Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD
What does it say on your heatsink? M5? I only know of P5 and S5 but M5 is pretty new to me.

For your info, all NovaMax engines are tuned by Massimo Fantini.
So whats the difference between the S5 and P5? MY bad, mine is the P5
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-dscf0017.jpg  
Old 03-04-2004, 07:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by markp27
Is it only the rear shock tower which is weak? I'm just getting a list of parts to order. I'll probably also get a second kit - but wait until I find a cheapish one on ebay - seen one go for just over €340 so far.

Cheers, Mark.
Mark the lower rear wish bones are definitely weaker, almost pulled my pivot ball out after only a minor cartwheeling experience!!! the front bumpers are also prone to breaking apparently.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I think after cartwheeling, your bumper and rear wishbones will be a little more prone to breakage than normal... well, no offence intended. Well, I am after some decent advice as this is the only place to get good advice... what do you all think of this airfilter...? http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/ca...oducts_id=2472

and this one?

http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/ca...97fe187a2136bb

Remember that the Nova I have has a carb with a 15mm opening like a .21.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

I got this tip from the guys ar my track. They cut their front bumper so that during impact it wont damage the downstop screws. Mine was already broken so might as well shave it off
By the way when in a crash I dont understand why the shock pistons break. What kind of impact makes the pistons break, the bumper hitting it or the arms bending back? Or is the whole car jolting when hitting a wall?
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-dscf0011.jpg  
Old 03-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by BaxterC
Well, I think after cartwheeling, your bumper and rear wishbones will be a little more prone to breakage than normal... well, no offence intended. Well, I am after some decent advice as this is the only place to get good advice... what do you all think of this airfilter...? http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/ca...oducts_id=2472

and this one?

Remember that the Nova I have has a carb with a 15mm opening like a .21.
Im sure the K&N filters are nice but it looks a bit heavy and looks like it might fall off. The other one looks fine but why are they so dam expensive? The orange one may have 2 filters which is good and bad. Too much filtering wont let enough air go in and the outer filter has to fit on tight for it not to get loose. If the outer filter gets loose then it wont be as effective. Most guys use the one I have and it works really good and fits tight as well. I think most racers use the one I have, simple, light and effective. I bought mine for only like 5 bucks. This is just my opinion on what air filter to get. 99% of the people at my track use the one I have. Unless you want to be a bit different then SEND IT!

See what airfilters these racers are using at the preworlds race in Brazil.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-airfilter.jpg  
Old 03-04-2004, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you Cyba888, you have really helped, I dont really want to spend alot of cash but I also dont want it coming apart either, it happened to a few guys here, you can just imagine what happened to the guy's motor with all the foam particles and the pebbles, one guys motor swalloweg a small pepple and it ripped his piston, how it got into the chamber, I dont know, but we found bits of his piston in the header pipe. the motor was 10 or 11 tanks old. Lets just say that I got a fright...
Old 03-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you Cyba888, you have really helped, I dont really want to spend alot of cash but I also dont want it coming apart either, it happened to a few guys here, you can just imagine what happened to the guy's motor with all the foam particles and the pebbles, one guys motor swalloweg a small pepple and it ripped his piston, how it got into the chamber, I dont know, but we found bits of his piston in the header pipe. the motor was 10 or 11 tanks old. Lets just say that I got a fright...
Here is a link to the preworlds race. Check out what all the guys are using on their cars Glad I could help. One thing for sure is you can bet that thing wont fall off on its own. When I want to take it off you need to pry the dam thing open with some finger power or I sometimes use a small flat screw driver and pry it open from the bottom when my fingers are too dam greasy. One other thing is the filter is sponge on top and rubber on bottom so if it was hit it wont pop off due to its design. The filters with a hard top like the K&N(solid piece) will eventually not bend or be flexible and if it was hit, it will just pull the whole dam thing off. My 2 cents.
http://www.teammpp.com/preworlds

Last edited by cyba888; 03-04-2004 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

BaxterC........let see I can understand this issue, I think the only part that I don't understand is why your CARB AIR inlet is bigger then typical 12 Nova based engines..? All Nova based 12 engine (except those who run the OS type engine) are using the same diameter at the air inlet.

All NOVA based engine should be able to fit with this type of air filter....

http://www.mytsn.com/products/product.asp?prid=674

About the K&N filter....I don't want to say they are nothing but good, but 1 thing I can see..........when you look at that filter from the bottom right underneath a light, there are quite a lot of light went thru the filter, those are HOLES.........when you do the same thing on FOAM type filter, you won't have light see thru foam filter..............that means, those HOLES are too big and to allow dust and other object to go thru to your carb, and you don't want to see that happened on your $200 plus engine, right..?...........honestly, those filter are GOOD for real car, but still, the filter are NOT fine enough for 1/10th RC engine. (apparently, they are only 1/10th smaller in size but NOT 1/10th scale FINER in the foam area)

If they are any good (or better)........you will see those filter everywhere at all major national races used by all team drivers.

Ventura is the white insert inside the carb that can be change to different sizes in order to change engine performance or fuel milage.......that has nothing to do with the carb's outside diameter.

About what happened to your friend's engine....I never seen that happen, but 1 thing for sure, those foam filters are good for like 2-3 races (full race) and that is considered a CHEAP WAY to do....for those who ran $300-500 engine, they use a brand new foam filter on each race day.

If Nova MEGA or Rossi filter is too expensive for you, take a look at RD Logic's filter under www.speedtechrc.com, they are like $8 for 2..........I think spending $4 for 2-3 races to protect the $200 plus engine is cheap enough...........and you cannot be too cheap on RC sometimes - period.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Diesel Racer
Mark the lower rear wish bones are definitely weaker, almost pulled my pivot ball out after only a minor cartwheeling experience!!! the front bumpers are also prone to breaking apparently.
Have to second that...but Serpent will be releasing New LowerRearWishbone with better material I think... After a couple of cartwheeling I could just pull off the pivotball with my fingers. Added some CA just to secure it.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Talking Here's the evidence you've been looking for D!!!

Not so far with the assembly yet, but here's a couple of full technicolour D1 pics!
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-710_1.jpg  
Old 03-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Here's the evidence you've been looking for D!!!

I'm using the race brake disc and pads, as can be seen here.

More pics when I get some more time.

Cheers, Mark.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-brake1.jpg  
Old 03-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Tech Adept

[B]Well, I think after cartwheeling, your bumper and rear wishbones will be a little more prone to breakage than normal... well, no offence intended.
None taken, but my Impulse Pro was the best cartwheeling car at the track and still lives to tell the tale.
Well, I am after some decent advice as this is the only place to get good advice... what do you all think of this airfilter...? http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/ca...oducts_id=2472

and this one?

I've run the K&N, the size they recommend for a .12 engine is too small, your'll probably need the one for the .21 engine to fit properly, the main problem is that they weigh about 20 grams heavier than a normal filter and that weight sits up high.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Here's the evidence you've been looking for D!!!

Not so far with the assembly yet, but here's a couple of full technicolour D1 pics!
Ahh, she looks so sweet Mark.

Raced indoor just now and naturally had my first big shunt onto the boards,, broke one pivot ball and steering block.

Definitely time to build my second car ... anyway am jealous looking at pics of your new one.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Here's the evidence you've been looking for D!!!

I'm using the race brake disc and pads, as can be seen here.

More pics when I get some more time.

Cheers, Mark.
Did the kit came with the vented disk brake?

Or is your girlfriend venting some braking on you now!
Old 03-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cyba888
So whats the difference between the S5 and P5? MY bad, mine is the P5
Ummm, the fuel tube, fuel tank and belts look too new ! Have you driven the car yet?

S5 is based on the NSR version of the NovaMax which is with the micro casted piston which should be the one that is currently sold. The P5 is the older one based on the NS piston.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.