Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Pyramid
Nice Next I think you would say that this is the easist car to maintain also. In case you notice, you could clean all pulleys with toohbrush without the need to take off anything from the car.
sure is this car is just awesome
Old 06-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 705 CVD's on 710?

Originally posted by Brightbluehaze
I dont see any way these dogbones could come out at 199mm front trackwidth so I suppose I will just run the car this way for now and if I have a problem I will order the 3racing universals.
Yeah, it is not a problem with the oneway. Only when you use the front ball diff you need to use about 197 mm front trackwidth. Else, the dogbones come off.

One more question what would be the best starting point for getting rid of a highspeed on power push with the car? Off power is perfect, low speed on power is a bit loose (mainly because of tirespin) but highspeed through the sweeper it is very hard to get back on the throttle without some pretty drastic pushing!
Have you played around with the rear roll center? What about the front? Use the setupbook manual that came with the car. What are your current front and rear roll center settings?

I have found using the UTI / LT and with the highest front rollcenter (no shims below the front upper arms), the car is very responsive and I can get on the gas faster out of the corners.

I switched to red springs all around which helped somewhat then went to red fronts and the pink xray rears hat came with the car and this helped even more but the push is still very evident when getting back on throttle through the sweeper.
I don't know where pink XRay springs will fall in the range of Serpent springs but using a harder rear spring will give you very nice on power steering. I tried yellow front with red rear and the car had a lot of on power steering with the roll centers I used above.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by FW05R
so I decided to go to the next best thing
Next best car?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by InitialD
Next best car?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 705 CVD's on 710?

Have you played around with the rear roll center? What about the front? Use the setupbook manual that came with the car. What are your current front and rear roll center settings?

I have found using the UTI / LT and with the highest front rollcenter (no shims below the front upper arms), the car is very responsive and I can get on the gas faster out of the corners.
Haven't played with them yet currently the front is at 2mm under and back is at bottom inner on top and bottom on the bottom.

I don't know where pink XRay springs will fall in the range of Serpent springs but using a harder rear spring will give you very nice on power steering. I tried yellow front with red rear and the car had a lot of on power steering with the roll centers I used above.
After some searching pink xray are 30lb but I cant find any reference as to what lb the yellow and red serpent springs are.

I was thinking of just running less toe in the rear as a start currently i'm at 3 degrees. Do you think changing roll centers would be more beneficial than reducing toe in on the rear? Also has anyone tried the DRS wit the "active" toe out feature?

I am hesitant to change roll centers as the car seemed to roll to much as it was which is why I went to tiffer springs, wouldn't raisning the roll centers cause the car to roll even more?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 705 CVD's on 710?

Haven't played with them yet currently the front is at 2mm under and back is at bottom inner on top and bottom on the bottom.
That would still be the stock roll center settings then...

I was thinking of just running less toe in the rear as a start currently i'm at 3 degrees. Do you think changing roll centers would be more beneficial than reducing toe in on the rear? Also has anyone tried the DRS wit the "active" toe out feature?
It's a good idea to reduce rear toe in settings to 2.5 or 2 degree per wheel. I have found using harder rear springs to be excellent to get on power steering. Just try out the roll centers. It'll make the car handle different and may work out nice on your car and on the track. As for the DRS feature, I have tried it but have not found any difference for me. Perhaps it's my driving.

I am hesitant to change roll centers as the car seemed to roll to much as it was which is why I went to tiffer springs, wouldn't raisning the roll centers cause the car to roll even more?
Lowering the roll center would make that part roll more. Higher roll center makes that part roll less.

Going from UBI/LB to UTI/LT raises the rear roll center and makes the rear roll less.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Short track setups

Originally posted by kreidel
Any of you have any new setups that work with the solid front?
Here is "about" what I am running with good success. Car goes in and comes out very well on a short track. Sometimes I run with white springs in lower traction. I also sometimes do without the front roll bar.

Suspension geometry Front:
Downstops: 3mm of up-travel
Actual ride height: 6mm
Camber Left: 1.5-2 degree
Camber Right: 1.5-2 degree
Track-width: 197mm
Toe-in: 1 degree out
Caster setting: thin shim in front-medium and large shim in rear
Roll-center position upper arm (mm): stock…2mm under
Upstop (mm): None

Suspension geometry Rear:
Downstops: 4mm up-travel
Actual ride height: 6mm
Camber Left: 2.5 degree
Camber Right: 2.0 degree
Toe-in: +2.0 degree
Track-width: 197mm
Roll-center position upper: UBI
Roll-center position lower: LB
DRS arm position (low-mid-up): mid…no bump steer

Shockabsorbers Front:
Springs: yellow
Oil: team associated 30W
Holes: 3
Cilinder type: composite
Shock-tower position: 3

Shockabsorbers Rear:
Springs: yellow
Oil: team associated 30W
Holes: 3
Cilinder type: composite
Shock-tower position: 3
Lower shock position: outside

Anti-roll bar front:
Position: flat

Anti-roll bar rear:
Thickness: standard
Position: end of bar
Position on lower arm: outside

Tires Front:
Make: GRP
Hardness Left: 37
Hardness Right: 37
Diameter:

Tires Rear:
Make: GRP
Hardness Left: 40
Hardness Right: 40
Diameter:

Transmission:
Pinion 1st: 16T
Pinion 2nd: 22T
Gear 1st: 60T
Gear 2nd: 56T

Front axle:
Type: Locked to solid axle
Diff. setting: Locked to solid axle

Rear axle:
Type: adjustable diff
Diff. setting: med-tight

Aerodynamics:
Body: Protoform Mazda 6
Wing: Standard ROAR
Gurney strip:

BTW...I copied this template from one of InitialD's posts a while ago .
Old 06-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Unhappy ATTENTION: TRACTION ROLL...Help!Help!

Me, and some friend of mine have some trouble with traction roll with Serpent710 when the track is well gripped (AFTER 20 MINUTES OF RACE).
I had this problem with sedan bodies(stratus), then we change the setup(a little better) and then we change the bodies with lolas(much much better) and we thinked the problem was solved..... but we thinked wrong.
We(the so called "traction rollers") want to steer the car very snappy in slow tight 180° corner....
So don't give us a set-up tip that eliminates the traction roll but give , as side effect, a lot of front understeer.
Please CHECK first my set-up in the set-up section....and then think about an idea.
P.S. I don't want to change the front tyres from 40 to 42 because of the tyre consumption is already very little in the front (with 40FRont-40Rear)
Thank you
Mario

p.s.Traction roll in my case is when the car is OFF-THROTTLE.
Me, and some friend of mine have some trouble with traction roll with Serpent710 when the track is well gripped (AFTER 20 MINUTES OF RACE).
I had this problem with sedan bodies(stratus), then we change the setup(a little better) and then we change the bodies with lolas(much much better) and we thinked the problem was solved..... but we thinked wrong.
We(the so called "traction rollers") want to steer the car very snappy in slow tight 180° corner....Me, and some friend of mine have some trouble with traction roll with Serpent710 when the track is well gripped (AFTER 20 MINUTES OF RACE).
We(the so called "traction rollers") want to steer the car very snappy in slow tight 180° corner....Me, and some friend of mine have some trouble with traction roll with Serpent710 when the track is well gripped (AFTER 20 MINUTES OF RACE).
We(the so called "traction rollers") want to steer the car very snappy in slow tight 180° corner....
So don't give us a set-up tip that eliminates the traction roll but give , as side effect, a lot of front understeer.
Please CHECK first my set-up in the set-up section....and then think about an idea.
P.S. I don't want to change the front tyres from 40 to 42 because of the tyre consumption is already very little in the front (with 40FRont-40Rear)
Thank you
Mario
Old 06-17-2004, 12:23 AM
Tech Initiate

excuse me for the double message
excuse me for the double message
Old 06-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Short track setups

Originally posted by Proficar403
BTW...I copied this template from one of InitialD's posts a while ago .
Royalties please.

Have a few questions...

1. Downstops at 3 mm? Does your front wheel lift up on acceleration in a fast sweeper?

2. I assume with the Impact springsteel dogbones you're using, 197 mm front and rear trackwidth does not bind the front and rear suspension?

3. AE 30wt shock oil? Isn't that very thin and light compared to Serpent 30wt oil?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: ATTENTION: TRACTION ROLL...Help!Help!

Mario, have you tried using higher front roll center? How much of shims do you have below the front upper arms? Stock is 2 mm. Taking out the 2 mm shim would raise the front roll center.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: ATTENTION: TRACTION ROLL...Help!Help!

Originally posted by mariochi
Thank you
Mario

p.s.Traction roll in my case is when the car is OFF-THROTTLE.
Thank you
Mario
The setup that I posted above works well in high and low traction. This is on a short track with a few 180s as well as sweepers and straights. Even with 37 front tires in very high traction, the car does not want to lift.

What springs are you running? I have found that at my home track, it is very easy to over-stiffen the car, causing it to bite too hard and want to lift. This is why I am running predominantly yellows and whites. All of us here have run the car with reds at some point, and we are all prefering yellows and whites now.

Any of us who have traction rolled have solved the problem by softening the car.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: ATTENTION: TRACTION ROLL...Help!Help!

All of us here have run the car with reds at some point, and we are all prefering yellows and whites now.
For smallish tracks, I prefer always preferred softer spring setup on the 710.

Any of us who have traction rolled have solved the problem by softening the car.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Short track setups

Royalties please.

Have a few questions...

1. Downstops at 3 mm? Does your front wheel lift up on acceleration in a fast sweeper?

2. I assume with the Impact springsteel dogbones you're using, 197 mm front and rear trackwidth does not bind the front and rear suspension?

3. AE 30wt shock oil? Isn't that very thin and light compared to Serpent 30wt oil?
1. The downstops are not set at 3mm...they are set for 3mm of up travel, meaning that at whatever tire diameter I have, I reset the droop to make the chassis rise 3mm before the tires leave the ground. 3mm is plenty, so the front wheels do not lift.

2. Not at all...In fact I have plenty of side to side play.

3. AE 30 is light, but not as light as some would lead you to believe. It is probably somewhere between 20w and 25w in serpent. I just use AE oil because it is sold at the shop, and I already have a small collection of it. It works well.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by PSI Racing
It's the parts that I listed about a month ago.

SER802136 Bracket radioplate-support alu N/A 48.95

SER802155 Bracket middle shaft alu N/A 29.95

SER802165 Pully Adaptor Alum.Light (2) Released 13.95

SER802202 Shock Tower Carbon - Lola N/A 14.95

SER802241 Anti-roll bar levers + ecc. Alu N/A 44.95

SER802404 2-speed clutch shoes set LC N/A 13.95

SER802509 Centax-3 clutch shoe yellow N/A 7.95

SER802830 Set-up wheels S710 alu (4) N/A 37.95
Thanks PSI, I guess they're not as new as I thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.