Wiki Posts
Search

Announcement: ROAR ON ROAD FUEL NATIONALS - 8TH RACERS OF TOLEDO

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JetMD
Region 2's 1/8 Regional is on Sept. 19-20 at Ironbridge Sports Park in Richmond VA. We will also be running the 1/10 Mid Atlantic Championships trophy race at the same time. http://www.vorra.org We have been trying to advertise this on the Racing Forum. We are also arranging race sponsors which is why we don't have a flyer yet. Don't know about the 1/10 regional. You will have to ask Chris Whitney about that. He is our region director. Hope that helps. (Sorry to get off topic but he asked...)

Paul Knab
VORRA Secretary
Paul, I only race 10th scale for now, I don't think I'm that good of a driver to step into the 8th scale world. Believe me, that's a progressive system I think any ROAR member should subscribe to Learn to drive a smaller car before you point and shoot a bigger one.

Never heard of the 10th Mid Atlantic Championships...PM me when you get flyers. I can print out a couple and pass them out at Blue Diamond, I'm sure we can gather a crowd to come down. I'm putting it on my gmail race calendar so I'll be looking for that flyer. Definitely want to be there. You got a picture of the track?

I did ask, not off topic, thanks for responding.

Funny, just realized that's my wifes B-Day...guess she'll love the ideal of going to Maryland/Virginia for a B-Day shopping spree at the outlet malls
Old 06-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
Guys, it does not have to be a Regional race to let you qualify. The idea is not meant to keep out the regular guy. It is meant to first support our sport in a way that promotes all levels of racing, to promote Roar at the local level and to ensure the people that do support our sport are able to enter the National level races.

..but there needs to be a system. A free for all is not correct either. There are plenty of Roar races around the US throughout the year that people could attend at least one to qualify. If you live in an area that does not promote Regional level events, than this is a problem. A system would maybe push these areas to start running some type of Regional event. Not sure, as every area has its own issues, but hopefully over time things can get better organized at all levels.

DJ Apolaro
DJ, i understand your statement and I don't totally disagree (yes there should be a better system) but it's hard to say why a guy chooses to race at the local race or skip it and go to the nationals. Not everyone can afford it (financially or have the time).

One thing that came to mind, the race participation numbers that were posted, 200+...that's it? We have what, 300+ Million people in this country, and we can only get 100 per class? That concerns me and it says a lot. If we create a system that starts to exclude the low guy, this thing we do is not going to last long.

We have reshuffles, maybe reshuffle sooner and create a system that does it faster. everybody can attend, and everyone is racing in their level.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid
For starters Brian, if I had to wait, I just went someplace else. Probably why I'm not really stressed about this. BUT, I get your point.

I read thru most of this thread and I still don't understand the decision. While I get their reasoning and thought process, combining them for the reasons stated, I'll have to disagree. Also, to not just disagree without providing a solution, I'll list my thoughts on the subject.

1. The list posted from previous races showed that participation was high when the races were not combined. One thing that was left out that list of statistics was location and dates. These are important because as someone stated, Texas in August...I'll pass.

2. I don't know how it works, but if the venue can't handle the potential high number of racers, then they probably shouldn't get the race. I'm all for supporting the tracks, but this hobby is about the racers. If you can't host both and the "financials" require them to be combined, someone else gets the bid.

3. With that said about it being about the racers, I totally disagree with anyone that says you need to qualify up. I know some of you make a living off of this and that's all fine, but without the average joe showing up at your big event, watchng you race, aspiring to "be there", asking you questions, etc...you're not going to make much of a living much longer. I think we sometimes forget, this is a hobby. This is not NASCAR, Formula 1, or any other spectators sport. We the racers are also the spectators, so if you exclude Joe Wallrider from the big events, you're going to lose a lot of people. Not to mention, if Joe don't come to big races where the sponsored guys are, how is he going to meet Drew E. & Ralph B. and get help breaking in a motor, fix a clutch with Diatta C., or get a setup sheet from Paul L., (yeah, XRAY BABY!!!) learn, and get better?

4. As far as ROAR goes with planning events, maybe taking entry fees a few months in advance and that will secure how many people you can expect. Then plan where the event will be held based on how many checks (non-refundable unless it's a life or death situation (MAYBE)) you've recieved.

Just my thoughts...oh, and not around holidays...seriously...you're asking for it.

By the way, I am not Joe Wallrider, but I know him.

I guess I am, but that isn't the issue either.

Guys, we're dancing around the main issue. The discussion about having prior expierence before entering the Nationals is a "straw man" argument. Can any one remember seeing a driver at a National who had never run a local event? If this is a problem, require it, it won't discourage anyone from coming who is qualified.

The real issue is money. ROAR, apparently, cannot afford to manage separate national races with 80 entrants. Well, as one who's done it, I can tell you it can be done, and profitably. Timing and scoring software is now relatively bullet proof, and the rest is a matter of hard work (much of it voluntary based on local pride) on the part of the host Club. The local clubs will make money on the events, and return it to the hobby. Will there be some problems? Yes. Will there be a learning curve? Yes. But the hobby will be stronger in the end. Put out these Races to bid by qualified track managers/clubs, and open them up to all qualified racers who want to come. IMO
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

DJ, i understand your statement and I don't totally disagree (yes there should be a better system) but it's hard to say why a guy chooses to race at the local race or skip it and go to the nationals. Not everyone can afford it (financially or have the time).

One thing that came to mind, the race participation numbers that were posted, 200+...that's it? We have what, 300+ Million people in this country, and we can only get 100 per class? That concerns me and it says a lot. If we create a system that starts to exclude the low guy, this thing we do is not going to last long.

We have reshuffles, maybe reshuffle sooner and create a system that does it faster. everybody can attend, and everyone is racing in their level.
Thats, cool. We are all allowed to have opinions. I like your signature. Too funny.

DJ Apolaro
Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

1 more point when i started racing in vegas i couldnt get any help what so ever so what i did was race the big races wich was the speedline i think & i got so much help from pros that i couldnt get at the club seen i decided to only race big races so maybe that could be a point of why guys run in nats & other big races they may not belong but if there not getting help at there level then what quit hope not i think there is a trainning camp some where oh yeah & a Driver Developement Program
Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
1 more point when i started racing in vegas i couldnt get any help what so ever so what i did was race the big races wich was the speedline i think & i got so much help from pros that i couldnt get at the club seen i decided to only race big races so maybe that could be a point of why guys run in nats & other big races they may not belong but if there not getting help at there level then what quit hope not i think there is a trainning camp some where oh yeah & a Driver Developement Program
This guy is obviously promoting something...an Xray training camp?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by clmbia45
The discussion about having prior expierence before entering the Nationals is a "straw man" argument. Can any one remember seeing a driver at a National who had never run a local event?
Totally agree.

Originally Posted by clmbia45
The real issue is money. ROAR, apparently, cannot afford to manage separate national races with 80 entrants. Well, as one who's done it, I can tell you it can be done, and profitably. Timing and scoring software is now relatively bullet proof, and the rest is a matter of hard work (much of it voluntary based on local pride) on the part of the host Club. The local clubs will make money on the events, and return it to the hobby. Will there be some problems? Yes. Will there be a learning curve? Yes. But the hobby will be stronger in the end. Put out these Races to bid by qualified track managers/clubs, and open them up to all qualified racers who want to come. IMO
I don't think any race should be losing money, even if it is only 80 entrants. If you plan accordingly, you won't exceed the income from the race fees.

I didn't want to speculate on if it could or couldn't be done, but it sounds like you've proven it can be done and everyone benefits and enjoys a good race.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Great discussion.... I'm wondering where all these facts are coming from as I don't see anything that is even close to being related to this event, this track and this situation.

Guys... lets not take over the 8th Scale Racers of Toledo's thread about this event and the information that needs to get out there? Start a new thread if you like to continue your ideas of how to manage a ROAR national with only partial information obviously?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
Thats, cool. We are all allowed to have opinions. I like your signature. Too funny.

DJ Apolaro
Until I'm in the B at a 200+ entrant event, it will remain to be the truth.

I'll find you at the next big event and we can chat.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Guys... lets not take over the 8th Scale Racers of Toledo's thread about this event and the information that needs to get out there? Start a new thread if you like to continue your ideas of how to manage a ROAR national with only partial information obviously?

Thanks!
Agreed. I'd love to have the facts if you're willing to share . I'd like to get involved if possible. I don't normally volunteer but for RC, I got time. PM me.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dorian, you got pm. (from me)
Old 06-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Agreed. I'd love to have the facts if you're willing to share . I'd like to get involved if possible. I don't normally volunteer but for RC, I got time. PM me.
[email protected]
Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
check your inbox. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This hobby is a lot of fun to me and i'm not at the top by no means,and far from the bottom.
Been it around 30+ years on-road---off-road--electric--nitro!
Never been sponsored by anybody but hard work!
I heard about the sign ups 8 months before the date opened.
If there is someone who needs my spot that is making a living doing this stuff,
call me 404-886-8120 or drop me a message i'll be glad to
drop out to make room.There are plenty of other hobbies i can do for that week and save a lot of money$$$.
Thanks
Jeff Epperson

Blowin Smoke BBQ
Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
Your driving skills has developed so well Soloartist !
See ya soon
Jeff E.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.