Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Onroad Racing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HarryN
Eh, perhaps not. Right now there are some severe budget crisies going on the Tri-state area at the moment. Gov't jobs won't work unless you work for the postal company or look into joining the armed forces.

This economic crisis is hitting everywhere. However, what I would recommend you do is look into private sector and see if you can land an apprenticeship to get some experience. You may have to bite the bullet in terms of income, but when the economy picks up later on, you will have more bargaining chips to play with when you go for the grand puba job of your choice.

But definitely look into 301 Raceway. It is an awesome track and the ROAR Nats were held there last year I believe.

Maybe I am missing something but the unemployment rate in the DC metro area is 4.6% according to dept of labor stats. Its the second lowest in the country. With the high level of government, technology, contractor and private sector jobs, along with your military experience finding a job will be no problem.

Not to mention 301 is the hottest piece of asphalt in the country (in my humble opinion)
Old 02-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ohio is also a great place to race but maybe not so good for jobs.

Go with D.C. area or Florida.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

If you got skills your better off in Ohio than Florida. Everything is slow in Florida. I just left Florida 'cause of the lack of technical work. There is very little industry in FL. Ohio at least has industry. We're all sweating right now, but this fake recession will pass. ( I say fake because we did this to ourselfs, combine crooked private sector, with half a crooked .gov, with the other half of the .gov sabatogeing (sp?) everything so that they can gain power through fear.) This could really hurt RC for a while.

Basic Labor is impossible to find in both states. Too many layoffs.

+1 'bout Toledo. Can't wait to race there. Not to mention Cinci', and CRCRC in Columbus (Offroad). Toledo is a growing town. And its not far from Cleveland (aka Gotham city).
Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

FL..no snow,,forgass race's in the winter.!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
If you got skills your better off in Ohio than Florida. Everything is slow in Florida. I just left Florida 'cause of the lack of technical work. There is very little industry in FL. Ohio at least has industry. We're all sweating right now, but this fake recession will pass. ( I say fake because we did this to ourselfs, combine crooked private sector, with half a crooked .gov, with the other half of the .gov sabatogeing (sp?) everything so that they can gain power through fear.) This could really hurt RC for a while.
Geez, I thought I was the only one that thought this. The number crunching my financial advisor and I did to try and explain this current economy was not matching up to what Schumer, Pelosi, Snow, and Specter were talking about. Then my advisor made a good point; "I don't think we are anywhere near a crisis, otherwise the president would have been with the lawmakers and not playing basketball in Chicago." However, we did also invest heavily into gold because of the printing of money scheduled very soon and bringing the possibility of major inflation and much higher taxes to pay for the debt. Gold and Silver are expected to go through the roof in terms of value.

As for the military experience, in terms of getting a PM job, do you have your PM certification? I know a lot of military contractors that are dying for PMs with military experience. People that are "in the know" with the military are highly sought after in the MD/DC/VA Metropolitan area for government/military contracts.

Better yet, send me a PM when you get a chance on what you are looking for. I know the National Navy Medical Center in Bethesda has a few contracts that are looking for the people with military experience and Project management experience.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Tech Regular

Geez, I thought I was the only one that thought this. The number crunching my financial advisor and I did to try and explain this current economy was not matching up to what Schumer, Pelosi, Snow, and Specter were talking about. Then my advisor made a good point; "I don't think we are anywhere near a crisis, otherwise the president would have been with the lawmakers and not playing basketball in Chicago." However, we did also invest heavily into gold because of the printing of money scheduled very soon and bringing the possibility of major inflation and much higher taxes to pay for the debt. Gold and Silver are expected to go through the roof in terms of value.

As for the military experience, in terms of getting a PM job, do you have your PM certification? I know a lot of military contractors that are dying for PMs with military experience. People that are "in the know" with the military are highly sought after in the MD/DC/VA Metropolitan area for government/military contracts.

Better yet, send me a PM when you get a chance on what you are looking for. I know the National Navy Medical Center in Bethesda has a few contracts that are looking for the people with military experience and Project management experience.
+1 what he said.

Especially on the gold and silver thing. Also, the PM with military experience. I am working on my PMP certification now for that very reason.

The job market (and RC racing) is great in this area. If you can deal with the crazy real estate (which is dropping to more realistic prices) and the traffic (which is here to stay) its not a bad area at all.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I'm off to class here shortly, didn't realize the thread was getting so many hits. I'll be back knee deep into this tonight!

Thanks for all the input, guys!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by va_connoisseur
+1 what he said.

Especially on the gold and silver thing. Also, the PM with military experience. I am working on my PMP certification now for that very reason.

The job market (and RC racing) is great in this area. If you can deal with the crazy real estate (which is dropping to more realistic prices) and the traffic (which is here to stay) its not a bad area at all.
LOL, traffic isn't much of a problem. I spent a year commuting to the bay area out in California before I moved back... I kinda miss it! Nothing like an hour drive when traffic was GOOD!