R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Tech Addict
 
PrimeAKF11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Voorhees, NJ
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default If piston gets stuck at TDC, is it a sign that it's not broken in?

I have a question. I've been breaking in my new Picco .12 motor and put about 8 tanks through it. Thing is, when it's cold, it still sometimes gets stuck at TDC when I'm trying to start it. Not always, but sometimes. If I heat it up even a little bit it never gets stuck. It could be my weak starter box (Old duratrax with 12v gel cell powering it), but still.

Is this a sign that it's not broken in yet? I was planning on putting two more tanks through it (10 tanks total) and then tune it for a race this weekend, but I've also heard something like I need to put at least half a gallon through it before tuning it for a race. What do you guys think?
__________________
Best rubber tires>> www.SweepRacingUSA.com
For your Team Magic G4 parts needs>> www.bluesunhobbies.com
HD Videos of Blue Diamond Onroad Raceway!!! 200ft+ straight of fury!! >> http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/406318-2nd-annual-pete-johnson-have-nice-day-memorial-race-5.html
PrimeAKF11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Gonzo RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Picco motors are known for this! I have a Picco .21 with over a gal. thru it and it will still get stuck at the top. I recomend warming up the engine first it will make it easier to start and your starter box will thank you for it!!! run it a bit on the rich side
__________________
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Tech Addict
 
PrimeAKF11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Voorhees, NJ
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo RR View Post
Picco motors are known for this! I have a Picco .21 with over a gal. thru it and it will still get stuck at the top. I recomend warming up the engine first it will make it easier to start and your starter box will thank you for it!!!
Yessir, I do plan on bringing a hair dryer with me for the race . But do you think I can give it a (rich) race tune after 10 tanks?
__________________
Best rubber tires>> www.SweepRacingUSA.com
For your Team Magic G4 parts needs>> www.bluesunhobbies.com
HD Videos of Blue Diamond Onroad Raceway!!! 200ft+ straight of fury!! >> http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/406318-2nd-annual-pete-johnson-have-nice-day-memorial-race-5.html
PrimeAKF11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Gonzo RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeAKF11 View Post
Yessir, I do plan on bringing a hair dryer with me for the race . But do you think I give it a race tune after 10 tanks?
I would run it a bid rich for practice and qualifiers and one hour leaner on the HSN for the main.

It is important to keep the engine runing rich while you are braking it in. The excess oil and lubricants take the stress from moving parts. After half a gal thru it you should be able to tell how the engine comes to life.
__________________
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,277
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Most engines have in a cold conditon a tighter fit of the piston. When it get stuck sometimes when starting it only says there is still a tight fit of the piston but it could be race ready, you only do need to take time to warm up the engine.

8 tanks is not much and it can take a while to get the right fit, when that moment is there the engine will be running at its best.
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
nazwenhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 977
Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default

that is normal for any newly broken in engines. im in the middle of breaking in my picco engine too. almost 2 liters went in and its still tight.

from what i can gather around, picco evo series engines, half gallon is what normally pro racers would say, and they do make a difference in its life time behavior. get it just about 90-100 degree Celsius constant run in on a starter box for another liter or so.

hope this helps
__________________
Serpent S411 TE : ready to race
Tamiya TA05 VDF : sleeping mode
Align 450 sports v2 : tick-tock in progress
nazwenhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
clmbia45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: las vegas, nv
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeAKF11 View Post
I have a question. I've been breaking in my new Picco .12 motor and put about 8 tanks through it. Thing is, when it's cold, it still sometimes gets stuck at TDC when I'm trying to start it. Not always, but sometimes. If I heat it up even a little bit it never gets stuck. It could be my weak starter box (Old duratrax with 12v gel cell powering it), but still.

Is this a sign that it's not broken in yet? I was planning on putting two more tanks through it (10 tanks total) and then tune it for a race this weekend, but I've also heard something like I need to put at least half a gallon through it before tuning it for a race. What do you guys think?
The other thing you can do is loosen the glow plug 1/8 of a turn for start, and tighten it after motor starts.
clmbia45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
nazwenhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 977
Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default

tried that tips before, it'll just spray some nitro out on a slightly high idle. heat the motor up and start. can't go wrong with that
__________________
Serpent S411 TE : ready to race
Tamiya TA05 VDF : sleeping mode
Align 450 sports v2 : tick-tock in progress
nazwenhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
Default im new to rc, and i dont know if my motor is damaged

i recently bought an hpi rs4 evo. and i ran 6 tanks. after i took it out for a spin and tried to reach second gear then suddenly the car died. i tried to start it up again but the roto thing wont spin, i checked the pistons and inside was small bits of metal. the pistons would hardly move. what would be wrong with my motor?
disbedakoogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
Riketsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,514
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbedakoogui View Post
i recently bought an hpi rs4 evo. and i ran 6 tanks. after i took it out for a spin and tried to reach second gear then suddenly the car died. i tried to start it up again but the roto thing wont spin, i checked the pistons and inside was small bits of metal. the pistons would hardly move. what would be wrong with my motor?
Im guessing a broken conrod or broken bearing. 6 tanks is way too little for an engine to break-in.

That is unless you bought it used, in that case you shouldve looked at the conrod for any play.
__________________
eBay user id: riketsukirai
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
SERPENT7twenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 812
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

I have a Picco .12 Evo3 Red Dot in my car and it is on its 2nd gallon of gas and 2nd rod and it STILL locks up EVERYTIME.

I have heard and seen that the hair dryer trick works perfect.
__________________
TEAM KAMIKAZE - SERPENT 966 - NOVAROSSI - HUDY - KO PROPO - XCEED
Kamikaze Development Driver - R&D = Rebuild & Destroy
www.Kamikazetoysandhobbies.com
SERPENT7twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,276
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERPENT7twenty View Post
I have a Picco .12 Evo3 Red Dot in my car and it is on its 2nd gallon of gas and 2nd rod and it STILL locks up EVERYTIME.

I have heard and seen that the hair dryer trick works perfect.
My IDM evo3 is well into 3 gallons and still gets stuck and I have to pry it off of center, and I have a 3cell lipo powering one of the JLR mini starter box motors......

and that is even on a nice hot 100 degree texas day.. it usually won't get stuck again after the first time.
__________________
Support those that support us

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
SERPENT7twenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 812
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bosley View Post
My IDM evo3 is well into 3 gallons and still gets stuck and I have to pry it off of center, and I have a 3cell lipo powering one of the JLR mini starter box motors......

and that is even on a nice hot 100 degree texas day.. it usually won't get stuck again after the first time.


Yea mine gets stuck pretty often. I usually just take a Hex wrench and turn over the flywheel through the clutchbell bolt.

My guys have told me its normal ... another guy I race with always has problems .. he even burned out one of his starter box motors trying to start hte bastard LOL

But once she is fired up shes ready to rock and roll .. love that motor!
__________________
TEAM KAMIKAZE - SERPENT 966 - NOVAROSSI - HUDY - KO PROPO - XCEED
Kamikaze Development Driver - R&D = Rebuild & Destroy
www.Kamikazetoysandhobbies.com
SERPENT7twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
GHETTOTEACHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,162
Default

I have a Novarossi that has over a gallon and a half. It still gets stuck during a cold start. Another antidote is a LIPO bump box!! I have the Ofna pink box with the big motor. I use a 3800/ 20C/ 14.4, four cell lipo and that thing cranks the tightest motor with ease!! It has so much power that it might snap a con rod, but I have not had a tight start issue since I installed that battery!!
__________________
Herolin <---Traded my Airtronics for an Ipad and Laptop...
Soon to be GHETTOPRINCIPAL..
GHETTOTEACHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:18 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net