R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Onroad Racing...

What area of the US is most known for 1/8th onroad racing? If you could live in ___________ to race onroad, where is THE place to be?

I'm graduating college soon and I'll have to relocate... Might as well pick a popular spot to start job hunting!

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Florida
Old 02-14-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron2u View Post
What area of the US is most known for 1/8th onroad racing? If you could live in Tampa Florida to race onroad, where is THE place to be?

I'm graduating college soon and I'll have to relocate... Might as well pick a popular spot to start job hunting!

Thanks!
Tampa Florida is the place to live if you want to race year round at SS Speedway and you will also be able to travel around the state and race in the Forgass series.
kanai2racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:

Thanks!
Man, I sure do not envy you right about now with the current crisis and soon to be catastrophie...

oof!! Friend is still searching for a job after graduating Summa Cum Laude in Applied Physics and Business.

And this was 6 years ago...
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Toledo Ohio has one of the best onroad clubs anywhere.
www.racersoftoledo.com
The track is a permanent facility at a shopping mall. Josh cyrul had his hobby shop inside for awhile. Absolutly great track.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Man, I sure do not envy you right about now with the current crisis and soon to be catastrophie...

oof!! Friend is still searching for a job after graduating Summa Cum Laude in Applied Physics and Business.

And this was 6 years ago...
Yeah, I can't even begin to explain how scared sh!tless I am at the moment. But I was able to get back to school finally this past fall. I was so close to having my BS degree in Industrial Technology, that I just had to finish it out!

Thanks for the input guys! Both of these tracks look hella nice!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yeah, I can't even begin to explain how scared sh!tless I am at the moment. But I was able to get back to school finally this past fall. I was so close to having my BS degree in Industrial Technology, that I just had to finish it out!

Thanks for the input guys! Both of these tracks look hella nice!
You could also think about Maryland as well. Maryland has 301 Raceway in Glen Burnie or there around, I forget exactly where. It is a very nice track.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan View Post
Florida
Yep!!:
Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Since private industry is dying, move to northern Virginia/Maryland/D.C. area, get a government job and race at 301. 1/8th worlds will be there in 2011.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Tech Master

Now that sounds like a good idea!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Since private industry is dying, move to northern Virginia/Maryland/D.C. area, get a government job and race at 301. 1/8th worlds will be there in 2011.
Eh, perhaps not. Right now there are some severe budget crisies going on the Tri-state area at the moment. Gov't jobs won't work unless you work for the postal company or look into joining the armed forces.

This economic crisis is hitting everywhere. However, what I would recommend you do is look into private sector and see if you can land an apprenticeship to get some experience. You may have to bite the bullet in terms of income, but when the economy picks up later on, you will have more bargaining chips to play with when you go for the grand puba job of your choice.

But definitely look into 301 Raceway. It is an awesome track and the ROAR Nats were held there last year I believe.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
Tech Master

Actually, I have some experience under my belt. I was a Civil Engineer in the Air Force, which was; carpenter, welder, mason, sheet metal worker, base maintenance and such. Jack of all trades! I was a journeyman, which is probably comparable to a high level apprentice in the real world...

In 05 when I got out, I went to work as lead carpenter in a precast concrete shop building homes. From there, got into quality control, then production foreman, then production scheduler. I worked there for 2 years or so before becoming a continuous improvement engineer for another company, which motivated me to finish my degree. As a CI engineer, I felt like I was in the ejection seat not having my degree, so I came back this fall to finish.

LOL, I'll be 32 in April, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Actually, I have some experience under my belt. I was a Civil Engineer in the Air Force, which was; carpenter, welder, mason, sheet metal worker, base maintenance and such. Jack of all trades! I was a journeyman, which is probably comparable to a high level apprentice in the real world...

In 05 when I got out, I went to work as lead carpenter in a precast concrete shop building homes. From there, got into quality control, then production foreman, then production scheduler. I worked there for 2 years or so before becoming a continuous improvement engineer for another company, which motivated me to finish my degree. As a CI engineer, I felt like I was in the ejection seat not having my degree, so I came back this fall to finish.

LOL, I'll be 32 in April, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!
Pfft... Chairforce... Shoulda been a squiddy or jarhead if you want to land better jobs and get top notch edumacation!!

That's cool bro. The armed forces experience will definitely help you out in landing a Gubment job. What type of job you lookin to do? I can look around in my sector and see what we gots. Is your TS still active?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #14
Tech Master

LOL, chairforce... Tell me something I haven't heard... Good experience though. Trained with the Army for builders school, Wavy-Navy for welding, the rest was all Air Force.

Nope. I think it ran out about a year ago. How would I find out? I'd love to find something in facility maintenance, work coordinator, project management, inspections, safety...

At this point I would jump on about anything. The economy in the tank, can't be too picky. I'm working on my resume to get it back out online, maybe I'll get lucky...
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

Default just a little info...

Hey Aaron.. the guys are correct 301 raceway IS one of the BEST tracks on the east coast..The 1/5 scale nats were held there back in 05 the 1/8 scale nats were there last Septmber. We have a BALL ..some week ends its club races BUT if you can make it try to attend the 2009 Capitol Classic june 5-7 That race has 200+ drivers each year..as for work? hmmm you could try the USPS or UPS those folks are hiring
hope to see ya at 301 this year
Pit Bull
PIT BULL is offline   Reply With Quote