Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 733 1/10 200mm touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
I think you totally misinterpreted my comment.
Have you ever been to or even seen the Lostallo track?. It is huge, on Lostallo an engine could really make or break your laptime.

The fact that you start bashing someone based on the brand of car he drives tells me enough about you.
Guess what, I even got Serpent parts mounted on to my NT1.

Relax it was a joke..... take it down a knotch no bashing here
love both cars. At the end of the day it's just a hobby.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Novarossi 733

what is the different between

Novarossi

N12LL3 Engine .12 3 Port Turbo

&

PLUS12-3SCT Engine .12 3 Port Turbo

Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjrctech
what is the different between

Novarossi

N12LL3 Engine .12 3 Port Turbo

&

PLUS12-3SCT Engine .12 3 Port Turbo

Thanks
I know the SCT has ceramic bearings and the crank has silicone in it.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Tech Initiate

N12 LL3= 11,5 mm crankshaft stock timing not tuned different piston.

12-3sct= 11.9 mm crankshaft different timing and more power.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got through the rest of the thread yesterday and I have a few comments and questions.

It was good to read Paolo's post that the first batch of kit bugs have been worked out. He mentioned that Serpent has addressed the plastic parts issue, but what about some of the quality control items that have been brought up? Drilling, parts, flashing (although not that big a deal for experienced racers), etc.

Was anything done about some of the binding/tightness issues or is that just how the kit comes?

Some people have posted having some issues with the durability of the belts and I'm wondering if Serpent is acknowledging that as an issue or if that is being considered a racer issue?

Congrats to the big guns that won the 2009 Gulf Coast Grand Prix. That certainly speaks well of the car.

I noticed that some people are weighing in at over 1800g and I find that somewhat surprising. Does anyone know what the weight difference is between a 720 roller and a 733 roller? I hope that people can continue to run NiMH batteries. I need to go back and re-read some of the posts on weight and what tips people were providing.

The reason I'm asking all these questions, is that I am recommending Serpent as a good car to get in my beginner's guide - but that was based on my knowledge of the 720. I started cringing at some of the posts I read here because it started reading like a G4xx thread. The RRR, MTX-4 and NT1 don't generally have these type of issues and my expectation, new kit or not, new manufacturer or not, is that the quality of the kit and the way it goes together is as good as or better than those of the other top manufacturers.

Keep in mind that people new to the hobby are going to buy this car and assemble it as is without knowing some of these tips and tricks you guys are talking about. If the instructions aren't good, parts bind and things don't quite go together right, it just doesn't present a positive image of the brand. Yes, I know - some people have not been having any issues at all and the posts here only reflect a small sampling of the 733 community, but these people do seem to be having some real issues. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting some of these posts.

The kit has been out for a few months now and I sincerely hope that Serpent is making every effort to continually improve the quality of the kit so that it reflects the good name of the company.

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 01-19-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

unless you have the kit I dont believe some of the complaints that come across this forum. One thing is for sure this car is not for a beginner, these touring car kits are for more experienced drivers. Not just the 733 but most of the touring car kits. I have one of the first production kits and the only issue was the tank. The build was smooth and of course having knowledge of these cars is a plus. All cars have their lil issues. The kit is a very well put together product and the design is first rate, not a copy of an existing design. I feel this is one of the best designs and cars made in a long time. The set up is simple and the car responds to changes and you will be amazed the tire shores you run. I myself ran 42's on a untreated track with no problem. This is one of the top 2 cars in the class hands down.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

welcome scott kimbrow and jim adkins to team serpent good to have you guys

jimmy
Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
unless you have the kit I dont believe some of the complaints that come across this forum. One thing is for sure this car is not for a beginner, these touring car kits are for more experienced drivers. Not just the 733 but most of the touring car kits. I have one of the first production kits and the only issue was the tank. The build was smooth and of course having knowledge of these cars is a plus. All cars have their lil issues. The kit is a very well put together product and the design is first rate, not a copy of an existing design. I feel this is one of the best designs and cars made in a long time. The set up is simple and the car responds to changes and you will be amazed the tire shores you run. I myself ran 42's on a untreated track with no problem. This is one of the top 2 cars in the class hands down.
I hear ya.

What do you consider a beginner's kit? Because I don't think an RTR qualifies as a kit. I see it this way - if you're mechanically inclined, have built other things before or have worked on real cars, you can "assemble" any kit. Look at the pictures, follow the instructions - it should all be there. When you say someone needs to be more "experienced", what specific experience do they need and how would they get the experience you are referring to?

Manufacturers think they can skimp on the manual and get away with these "Lego" type instruction. To me, that's always been lame. Just take a little more time and effort, just explain a few things that the person needs to know to assemble the car correctly and you've got a very happy and satisfied customer. Just 2-3 sentences per instruction, like someone looking over your shoulder and it's all good. Is that so hard? It appears so.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Thats is one of the things I mean if there is something unclear in a manual that a more experience person in the hobby who has built kits or has common sense can put it together and not be baffled by the instructions.Yes some companies should be more clear with their manuals but its not the Da Vince Code either, when it comes down to putting one these cars together. Remember these are racing kits which are really meant for the more experienced person, just like everything else you must learn to walk before you race. I would rather point someone away from a full race kit then point them towards something that I know they will not be ready for.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
Thats is one of the things I mean if there is something unclear in a manual that a more experience person in the hobby who has built kits or has common sense can put it together and not be baffled by the instructions.Yes some companies should be more clear with their manuals but its not the Da Vince Code either, when it comes down to putting one these cars together. Remember these are racing kits which are really meant for the more experienced person, just like everything else you must learn to walk before you race. I would rather point someone away from a full race kit then point them towards something that I know they will not be ready for.
To help those that may need the help, it's always possible to offer a first time owner assembly DVD (one chapter = one step) and post the same videos online for those that have Internet.

I guess what I'm getting at here, is that there are many different ways information can be provided to make the thing virtually idiot proof to assemble. The more helpful the instructions/video, the better. And if that doesn't work, then I think as one person pointed out else where in this forum: This hobby isn't for everyone.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trickd122
Relax it was a joke..... take it down a knotch no bashing here
love both cars. At the end of the day it's just a hobby.
Ok, my bad.
Sometimes it is hard to spot if someone is just joking/sarcasm, or bashing.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

anyone manages to fit in a sirio evo4 into the 733? i've got problems getting my sirio engine to fit in.
is the optional sirio mount necessary for proper fittings?

what's the actual difference in dimensions/design of the stock mount compared to the sirio mount?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroWD
anyone manages to fit in a sirio evo4 into the 733? i've got problems getting my sirio engine to fit in.

what's the actual difference in dimensions/design of the stock mount compared to the sirio mount?
i did modify a std mount to fit my capricorn in. basically the holes are out maybe 0.1 , so i elongated the engine holes a little, and ground the front of the mount so it wouldnt touch near the front bearing. oh and then i needed to shim the engine up higher, cause the middle of the engine case at the bottom hit the chassis easier to just use the Sirio mount.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroWD

Serpent has designed and released a mount for the sirio engines.

http://www.serpent.com/product/804189/
Old 01-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I did what patto mentioned, just need to 'elongate' the sirio engine mounting hole inner and it'll fit the original mount. The problem is that the throttle would hit the radio plate and tank, need to shim the engine higher.
Patto: where and how much to shim?

By the way, the serpent sirio mount is of the same height as the original mount, I wonder how will it raise the engine for the throttle to clear?
The only difference I could find is just that the sirio mount got the holes aligned for sirio engines...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.