Wiki Posts
Search

Greasing

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Greasing

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone lubes their parts and what with...

I'm thinking of greasing up all the swing arms, pivot balls, dog ends etc.

I'm just worried about all the gunk that would collect -- what are your experiences?

-- Aaron.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I lube my cvd's cups with tamiya molyebdenum grease, dirt will get attracted to it just keep an eye on it. If it gets too bad it will accelorate wear and tear on your parts.

I lube my bearings with hudy bearing oil, one way bearing with hudy one way oil, thrust bearing with much more thrust grease all with good results.

I personally wouldn't worry about the suspension arms. Just make sure it's all bind free. For the ball cups again i wouldn't worry about lubing them, but if they are too tight just give them a little squeeze with long nose pliers when installed and that should free them up a bit.

Hope this helps
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

about the only thing I use to lube suspension pins is lock-ease graphited lock fluid.

just pour on a few drops on the pin let it spread out and dry and your done.
It will not attract dirt and is very easy to reapply as needed.

can be found at most harware stores for a couple of bucks on bottle lasts a long time.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i always grease my cvd's, i found it reduces wear. I've run cvd's dry and with grease, they wear out and rust a lot more when you run them dry. I think the lack of grease produces heat, and this damages them also.

people say that grease attracts dirt, but the thing is dirt still gets into a dry cvd, the only problem is, when it's dry, there is no layer to protect the metal to metal contact, and this is what causes the most damage.

think about it, how can a large peice of sand or dirt do damage if it can't really get inside the cvd? but smaller particles of steel and rust will do way more damage, it acts like a fine grit wet and dry sandpaper against the metal

i don't grease the pins though or the pivots, you don't need to
Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ive been experimenting with different lubes. Mainly for the ball bearings. I removed all the bearings and cleaned them out in WD40, then dried them out with mineral turps then let them soak in snap on air tool oil. I warmed the oil up a bit and watched all the air bubbles escape from the bearings and let them soak like this for 48 hours. They now run extremely smooth and there is no dirt to be felt or heard in there.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

grease- thrust bearing, diff out drive, UJ and axle, suspension piston shaft during installation and around second speed shoe cam.

oil- open up all the seals, dish it in Petrol(yeah,car 1:1 fuel), shake it, leave it to dry few hours and oil it with light bearing oil and re-seal it properly
Old 08-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

also take notice when you take apart your cvd's for a rebuild, pay close attention to the inside area where the cvd knuckle contacts the outdrive, you'll notice there isn't any dirt where the metal to metal contact is, you will only find dirt on the outside of the cvd, but there is no real wear and tear on the exposed parts anyway, the wear and tear occurs in the parts that go inside the cvd dogbone, the pin holes, and the internal parts that contact each other. if you grease all of these, they last longer.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by TomB
also take notice when you take apart your cvd's for a rebuild, pay close attention to the inside area where the cvd knuckle contacts the outdrive, you'll notice there isn't any dirt where the metal to metal contact is, you will only find dirt on the outside of the cvd, but there is no real wear and tear on the exposed parts anyway, the wear and tear occurs in the parts that go inside the cvd dogbone, the pin holes, and the internal parts that contact each other. if you grease all of these, they last longer.
+1
Old 08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks all, there's some great info here.