R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/339398-european-2wd-1-8th-pan-car-road-classic-class.html)

5italkart 04-26-2015 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool (Post 13979437)
The town chose to not renew the the contract with John Fernandez who brought the idea to the city and used his own money to create the track. The track is in a town park and this section of the park was evidently not being used.From what I have heard John wanted a portion of his out lay reimbursed and the town balked at this.When it was time to renew the contract with him the town council chose not to.

i bet in europe the city would have helped him not dump on him

1/8 oldschool 04-27-2015 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by 5italkart (Post 13980223)

It seems very odd that a town has a piece of property it's doing nothing with and someone will help you turn it into a profitable area (the town got a cut from the race fees that were collected for each event), then doesn't want to keep this venture going. There had to be many underlying and behind the seen things going on that I'm sure will never come to light.

Taylorm 04-27-2015 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool (Post 13979437)
The town chose to not renew the the contract with John Fernandez who brought the idea to the city and used his own money to create the track. The track is in a town park and this section of the park was evidently not being used.From what I have heard John wanted a portion of his out lay reimbursed and the town balked at this.When it was time to renew the contract with him the town council chose not to.

Too bad... Wanted to try to get there this year...

5italkart 04-27-2015 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Taylorm (Post 13981267)
Too bad... Wanted to try to get there this year...

our local off road track is at park/zoo sort of a place, they get it rent free since the owner considers it another attraction. this would seem similar too his deal. when matt wins the lottery i'm certain we'll have a huge track!!!

Taylorm 04-27-2015 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 5italkart (Post 13982185)
our local off road track is at park/zoo sort of a place, they get it rent free since the owner considers it another attraction. this would seem similar too his deal. when matt wins the lottery i'm certain we'll have a huge track!!!

YUP.. European style ribbon track....kegs and stripper poles in the pits

1/8 IC Fan 04-28-2015 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by 5italkart (Post 13980223)

Thats a fact. There is a lot of support via the localities for recreational events and areas. This is not just in regards to R/C, yet also BMX tracks, Skateparks, Playgrounds etc.

- On another note, I am sure some of you have older 1/8 F1 bodies from Parma, SG, AE and such, but has anyone tried the Delta Plastik "Parma cloned" bodies yet? Curious to see which bodies are able to best fit the current chassis available, without having to pair the body too much.

djiewie 04-29-2015 07:41 AM

Been reading this post for a while and have some experience with the first pancar, i think from serpent, the MK3 nitro pancar. in the early days.

One thing wich was a issue when i raced the MK3 in the 80`s was the topspeed in regard to the new 4wd quatro. The 2wd pancars need the 2 speed to mingle with the 4wd versions on the track. If 2 speed is approved i can see me driving these pancars again also. The differance in top speed was really scary in my days then.:weird: But one couldn`t install it on the MK3.
But with these new 2wd designs its really easy to do. It will also get the rev`s down from the engine, wich where really much higher those days. compared with the 2speed cars.

Why not?:blush:

1/8 IC Fan 04-29-2015 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by djiewie (Post 13985100)
Been reading this post for a while and have some experience with the first pancar, i think from serpent, the MK3 nitro pancar. in the early days.

One thing wich was a issue when i raced the MK3 in the 80`s was the topspeed in regard to the new 4wd quatro. The 2wd pancars need the 2 speed to mingle with the 4wd versions on the track. If 2 speed is approved i can see me driving these pancars again also. The differance in top speed was really scary in my days then.:weird: But one couldn`t install it on the MK3.
But with these new 2wd designs its really easy to do. It will also get the rev`s down from the engine, wich where really much higher those days. compared with the 2speed cars.

Why not?:blush:

We used to have 2wd IC cars that had 2 speeds, not only in 1:8 but also 1:10 There were many 2wd Impacts, 835's the 1:8 we had the Vector. Yet these, at times required more concentration to drive well, were still manageble, a Pan car with a 2 speed could easily be much more of a handful, given that you no longer have the suspension which on previous cars could be adjusted to prevent / hinder traction loss during a hard shift.

Yet this is beside the point of the class, its meant to be simpler and enjoyable, not to be able to run with the 4wd cars. In all the years that the class has been running in Europe no one has put a 2speed on a 2wd pan car, and over there they run hot 7 & 9 port on-road motors in their 2wd Cars.

The chassis should stay simple, easy to maintain, and most of all fun to run, with less wear and tear on the components.

MrHistory 04-29-2015 02:57 PM

Hey All,

I wanted to invite everyone to check out our sale over at Irwin R.C.

http://www.irwinrc.com/default.asp

Im happy to have been in touch with some new members of the pan car family here is the U.S. for the 2015, and to have more cars getting out to drivers excited to join us this year.

Over on the WRC GT Due page I have posted a Pre Order special for GT Due EVO kits. I am currently preparing next weeks order with WRC, and want to hear from anyone interested in a new kit for this spring. The sale runs through May 6, with a great price on the EVO, as well as 15% all WRC parts. Also, there are a number of sold out items that I can be order by May 6th at sale price. Please email me through our website or send a pm here if there is something you want to have for May.

As a side note, the new WRC GTX 4WD will also be arriving with this shipment, and the Pre Order sale is as good as it will get.

See you at the track! -Jason

Das 1/8th Mopar 04-29-2015 08:27 PM

2wd in Midwest USA

In the Midwest people are starting to see the plus in the pan car. It's simple and we like it that way. We really don't went them to be 4wd fast. I'd like to think as 4wd=major league, 2wd=minor league, they shouldn't mix.

When we race our pan cars, the fastest and slowest car is a pan. Every driver has to learn to apply smooth throttle. they're cheaper (slower) motors prevent the car from breaking as quickly as a 4wd missile. You adjust them with your eye ball cause it's a drivers car. It rewards the driver with track time rather then set up time.

By no means is it a slug. Plus the fastest driver and the slowest driver are having a blast.

Our hobby could only benefit by having a strong 2wd program running along side the other classes.:nod:

Let's race some more!!

Johnson40 04-30-2015 04:26 AM

+1 1/8 IC Fan

5italkart 05-01-2015 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar (Post 13986358)
In the Midwest people are starting to see the plus in the pan car. It's simple and we like it that way. We really don't went them to be 4wd fast. I'd like to think as 4wd=major league, 2wd=minor league, they shouldn't mix.

When we race our pan cars, the fastest and slowest car is a pan. Every driver has to learn to apply smooth throttle. they're cheaper (slower) motors prevent the car from breaking as quickly as a 4wd missile. You adjust them with your eye ball cause it's a drivers car. It rewards the driver with track time rather then set up time.

By no means is it a slug. Plus the fastest driver and the slowest driver are having a blast.

Our hobby could only benefit by having a strong 2wd program running along side the other classes.:nod:

Let's race some more!!

i agree perfect place for the sportsman racer i hope it helps get some more interest in on road. was just thinking today of the huge turn outs at detroit club races "back in the day"

MidnightflyerII 05-07-2015 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar (Post 13986358)

Let's race some more!!

Well said Lon!!! Last Sunday was the second week in a row we had two heats of pan cars. Midwest Race coming we should have even more:)

MidnightflyerII 05-07-2015 08:40 AM

Follow up on Sunday's race. We had a variety of pan cars in the races, There were 5 WRC Evos, 3 WRC Dues, 2 Motonicas, Phil and Tom's (Indestructible Tank) and Matt's Custom Built. There were were a lot great battles in the Heat's and the Main's. Seemed like everyone had a good time, a great group of guys, all willing to help and share information to help each other get better (My observation).

Special Shout Out to Canadian JOE, come on down, you're the next contestant (Miss having you race with us)

Taylorm 05-07-2015 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by MidnightflyerII (Post 13997671)
Follow up on Sunday's race. We had a variety of pan cars in the races, There were 5 WRC Evos, 3 WRC Dues, 2 Motonicas, Phil and Tom's (Indestructible Tank) and Matt's Custom Built. There were were a lot great battles in the Heat's and the Main's. Seemed like everyone had a good time, a great group of guys, all willing to help and share information to help each other get better (My observation).

Special Shout Out to Canadian JOE, come on down, you're the next contestant (Miss having you race with us)

Custom crap....:weird:...we need to revisit putting the 31st back on the schedule now that there is no JERVIS race../track...:cry:

Rick Davis 05-07-2015 12:31 PM

Today's Weird Idea

With the pan car faction in the Toledo club becoming so strong is it time for someone to step up and propose / oraganize the U.S. Pan car National Chamionships ?? Bet Jason would step up to sponsor :nod::nod:

Farmer_John 05-08-2015 06:52 AM

I had a great time Sunday!

Then I remembered I could go fast.

There will be more racing this season!

5italkart 05-09-2015 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by MidnightflyerII (Post 13997671)

will be there next club race, i have a sort of custom pan not quite done so it's masters for me till then. great to here of the growing field of cars also that phils still in the running. i bet if there was a pan car nats toledo would be the place since in reality thats where it really started all thanks to sr.

1/8 oldschool 05-15-2015 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Taylorm (Post 13997896)
Custom crap....:weird:...we need to revisit putting the 31st back on the schedule now that there is no JERVIS race../track...:cry:

John Fernandez the owner/operator of the track at Port Jervis is ,as I have heard , putting a track together in Middletown N.Y. (where his shop is I think),he is trying to have it up and running for this season!

Das 1/8th Mopar 06-07-2015 06:28 PM

Great News!

5itakart made his return to Toledo! While he ran a cheater car (shocks and 4wd), it was cool just the same.:nod:

5italkart 06-08-2015 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar (Post 14043968)
5itakart made his return to Toledo! While he ran a cheater car (shocks and 4wd), it was cool just the same.:nod:

thanks for the welcome, driving home in the rain storm was no fun. and i may be S.O.L on parts for the 966. i posted on our canadian site about the class for the elec. guys lots of them here. off to the "lab" this vac. stuff is great! PS matts home brew car runs nice.:nod:

Das 1/8th Mopar 06-14-2015 09:55 PM

MOTONICA RULES!!

Motonica P8Cs and 3-port motors take 1st and 2nd at round 2 of The Midwest Series in Portage In. :cool:

1/8 IC Fan 06-15-2015 12:10 AM

Yall should post some pics ala the ENS guys - MNS (Midwest Nitro Series) ;)

Johnson40 06-15-2015 05:11 AM

That's a great idea! Please do post some pictures...

Johnson40 06-15-2015 05:17 AM

Yesterday I drove my P8C for the 2nd time on my hometrack (http://www.amcaracing.nl/). 40shore front tires, 30 shore rear. The car is still twitchy but great fun to drive! I've ordered 45sh and 50sh front tires and will try the as soon as I have received them.

Hardly any tire wear and 8 minutes of (f)runtime per tank (^_^)

Das 1/8th Mopar 06-15-2015 07:44 AM

50s

Originally Posted by Johnson40 (Post 14054082)
Yesterday I drove my P8C for the 2nd time on my hometrack (http://www.amcaracing.nl/). 40shore front tires, 30 shore rear. The car is still twitchy but great fun to drive! I've ordered 45sh and 50sh front tires and will try the as soon as I have received them.

Hardly any tire wear and 8 minutes of (f)runtime per tank (^_^)

50s are where you went to be. Running an older Matra body with less down force in Portage, I tried 45s again (hoping to us up some 45s), it proved once again to be a mistake. I've watched a super fast drive run super fast on 35s, but the rest of us are going to enjoy the less steering of the 50s, plus they last forever (almost).

Don't know if anyone took any pictures of the racing but I'll see if I can dig something up. Midwest Series has a RC Tech Forum, web page, and face book. Plus I forgot how getting picture on here works. We'll try;)

1/8 IC Fan 06-16-2015 05:25 AM

So, I am curious, but I am pretty sure I know the answer. Who is running older body styles, Lola (me), Frisbee, Can Am etc. like the Delta Plastik ones. I have been itching to get their Ferrari T4 and an Tyrell F1 body for a chassis I had just restored, and they have been out of stock for ever now. Has anyone been able to source such vintage bodies lately - I know its hard to race those non "aero - advantage" bodies, but I am trying to put an open wheeler together.

As a note, I have emailed and have not heard anything back as of a month ago. I have contacted DXF in France and may be able to pick up some bodies from them when I go overseas in a couple months.

..."Open Wheeler, Open Wheeler..." :D

Johnson40 06-18-2015 01:51 AM

Motonica P8C

http://i60.tinypic.com/kf01w8.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/ejih3b.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/149vwnn.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/2cgnatk.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2zyil3k.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/10561c3.jpg

aarcobra 06-18-2015 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan (Post 14055742)
So, I am curious, but I am pretty sure I know the answer. Who is running older body styles, Lola (me), Frisbee, Can Am etc. like the Delta Plastik ones. I have been itching to get their Ferrari T4 and an Tyrell F1 body for a chassis I had just restored, and they have been out of stock for ever now. Has anyone been able to source such vintage bodies lately - I know its hard to race those non "aero - advantage" bodies, but I am trying to put an open wheeler together.

..."Open Wheeler, Open Wheeler..." :D

OK I'll bite! lol I too would like to run older body styles. Although the original discussions for starting the pan class included older bodies in the "talked about rules", that, as well as running old style pan cars was not adopted. Unless some kind of agreement can be made to change body styles, I guess we are stuck with the current situation. Since some of us can only run a few races a year (club racing is hard to find!) conforming is probably the best route. I have seen your call for open wheel bodies and would love to run them! But without four or five committed to use them I don't see them running with the current modern pans. What I would like to see is an "Exhibition Class" of old style pans run at the MWS and GLC races and running open wheel bodies could be suggested or required. With the series allowing low count classes to compete, electric and GT 8, for example, this may be a possibility if we could get 3 to 5 to show up.
I am working on two old pans and one will for sure have an open wheel body, hopefully at Toledo!! I want to run old style GT bodies on my WRC and hope to try one out there too!

Let's see what happens!!

Ned

gary47 06-19-2015 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by aarcobra (Post 14059530)
OK I'll bite! lol I too would like to run older body styles. Although the original discussions for starting the pan class included older bodies in the "talked about rules", that, as well as running old style pan cars was not adopted. Unless some kind of agreement can be made to change body styles, I guess we are stuck with the current situation. Since some of us can only run a few races a year (club racing is hard to find!) conforming is probably the best route. I have seen your call for open wheel bodies and would love to run them! But without four or five committed to use them I don't see them running with the current modern pans. What I would like to see is an "Exhibition Class" of old style pans run at the MWS and GLC races and running open wheel bodies could be suggested or required. With the series allowing low count classes to compete, electric and GT 8, for example, this may be a possibility if we could get 3 to 5 to show up.
I am working on two old pans and one will for sure have an open wheel body, hopefully at Toledo!! I want to run old style GT bodies on my WRC and hope to try one out there too!

Let's see what happens!!

Ned

HEY Ned count me in for open wheel body run, lets try in Toledo race July. Gary:nod:

5italkart 06-20-2015 05:12 PM

have my rc400 with elfin bod ready for action

Das 1/8th Mopar 06-20-2015 08:48 PM

WE ALL BETTER RUN!

Originally Posted by 5italkart (Post 14061752)
have my rc400 with elfin bod ready for action

Look forward to seeing you both!:nod:

5italkart 06-22-2015 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar (Post 14061978)
Look forward to seeing you both!:nod:

chassis worked ok bod looks cool, clutch not so much seems the orig clutch shoes were much more heat resistant. oh well back too work.

Rick Davis 06-22-2015 11:58 AM

Race within a Race

Occurred to me that Joe and Matt can have the international scratchbuilt pan car challenge every Sunday :ha::ha:

Taylorm 06-23-2015 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Davis (Post 14064067)
Occurred to me that Joe and Matt can have the international scratchbuilt pan car challenge every Sunday :ha::ha:

Thats only if i can stop partying to 12:30 in the morning and get out of bed
without almost barfing.....:weird:

Rick Davis 06-23-2015 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Taylorm (Post 14065121)
Thats only if i can stop partying to 12:30 in the morning and get out of bed
without almost barfing.....:weird:

First signs of getting old :ha::ha:

5italkart 06-23-2015 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Davis (Post 14065165)
First signs of getting old :ha::ha:

we'll have to see if he reads the sign's, i had many sat morn at work with a 5 alarm hang over, now bed by 10:ha:

5italkart 06-23-2015 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Davis (Post 14064067)

i think i may have it out of my system for now..heat therapy from the clutch

Taylorm 06-26-2015 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by 5italkart (Post 14065193)
i think i may have it out of my system for now..heat therapy from the clutch

Nuclear meltdown is heat therapy???... Whoodathunkit??

jeff whiting 07-15-2015 02:02 PM

Whiting's

1 Attachment(s)
The Pan class has really heated up in the US Midwest Series. The cars are a blast to run and provide very close racing. Its perfect for me since I have a "few" cars to manage at the track. Ha

Now if I could just keep up with the kids and veterans in the class.

This past weekends results - Noah Belleville 1st, Joe Tuttle 2nd and old me in
3rd.

Fun Stuff

Also, the new REX Legend 5 GTI seems to be perfect in the pan cars. It has really worked our well. All three GTI's installed in cars this past weekend made the top 5 placing 1st, 3rd and 5th.

Go here if you are interested in a Legend 5 and use promo code GTI at checkout. www.LEFComplex.com