Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Motorman
Only with a high bite Red Rulon AR shoe and weighted flyweights.
It wont work with the stock shoe. you could use weighted and non weighted flyweights with it depending on how you like it. The red shoe slips less reducing clutch bell heat. because of this the engagement point needs to be higher to eliminate low speed bog and by the time you get the stock spring adjusted into the window it is almost bottomed in coil bind.

If you don't have the shoe you could use glens setup with the yellow serpent shoe.

I will have a hundred red shoes finished next thursday.
Motorman your analysis of the 710 clutch is very accurate. I wore down my first shoe in a weekend and blaming the engine tuning all the time for the lousy clutch engage until I decided to try and cut the flyweights. the change was day and night!! The smile came back to my face. Also the Thrust bearing stated to look fresher

Now I'm going to try with a yellow shoe.

About the red ones that you talk about I would be interested to try one if you intend to sell some.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes they are available as of next thursday.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: manifold problem

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
As for my bags, still waiting for D to sponsor the ticket. If he does mine I'm sure he'll sponsor yours too. Then we go .. you carry my bags and I'll carry yours!
I'm still waiting to strike it big on the lottery ticket ! When I do, I'll let you guys know !
Old 05-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
Rain dance!! are you mad!
Try it ! Why do you think we get to play here?

Anyway, the skies held up yesterday and it was overcast ! Pretty cooling to play in the afternoon.

My apologies to rub it in Mark, Sow&Steady and the rest but today is going to be another beautiful day !
Old 05-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: .8M gears

Originally posted by Profoxcg
Does the S710 gears are .8M ? or no? if not what are they? sorry for the stupid questoin, i was just reading the R40 thread....
It would probably make you smarter not to go to that forum ! (j/k)

Yes, the 710 spurs and pinion gearing is based on 0.8 module gearing.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: New Serpent Owner

Originally posted by B4
Is there anything I should pay special attention to during the building of the Serpent.
Welcome B4 ! Download the FAQ. It can be found on mytsn products / download page or simply search for the FAQ caretaker markp27. He has it under his sig. Perhaps if you look closer, you could also find it hanging under his neck too !

Originally posted by B4
By the way we have a reasonably open track with fast entry and exit to the straight.
I think you could try setups from Julius from their MACH Heemstede track which can be found on mytsn. VERY open track.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Saturday surpise!

Take a look at the thrust bearing first - mine seemed to have no grease left on it. I should have checked it after my run-in
Sorry for the uneventful day Mark... Hope today / tomorrow would be good for you.

I think the most important thing about the thrust bearing is to make sure that step 8.7 on page 28 of the manual to put shims to minimise end play is followed. Next make sure the thrust bearing is installed correctly. Inner ring (5.0 mm) first towards the clutch shoes followed by the bigger one (5.2 mm).

If you use the Mugen Super Grease, you would not need to grease it often. I have not greased mine about a month of racing and it still works plenty fine. You can still see grease sticking to the balls of the inner ring.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Centax

Originally posted by cox049
Now I have the same TB for 30 tanks and it looks as new.
The secret is the grease and re-grease it at least once in a race day
I have mine since day one. Wanna see my original 4x9x4 Centax I thrust bearing?

I think with the Mugen Super Grease, you do not need to regrease it every so often. If you still see grease left over on the balls after race, then it should still be OK.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Here's a pic of the smearing - see what you think - I'm already paranoid after one bust thrust bearing
If you're using the Mugen Super Grease, the grease on the balls is sufficient. Wipe the extra away on the plates. You would not want the extra stuff going onto the clutch shoes ! Then you'll have other problems !
Old 05-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Prophet

My 710 has yet to hit the pavement but some of my friends have been running it for a while.
Watch out ! Dennis has gone to the darkside !
Old 05-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cox049
Motorman your analysis of the 710 clutch is very accurate. I wore down my first shoe in a weekend and blaming the engine tuning all the time for the lousy clutch engage until I decided to try and cut the flyweights. the change was day and night!! The smile came back to my face. Also the Thrust bearing stated to look fresher
Ummm, perhaps that explains why I got so lucky with thrust bearings...

Yup, Motoman's explanation about cooking the thrust bearing sounds logical. But that does not preclude that other factors like excessive end play, not lubing the thrust bearing and wrong installation of the Centax would not destroy the Centax thrust bearings...
Old 05-08-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Only with a high bite Red Rulon AR shoe and weighted flyweights.
By weighted, do you mean physically put weight on the shoes like what Glenn wrote in his article or by cutting up the shoes to use it as a flyweight and mount it in between the pins? I believe both methods will make for heavier flyweights...
Old 05-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New Serpent Owner

Originally posted by B4
Hi All,

I'm going to become a proud Serpent 710 owner in a couple of days. I've pushed the Kyosho V-One-RR Evo as far as it will go and got sick of having to get hop up's that the manufacturer should have thought of.

Is there anything I should pay special attention to during the building of the Serpent. I have ordered the locking pins for the front diff and also the ball diff. I have adapted my driving style to suit a oneway. Any thoughts on what is the best drive configuration for the front. By the way we have a reasonably open track with fast entry and exit to the straight.
great, welcome aboard.

just follow carefully the instruction manual, keep the setup book handy; bring it anywhere u go and read Mark FAQ. Go to Glenns Publication list...read everything. thansk there Glenn.
other than all these, get use to the lighter 710 style of driving. its one damn fast car, i tell u that.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

Default thrust bearing

just wanna share something here...i already replace my blown TB with normal bearing and it stays intact for one month usage already...and it still can spin for more than 5 seconds...cheaper also
Old 05-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: manifold problem

Originally posted by InitialD
I'm still waiting to strike it big on the lottery ticket ! When I do, I'll let you guys know !
Well u should buy lotteries from my company. i strike once(yea once in 10 years only)..and i bought Helios and 710 cool eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.