everything is good...then MIGHT possibly run Sunday...Is it too late for entry fee to be submitted??....OR..ill just show and help out where needed....and oh yeah...my pan has been around 5.8 to 6.1 Final Drive Ratio...
It's not too late for entry fees (which reminds me, I need to submit mine as well) and you could always get in a few laps Friday or Saturday evening. Not that you're gonna need it, right? You know your car, you know the track. C'mon....live a little....it's going to be a FUN pan race. In any event, I'm sure there's a little time either in the evenings or in the mornings to squeeze in a few laps, Ted would know better than I when the best times are, and don't forget there's a lot of good raffle stuff, including (ahem) an Edam 4wd 1/8 kit. Which is worth more than 40 bucks. Just throwing that out there....I think this years GLC will be really good, but I'm feeling super optimistic about the turnout for pan.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Default Oops

By the way, if you need pit space, you can hang with us.....
Old 06-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
By the way, if you need pit space, you can hang with us.....
...should I bring my brass knuckles and nun chucks.....to ward off the Pennsylvania posse??
Old 06-24-2013, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

Default That's Racing!

First practice at first race at the new Port Jervis N.Y. track and my RB Concepts motor's piston decides to crumble into a hundred pieces. Thinking about a Nova Rossi 3 port off road as a replacement. Some advice please on what I should put into my Motonica P8C.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
First practice at first race at the new Port Jervis N.Y. track and my RB Concepts motor's piston decides to crumble into a hundred pieces. Thinking about a Nova Rossi 3 port off road as a replacement. Some advice please on what I should put into my Motonica P8C.
....a 3 or 5 port Rossi wold be perfect...(and cheaper$)..Anything more is too much...I have an older Picco G1 7 port...it hits too hard off the bottom...makes these suckers difficult to drive....I believe the motors that Motonica were selling with their kits were 3 port Rossi's??....Lon or Joe P.....that correct....and they run and run....
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-Plug
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Standard-Plug
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I too am wondering about motors. I have seen that the French guys run onroad motors, like the Orion CRF R21, O.S.21XZ-R, and I have seen a Motonica with a Novarossi Kappo.

I really dont want to talk about who's right or wrong, about how on road motors are overkill, etc. I really would like to know why they use these motors, and what the technical explanation is for having that much power under control. One top racer even said he wont run Novarossi on road engines because they dont have enough punch. Again, I just want to know why there is so much disparity of opinion on the motor choice.

My only thought is that the track layouts are so different in Europe. (?) Any thoughts? Or is it similar to 1/12 electric racing, in that only a pro can handle the mod motors, all based on throttle control?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Engines for Pan

Originally Posted by MrHistory
I too am wondering about motors. I have seen that the French guys run onroad motors, like the Orion CRF R21, O.S.21XZ-R, and I have seen a Motonica with a Novarossi Kappo.

I really dont want to talk about who's right or wrong, about how on road motors are overkill, etc. I really would like to know why they use these motors, and what the technical explanation is for having that much power under control. One top racer even said he wont run Novarossi on road engines because they dont have enough punch. Again, I just want to know why there is so much disparity of opinion on the motor choice.

My only thought is that the track layouts are so different in Europe. (?) Any thoughts? Or is it similar to 1/12 electric racing, in that only a pro can handle the mod motors, all based on throttle control?
Obviously this is a can of worms, but...When we started discussing this class in the US (Toledo) a few years ago it grew from Matt & Patrick, attempting to run vintage and Lon having the Moto P8C's. The idea was a entry/sportsman level class that would be simpler and cheaper than 4wd.
Rules were worked out that specified the 3port off-road type engine with a cost under $250. For many reasons the class has just coasted along with a mix of engines being used without issues. It seems the driver is by far the most important element in lap times...go figure!

The majority of the engines being used in Toledo are Nova based, 3ports that came as a combo from Garen in CA. As was stated before they seem to be plenty fast and durable. I know of one car using a Kangaroo with a restrictor in the carb. Last July I ran a O'Donnel 3port and felt it to be competitive.

I believe the Europeans use 7 port on-road motors. Perhaps the class is thought of as more as an competition class than and entry/sportsman class, so they want the additional power. As you say the tracks are much different which may play a part. We were trying to limit the speed and cost by the restriction on engines.

Now on to the editorial comments.

My thoughts are that the class needs to be restricted to 3 port motors to keep it slower and cheaper. While the results so far would indicate that the extra power is not an advantage, to my knowledge, the best drivers have not used the more powerful motors and I contend that more power, used properly, will be a considerable advantage. I would also like to see the class use different, more realistic, bodies, but that is another subject!!!

Hopefully some of the racers across the pond can tell us the history...

Last edited by aarcobra; 06-24-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

All I know is the RB engine that was in my P8C was a five port motor specificly made for the 2wd classique class and I felt it was too fast, I had the smallest restricter I could purchase in it to slow it down.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrHistory

....I think the Europeans use the killer motors because they can....perfectly smooth large flowing tracks with NO CURBS....when they run off they laugh then blow the grass off......
Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default Heh

...should I bring my brass knuckles and nun chucks.....to ward off the Pennsylvania posse??
Nah...remember, we're southern Ohio rednecks, not much we can't handle. Besides which, I've ventured into the valley of the shadow of death (I was married) so I fear no evil.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
All I know is the RB engine that was in my P8C was a five port motor specificly made for the 2wd classique class and I felt it was too fast, I had the smallest restricter I could purchase in it to slow it down.
i used the "kit " motor for a while but i think my kangaroo runs smoother and is about all the power you would need. but if some sort of national rules mandated a spec motor i would be on board with it as well.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Does anyone know about the "Rally" Kangaroo? What the differences are with the normal Kango, and if it would be a good option?

http://www.absolutehobbyz.com/produc...oducts_id=5373

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.