Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by sparksy
You do realise you dont HAVE to use all the tuning options in the 710. I havent touched roll centers or DRS on mine yet, and its almost where I want it setup wise.
So true. I actually drove another guy's 710 that I was helping out last weekend with a oneway front and stock box settings. Tires was 42 shore front and rear. The car was hooked. Lots of steering and corners reasonably sharp. I actually enjoyed driving it around the track for about 3 to 4 laps. How I miss the stock settings.

Makes we want to get a 2nd car ! One for playing with settings and one box stock for racing !
Old 03-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by crashed_1
Wouldn't a longer alu pivot ball solve the issue like the steel ones?
I believe Julius was the one suggesting to use the longer steel pivot balls as a temporary remedy.

Anyway, the idea is to make all pivot balls the same length and standardise all 10 pivot balls in the kit. Making it all longer and you'll have problems with the front trackwidth. So the best option would be do what Serpent is currently doing now. Changing the mold.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by B
That is all great. But does anyone know when the new parts will be out?
Look at mytsn 710 forum for more official statements from Serpent. The thicker rear shock towers are already available as spare parts. I would think the new kits would already have included them. As for the rear lower arms, it would take another 2 to 3 months I believe.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by crashed_1
Here's what i did. I set it back to it's default setup and changed one thing at a time, starting with the most obvious and voila, next thing I knew i was clocking the best time and screaming around the local track like a pro...
Yup, your car looks like it was on rails on the track last Saturday. Looks very stable and planted. You reigned the track as nobody could even come close.

Me? I was pulling my hair out trying to figure WTF went wrong with the engine idling ! I suspected fuel but yesterday it turned out the problem was revealed ! Bad plug ! Changed to a new plug and all was fine and dandy.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Tech Prophet

rodrigo1508, it looked like you hit the boards real hard. I had a guy I helped last weekend. He constantly broke parts but that's because of his driving. I could see that he could not control his throttle finger and be smooth and most of the time, he was always tempted to gas the car and when 2nd gear engages, the car just flies. That causes a lot of overshooting out of the corners and slam bang to the wall or the curbs. A kinda guided him on the driver's stand when to let the throttle off and when to get the gas on and where to take the lines. Before you know it, he was having a lot of fun driving. Although slowly learning, he went faster and faster.

By that I am not denying that certain plastic parts of the 710 need attention because they are a little brittle but I guess no car is without fault. The best part is that Serpent is looking into this and rectifying the problem.

Perhaps it is a good idea to practice the track you run on with the R40 before you learn to get faster around the track.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by jasoncsc
Like my experience, with the stock recommend setup, my car was understeer going into a turn, but slide badly exiting one. I am asking peole what could be changed and needless to say a lot of different opinions comes to me. I then try changing basic settings, the problem persists and even sometimes worst, then I go about to changing the roll centers and DRS. I travelled to far and in some cases made things quite worst. Then I went back to a version that based on the basic setting with a little change. Still the car does not drive as I want it to be, but at least its near "the ballpark".
You sounded just like me at the race I participated in Thailand recently. I am no A main driver by any means and my car did not drive good for me when I thought I was smart enough with very limited time I had trying to play around with the settings ! The first time I got the car on the track in Thailand with the stock setting, it was wonderful to drive. Too much fun that I started to get brain farts and clipped the steel bars and broke a few parts along the way. But that I attribute to my own fault. Things started bad when I played around with settings that I only understood half of what it did to the car.

Julius, I see you are living in Netherlands, and may even be involved with Serpent. If so, I would recommend you to take off your "Serpent hat", and go to various car tracks and listen to drivers, not the top guys who frequent the podium, but the ones on the side. Especially listen to those who once driven Serpent and changed to other brands, ask them why and their experience after changing. I always hear from local people that "Serpent cars are not easy to drive and setup, and it would take a certain amount of time and patient to get it setup right". I also hear from some local top Serpent guys who said "Serpent cars are for advanced users only who knows exactly what they want and knows how to factor them into setting up their cars". The second statement, while contains more pride, if Serpent cherish that then frankly speaking Serpent is gradually loosing market to others.
I know a friend of mine who has stuck with the 705 and is now as fast as the other guys in the A main. Only luck and the occasional engine blurp that sometimes stops or derails him in the races. As for me, I guess I'll stay in the lower mains no matter what car I drive ! I don't know what you want to say about that but I guess it's always the one man's meat is another man's poison. The way I see, it is almost impossible to please everyone. Serpent made a car with fantastic options to dial in the car and people complain. When they make a car that cannot be tuned to your liking, Serpent is again blamed. I guess that's what they call a catch 22 situation.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Yes the car is definitely a "glass car". Parts breaks easily! I went through 3 rear shock tower, lost 2 dogbones, 3 one way drive cups, 2 pivot balls, not to mention repair time and cost.....All committed while the body suffer only minor rub marks!
Crashed_1 and I drive our 710 cars at the local track to the max every weekend without fail ! If you call the 710 a glass car, I would not want to know what you'll call the NTC3 ! But seriously, despite a few bumps here and there, we hardly break anything on the 710. On the same hands, crashed_1 managed to stripped the diffs on the NTC3 (again) after a few rounds even before I came and have a chance to see it in action. (sorry I came late )

Anyway last week, I was pretty frustrated with engine cut offs that were a few close calls occassions when my car would stop in the middle of the track and some managed to bump my car directly in the rear shock tower. I would have to report that there are problems with the new thicker rear shock tower and I'm happy with it !
Old 03-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Crashed_1 and I drive our 710 cars at the local track to the max every weekend without fail ! If you call the 710 a glass car, I would not want to know what you'll call the NTC3 ! But seriously, despite a few bumps here and there, we hardly break anything on the 710. On the same hands, crashed_1 managed to stripped the diffs on the NTC3 (again) after a few rounds even before I came and have a chance to see it in action. (sorry I came late )

Anyway last week, I was pretty frustrated with engine cut offs that were a few close calls occassions when my car would stop in the middle of the track and some managed to bump my car directly in the rear shock tower. I would have to report that there are problems with the new thicker rear shock tower and I'm happy with it !
Your shunt into the dreaded metal fence of death was pretty hairy that day... Guess what, I had the same accident b4 you came @ exactly the same spot with the same mistake you did...taking the outer line and not making the turn in time... Lost traction and WHAM!!!! Lucky thing nothing broke...
Old 03-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i second D. My 710 is still with the original front bumper, dogbones and everything except the rear shock tower of which my own fault, traction roll, gone turtle. every weekend at least 10 tanks. now thats a tough car. Now i believe, is it driving style fault?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Yes it was a hard hit but I do know how to get aroungdthe track it was an accident caused by another driver and I couldnt stop it in time because I didnt react in time. I didnt knew the body was interfering with the steering so when I was supposely turning I was giving it a little was and when I realized my car was not turning I had already crashed. I am not complaining just wanted to tell somebody and may be get some tips or something like that. I will keep my r40 for practicing I do not want to pay for parts braking during practice, but Ill keep the 710 for racing
Old 03-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yup, your car looks like it was on rails on the track last Saturday. Looks very stable and planted. You reigned the track as nobody could even come close.

Me? I was pulling my hair out trying to figure WTF went wrong with the engine idling ! I suspected fuel but yesterday it turned out the problem was revealed ! Bad plug ! Changed to a new plug and all was fine and dandy.
same case also for me last saturday. half day gone for me without knowing the fault. my engine kept KAPUT only to realized its the bad plug...the same old plug since 1st run the 710...ahahahha shame on me
Old 03-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by rodrigo1508
Well went to race today and in the first 2 hits I was flying was first on both,I can say that this car in amazing but then it came the third. I was also flying really smoth driving and then my in one tur someone hit me and my body cought my wheel so I couldnt turn and whaam to the wall. I can only say I was done running for the day.
Broke the 2 front shocks, upper and lower bumpers, and some other things
Hey Rodrigo do the front shock tower mod and you'll save the shocks the next time. It will give room for the shocks to move backwards on the impact.

That was a very hard one!...
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-dsc04326.jpg  
Old 03-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by cox049
Hey Rodrigo do the front shock tower mod and you'll save the shocks the next time. It will give room for the shocks to move backwards on the impact.

That was a very hard one!...
It's a very good idea
Old 03-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

who makes those spacers? where can i get them?
Old 03-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Soo, so far the new thicker shock tower seems to be stronger "D"? Thats good news. Now we just need the longer rear wishbones and bumper plates and we're set! What bumper plate breakes on the 710? The upper or lower one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.